Looking Ahead: Montreal Vs Winnipeg

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

while this is true, he is getting his touches and whatnot..  its the run game that wears down the defense.. keeps them honest.   smashmouth football makes the d-line tired and keeps the LBs and even DBs watching the LOS more if we can do it effectively... we we go away from it, they can go back to floating back and watching from a distance and then flow down to the ball after its caught (usually 4-5 yards from the 1st down marker for some odd reason)

Agreed. Just adding my 0.02 to keep things in perspective. It's not as if Harris is a weapon who's not being used. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

Agreed. Just adding my 0.02 to keep things in perspective. It's not as if Harris is a weapon who's not being used. 

yup very true.  he is very active in our offense even if its not simply as a ball carrier.. hes blocking, hes leaking out as a a bleed valve option and hes running receiver routes.. 

I do wish we were utilizing his ball carrier skills more so tho. 

**According to TSN’s Joey Alfieri, Tyrell Sutton will sit out Montreal’s Week 6 matchup with the Bombers. Routine rest was part of the plan for the veteran RB but Sutton is also dealing with a calf injury, meaning Brandon Rutley gets the start 

This a huge development for the Game. A key weapon out of the lineup. Not to say that Rutledge is a slouch, but Sutton IS the better back.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So apparently Roc works hard, has lots of potential and is doing many things well according to MOS in the Sun. Can I get a WTF?

He's a rookie playing one of the hardest positions in the game. A month in isn't the time to decide a guy is useless. There's lots of other new faces on D as well so it's going to take some time. 

The way I look at it is, they believe they have a quality player in Carmichael and he is worth the rough patches we are seeing. It's really not his fault he couldn't sit on the PR, or backup position for a while to fill his knowledge reservoir. 

We know he is being targeted, but we still could have had a 3-1 record playing 3-4 rookies on D. It's not his fault the opposition benefitted from 2 'lapses' in judgment.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He's a rookie playing one of the hardest positions in the game. A month in isn't the time to decide a guy is useless. There's lots of other new faces on D as well so it's going to take some time. 

nope! who cares if hes shown glimpses of good play mixed in with his getting whooped.. cut his ass and put in someone who is hopefully better.. couldnt be worse, could they?  well ya I mean they could be but hey at least they tried..  don't think porter or walker have looked all that stellar either.

its entertaining how people presume to know what it takes to be a DB in the cfl and if the player is worth taking their time with.. guy covers well and is quick.  has a good eye for the ball.. I can't see why he isn't worth giving another game or two to, to see if he can get it together..

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It was just more of a general observation of the entire season to this point. He's averaging under 12 touches per game on the ground, so I think that could be increased.

I wonder if there would've been more success later in the game had the run game been established earlier on, though.

Maybe they're saving Harris for the playoffs. :rolleyes:

1 thing I will say about Carmichael is it was nice to see him actually looking back to the ball vs BC.  Seems in the first few games he was constantly playing the man,  getting beat then trying to play catch up in hammering out the ball.  While he still got beat playing the ball this past game,  at least he got a pick, tho I don't think our O did anything with it

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My memory is a bit fuzzy... but it feels like to me that whenever Sutton plays against us he would always manage to rack up a lot of 10 + yard carries against us. 

Since his debut in 2013, here are his stats vs. WPG:

• 10/14/2013 - week 16: 5 CAR, 35 yards, 1 TD (20 LG) **L**
  • 08/22/2014 - week 9: 1 CAR, 6 yards / 3 REC, 90 yards (71 LG) **L**
  • 07/10/2015 - week 3: 14 CAR, 74 yards, 2 TD (19 LG) / 2 REC, 6 yards (7 LG) [1 REC must've been for a loss] **L**
  • 09/20/2015 - week 13: 12 CAR, 49 yards (17 LG) **W**
  • 08/26/2016 - week 10: 10 CAR, 33 yards (11 LG) / 7 REC, 65 yards (16 LG) **L**

I'd say you're correct in that he's had considerable success and managed some high yardage plays. Fortunately, the Bombers have won 4/5 of those games.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

On the afternoon show on 1290, Darren Bauming had a couple of interesting tidbits from his chat with O'Shea. The first thing Bauming had of interest is that O'Shea never admits to making a mistake. The second thing is that they are going to start Carmichael against the Alouettes, because " they want to see what he's got". I could have sworn that he's already shown what he's got and it isn't good enough.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

On the afternoon show on 1290, Darren Bauming had a couple of interesting tidbits from his chat with O'Shea. The first thing Bauming had of interest is that O'Shea never admits to making a mistake. The second thing is that they are going to start Carmichael against the Alouettes, because " they want to see what he's got". I could have sworn that he's already shown what he's got and it isn't good enough.

I'd like to know exactly what that means and how it was presented...

Just now, Noeller said:

I'd like to know exactly what that means and how it was presented...

Go to the 1290 archives and you can hear it verbatim. The gist was that O'Shea doesn't admit when he/the team has made an obvious mistake and say something like, "We made a mistake. We'll learn from it and move on." It's just ignored, and that may be why we have had so many instances like the Drew Willy era where the coaching staff didn't seem to learn.

8 minutes ago, tracker said:

Go to the 1290 archives and you can hear it verbatim. The gist was that O'Shea doesn't admit when he/the team has made an obvious mistake and say something like, "We made a mistake. We'll learn from it and move on." It's just ignored, and that may be why we have had so many instances like the Drew Willy era where the coaching staff didn't seem to learn.

total bullshit...I'm certain I've heard him say the highlighted above...

39 minutes ago, tracker said:

I can buy this, O'Shea is defensive to an extraordinary degree, some would even say he's combative....but not me.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

They do have Ed Tait, who I think is really  the main team spokesdude/person.

Ed points out the pluses, but he is definitely not afraid to admit and discuss mistakes.

For instance he was the guest  on the latest John Hodge Blue Bombers podcast. He does not shy away from criticism of the team, and individual players.

Head coach just can't do that.

I don't really expect the head coach to say much of anything to the media/fans. I never bother listening to their interviews, except for the funny guys, They just don't say anything much at all.

exception maybe Paul Maurice, who is really good in this dept.

Head coachs are in a no win situation, in media interviews.

Edited by Mark F