Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not a single trade in four years... that is odd?

They were a draft and develop team. Still are... Look at their D... Young and really good. Got some forwards with talent but not enough yet... Goaltending not so good... Darling has been a bust. 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

They were a draft and develop team. Still are... Look at their D... Young and really good. Got some forwards with talent but not enough yet... Goaltending not so good... Darling has been a bust. 

Im sure glad we didnt offer Darling a big contract.  What goofball suggested that anyway? (hint: it was me)

TSN1290 this morning suggesting that the owner was upset they werent aggressive at the deadline.  I suspect the owner sees the struggle to attract fans and wants more "excitement".  In his mind, bring in some names, make some deals, generate excitement.  But that is always short term excitement.  the GM is playing the long game.  So...if nothing else, the Canes might be really entertaining to watch (front office wise) over the next couple of years. But hopefully they dont trade away too much youth for when they move to Quebec.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im sure glad we didnt offer Darling a big contract.  What goofball suggested that anyway? (hint: it was me)

TSN1290 this morning suggesting that the owner was upset they werent aggressive at the deadline.  I suspect the owner sees the struggle to attract fans and wants more "excitement".  In his mind, bring in some names, make some deals, generate excitement.  But that is always short term excitement.  the GM is playing the long game.  So...if nothing else, the Canes might be really entertaining to watch (front office wise) over the next couple of years. But hopefully they dont trade away too much youth for when they move to Quebec.

From those in NJ for #NHLJets morning skate— Steve Mason is day-to-day with lower body injury so Michael Hutchinson is headed back to join the team. Sara O

Mason can't seem to catch a break this year.  

On 3/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting, by these results, Crosby is exceptionally respected by the players.

I saw a post the other day about "hating" Sidney Crosby.

I don't get it. neither does Mark Scheifele..... his article a while ago said this about Crosby:

But even if you’re as smart as Sid, and as physically gifted, there are a million other variables going on. Maybe you’re on a back-to-back on the road. Maybe your coach is on you, or you got into an argument with your girlfriend, and you’re up in your own head. Can you do it every single night, for 82 games, plus the playoffs, for more than 10 years, without ever regressing?

This is what Sidney Crosby has done, and it really is mind-blowing.

From a technical perspective, he skates the puck through the neutral zone better than anyone I’ve ever seen. His edge work and lower body strength are incredible. The guy can play keepaway in the corner for 15 seconds by himself. But to me, the most underrated thing about Sid is his willingness to make everybody around him better. You saw it in the playoffs the last two years. You could see Sheary and Guentzel learning from him on almost a game-by-game basis.

and more.

I for the life of me don't get how people can't see this. 

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

I saw a post the other day about "hating" Sidney Crosby.

I don't get it. neither does Mark Scheifele..... his article a while ago said this about Crosby:

and more.

I for the life of me don't get how people can't see this. 

Its just the jealously thing and the "Im too cool to like the popular guy".  Wayne was hated by tons of fans too and people argued he wasnt *that* good.  Mario wasnt so much but he played in Wayne's shadow but I remember Mario getting a lot of flak when he retired the first time.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its just the jealously thing and the "Im too cool to like the popular guy".  Wayne was hated by tons of fans too and people argued he wasnt *that* good.  Mario wasnt so much but he played in Wayne's shadow but I remember Mario getting a lot of flak when he retired the first time.

Mario didn't get flak for retiring - he had fkn cancer.

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He didnt retire due to cancer.  He took time off and returned in spectacular fashion.  He had long been critical of the way the game was heading and felt the NHL wasnt doing enough to protect star players.  He then retired.

Is this like that MJ retired 'cuz of gambling, theory?

Mario retired 1st time because of cancer.  2nd retirement was 6 weeks after being diagnosed with irregular heartbeat. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/mario-lemieux-retires-from-hockey-1.618542

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Is this like that MJ retired 'cuz of gambling, theory?

Mario retired 1st time because of cancer.  2nd retirement was 6 weeks after being diagnosed with irregular heartbeat. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/mario-lemieux-retires-from-hockey-1.618542

He had cancer in 1993.  He retired in 1997. 

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He didnt retire due to cancer.  He took time off and returned in spectacular fashion.  He had long been critical of the way the game was heading and felt the NHL wasnt doing enough to protect star players.  He then retired.

His first retirement in 1997 was due to health/injury issues. His second and final retirement in 2006 was when he admitted he couldn't keep pace with the "newer" and faster NHL (hard to blame the guy at 40 years old) and chose to hang up his skates for his good. He had also been struggling an irregular heartbeat caused by arterial fibrillation.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

His first retirement in 1997 was due to health/injury issues. His second and final retirement in 2006 was when he admitted he couldn't keep pace with the "newer" and faster NHL (hard to blame the guy at 40 years old) and chose to hang up his skates for his good. He had also been struggling an irregular heartbeat caused by arterial fibrillation.

No.  He had cancer in 93.  He retired in 97.  His retired for good in 2006 after a series of health issues and cited his heath (and being able to play at an elite level) for his retirement. 

He had been a regular critic of clutch & grab hockey before his first retirement.  He never claimed its why (as far as I know).  You are free to debate that.  But the original point is clear, which is that I said Mario was largely free of the "he's so popular so Ill dislike him to be cool" thing but did receive flak for his criticism of the game.  Sort of in the vein of Sid being called a crybaby.  People said Mario wanted to be free to play a free-wheeling style (why wouldnt he lol).

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No.  He had cancer in 93.  He retired in 97.  His retired for good in 2006 after a series of health issues and cited his heath (and being able to play at an elite level) for his retirement. 

He had been a regular critic of clutch & grab hockey before his first retirement.  He never claimed its why (as far as I know). 

https://www.si.com/vault/1997/04/14/8113107/no-regrets-mario-lemieux-has-decided-to-end-his-brilliant-nhl-career-and-for-himbut-not-for-the-penguinshis-retirement-is-coming-not-a-moment-too-soon

"With fewer penalties being called, scoring is down league wide this season, and shutouts are up. The number of power-play goals has dropped 26% since last season, from 1.81 per game to 1.34. "Goaltenders are certainly better than in the past," Lemieux says. "The coaching is better too. Now even bad teams have [defensive] systems. If the refereeing was different, the systems would still work, but not as well. In basketball, teams that don't have talent don't win. Hockey is different. The NHL allows lesser players to get away with things. It's a good time for me to get away, because if the league expands again, the problem will just get worse. There will be more and more unskilled players."

And one less magically skilled player. When Lemieux is asked if he would reconsider retirement if the NHL assured him that next season the refs would enforce the rules as written, he shakes his head and smiles ruefully. "They've fooled me once," he says. "They're not going to fool me twice."