Looking Ahead: Montreal Vs Winnipeg

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

yikes.

I'm surprised Alexander was put at SAM over Carmichael. IMO Carmichael had a decent PS playin in for Leggett, and so far Alexander has been the better DB than Carmichael

Carmichael sure looks like he was over-estimated in his talent or smarts or both. Can't believe he is still on the roster after being torched in two games.

A decent write up from Bomber Buzz:

"While Carmichael seems to be the consensus scapegoat for Bomber fans, it was actually Walker who made more crucial errors that Lulay was able to exploit.

Boundary defenders Chris Randle and TJ Heath were targeted merely a combined four times, which is a season-low for both the 2016 and 2017 seasons, by a team that attacks the short-side of the field more frequently than most offenses. 

Instead, Lulay and the offense took their shots at field-side halfback Roc Carmichael and field-side cornerback Brian Walker, who each had 7 a whopping seven targets, while strong-side linebacker Brandon Alexander was tested three times himself."

Edited by Mr Dee

45 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

A decent write up from Bomber Buzz:

"While Carmichael seems to be the consensus scapegoat for Bomber fans, it was actually Walker who made more crucial errors that Lulay was able to exploit.

Boundary defenders Chris Randle and TJ Heath were targeted merely a combined four times, which is a season-low for both the 2016 and 2017 seasons, by a team that attacks the short-side of the field more frequently than most offenses. 

Instead, Lulay and the offense took their shots at field-side halfback Roc Carmichael and field-side cornerback Brian Walker, who each had 7 a whopping seven targets, while strong-side linebacker Brandon Alexander was tested three times himself."

I'm no expert so hopefully someone with more knowledge can enlighten me but wouldn't it make sense to split up Heath and Randle on opposite sides to prevent a team from staying away from them entirely as opposed to going unbalanced?

3 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I'm no expert so hopefully someone with more knowledge can enlighten me but wouldn't it make sense to split up Heath and Randle on opposite sides to prevent a team from staying away from them entirely as opposed to going unbalanced?

Each is still only covering one man or zone at a time.  I'm not sure how much Randle could help Carmichael at HB or Heath help Walker at CB.  So basically all you'd be doing is taking one of our good DBs out of a high-traffic area and putting them into a lower-traffic area and moving an inexperienced DB into a tougher spot.  

In other words, you could put Carmichael at boundary HB and he's just going to get picked on even more because it's an easier throw most of the time.  Randle would still have his own responsibilities to look after.  I suppose it could help with communication but not sure if that's been the issue or not.

4 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

My (likely wrong) understanding is basically Field is the wide side of the field from where the ball is placed, Boundary is the short side of the field. On the big CFL field, field side throws are long throws, lower percentage second read options, typically. Boundary are shorter higher percentage passes generally. Locking down the boundary side as we are forces more difficult pass attempts, and lets the safety cheat a bit too probably. 

Get well soon Bruce

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Feel like edm will beat us but the rest we should beat. However, with our tendency to give up as many passing yards as is possible and only playing a half of football per game we probably win 4. 

I think Edmonton can be had. They were a bit lucky to get past Hamilton so with some of the guys back it could be fun.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Honestly with the inconsistency of our offence and more precisely QB play for 4 games this season it's impressive that we've basically been in every game, for 3 quarters in the case of the Calgary game.

The offence got us 35 points against BC  so they can do it but whoever goes totally conservative once we get ahead latter in the game has to get his way of thinking readjusted. Nichols sure seem quite comfortable trowing the longer ones until we got in a good position. Then, it looked like Willy was back. Short passes to Harris hoping he would break for at least 10. I'm not sure who is responsible but PaPo has to be somewhat responsible in his position.

Running a string of 2 and out late in the game will make the defence look bad. On the bright side... we have not had any illegal block or holding on punt returns so that is a relief.

30 minutes ago, do or die said:

Watching the Bombers chew up the clock on the last drive, with the 3 yd passes.....was infuriating

How so? BC was only bringing 3 and dropping everyone else. Nichols isn't going to push the ball down field at the best of times. Never mind when the game is on the line. BC was leaving one of our best offensive weapons wide open (harris) so Nichols was taking it. And it worked. they got into field goal position. It just didn't work out the right way.

When the game is one the line you don't throw up prayers unless you have no other option. (stegalls catch). Take what the D is giving you and walk down the field. They had enough time to do it and the O moved the ball into scoring position. For a tie, which is not ideal. But better than throwing a bomb into double/triple coverage and ending the game with 45 seconds left.

They should have been playing to win earlier in the 4th q. The final drive wasn't the time to take risks given the circumstances. 

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How so? BC was only bringing 3 and dropping everyone else. Nichols isn't going to push the ball down field at the best of times. Never mind when the game is on the line. BC was leaving one of our best offensive weapons wide open (harris) so Nichols was taking it. And it worked. they got into field goal position. It just didn't work out the right way.

When the game is one the line you don't throw up prayers unless you have no other option. (stegalls catch). Take what the D is giving you and walk down the field. They had enough time to do it and the O moved the ball into scoring position. For a tie, which is not ideal. But better than throwing a bomb into double/triple coverage and ending the game with 45 seconds left.

They should have been playing to win earlier in the 4th q. The final drive wasn't the time to take risks given the circumstances. 

They got us to a 50 yard field goal attempt.  IMO that's the goal, especially considering time remaining and Medlock's usual proficiency.  Thought it was a nice drive but that last play to leave us with 1 second could have been disastrous.

16 hours ago, Atomic said:

Each is still only covering one man or zone at a time.  I'm not sure how much Randle could help Carmichael at HB or Heath help Walker at CB.  So basically all you'd be doing is taking one of our good DBs out of a high-traffic area and putting them into a lower-traffic area and moving an inexperienced DB into a tougher spot.  

In other words, you could put Carmichael at boundary HB and he's just going to get picked on even more because it's an easier throw most of the time.  Randle would still have his own responsibilities to look after.  I suppose it could help with communication but not sure if that's been the issue or not.

Yeah my thought was more to improve communication, or to separate the rookies so they aren't isolated on one side of the field.

I thought too that if say you had Heath and Alexander on one side together and they were running zone, the QB needs to be accurate and on time with the throw or a guy like Heath can jump the route. Just another way to possibly help out the new guys.