Odds and Sods - Bombers at BC Lions

Totally not dire, we beat 2 teams we should have, lost to a team (BC) where realistically it should have been a 50/50 toss up and it was, and save for a punt fake brain fart and a  odd miss by Medlock should have been a Bombers win.

Experts had us supposed to be losing to Calgary, but if we didn't get the Carmichael off-side the game may have been a totally different story, as well as the pick six didn't help. Good teams don't make those mistakes, but we weren't really outclassed or beaten mercilessly.

I think doom and gloom and questions should be expected if over our remaining games up to labour day we have a losing record

16 hours ago, tracker said:

It would be nice if the O-line started playing like all-stars. Haven't seen them blow too many D-men off the line of scrimmage so far. They've done a good job of protecting Nichols for the most part.

I agree.  the protection has been there.. and they have opened some nice holes for Harris but more consistency would be nice but this will come with time I'm sure.

11 hours ago, J5V said:

Good grief, Spuds. We just got torched for nearly 50 points against BC. Our O went 6 straight 2-and-outs when we needed them most on the way to blowing a greater than 2 TD lead. We're drooling over the prospect of getting Bruce Johnson back, a guy we regularly roasted here last year. Nichols is an average to below average QB and no, guys like Hurl, Carmichael, and Pat Neufeld don't excite me. Yes we have some *good* players, but your definition of stud and mine are obviously different. If Leggett, Heath, Randle, Loffler, Westerman, Nevi(n)s and Johnson, along with the others you mentioned, are your very best, upper echelon players, how do you explain the results? Coaching? Or are they studs too?

I was gonna reply to this but everyone else pretty much summed it up for me.. 

6 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

Ryan Smith

Weston Dressler

Clarence Denmark

Travis Moore

Rory Kohlert 

Romby Bryant

Aaron Kelly

Tori Gurley

^^^ All free agents who chose to sign here.  Is the receiver success due to the receiver, or is their success tied to the QB and the offensive production.

Nick Moore??

Edited by bearpants

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Other than BC you've named one receiver for each team.  OK here is the Bombers' receiver: Weston Dressler.  Or do the Bombers' receivers have to be equal to the entire league combined?

Remember when you placed the teams on the pier levels? Where would you put those receivers including Dressler? He's good, he's not Manny Arceneaux.

BC has for my money the best receivers in the league, not really a fair comparison because there can be only one team with the best receivers in the league. 

Bomber receivers are a bit average, but they can get the job done. Dressler is playing like a top receive so far, he's just different than a guy like Arceneaux because of his physical attributes. I mean you're not going to see Dressler impose his will on dbs like Arceneaux can, but you're also not likely to see Arceneaux do some of the things in the backfield with the ball that Dressler does. Apples to oranges. 

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So because we don't have Manny Arceneaux, O'Shea is not able to attract good players?  That's some fuzzy logic.

It's not my argument. Guys like Noeller keep talking about O'Shea and how all these great players want to be here and play for him. 

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

It's not my argument. Guys like Noeller keep talking about O'Shea and how all these great players want to be here and play for him. 

I never said that.....I said people want to play for MOS, which is true, because he doesn't publicly throw people under the bus. 

Just now, J5V said:

I'm too busy to dig up the quotes but I've seen it more then a few times in a player interview that players are happy to be here playing under o'shea or that because he is the coach, they opted to sign here..    I know Westerman for sure was one that been quoted for sure.. oko too I had thought.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

BC has for my money the best receivers in the league, not really a fair comparison because there can be only one team with the best receivers in the league. 

Bomber receivers are a bit average, but they can get the job done. Dressler is playing like a top receive so far, he's just different than a guy like Arceneaux because of his physical attributes. I mean you're not going to see Dressler impose his will on dbs like Arceneaux can, but you're also not likely to see Arceneaux do some of the things in the backfield with the ball that Dressler does. Apples to oranges. 

Right, they're not on the same level. None of our receivers are. We've done SFA in that department. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I never said that.....I said people want to play for MOS, which is true, because he doesn't publicly throw people under the bus. 

AND this team has been quite successful at luring free agents here so the guys point is useless anyway. You can't sign everyone every offseason but we've seen lots of players choose to be here and most of them do cite O'Shea as a big reason. 

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Right, they're not on the same level. None of our receivers are. We've done SFA in that department. 

Umm I said Dressler was playing like a top guy, is that not doing anything about it? They liked Adams and signed him as a free agent so that's doing something. They tried with Nic Moore but he was too often injured to work. They signed Ryan Smith last offseason but he retired. So tell me, where on earth do you get this idea that they aren't doing anything about the receivers? 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh, please... What free agents are you upset about the Bombers not getting? And if Arceneaux is the only one you can mention, you may as well just drop out of the discussion.

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Because players have been quoted multiple times saying O'Shea was a factor in them coming here.  Just because your favourite player isn't on the Bombers doesn't make that point untrue.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

AND this team has been quite successful at luring free agents here so the guys point is useless anyway. You can't sign everyone every offseason but we've seen lots of players choose to be here and most of them do cite O'Shea as a big reason. 

Oh c'mon, what do you expect them to say? Are these "lots of players" SJ Green, Chris Williams types or the lesser-lights just happy to be picked up by someone? Nic Moore never excited me. Neither did Tori Gurly.

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh c'mon, what do you expect them to say? Are these "lots of players" SJ Green, Chris Williams types or the lesser-lights just happy to be picked up by someone? Nic Moore never excited me. Neither did Tori Gurly.

But I'm not talking about just receivers you know. Drake Nevis for example, hardly a just happy to have a job guy was one, Ogopogo was a big name free agent and he said O'Shea was a reason. 

Have you stopped to think that the bombers might actually like the receivers they have? Besides that Nic Moore whether exciting or not is a damned good receiver, he just never stayed healthy. He did a lot of good things here when in the lineup. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But I'm not talking about just receivers you know. Drake Nevis for example, hardly a just happy to have a job guy was one, Ogopogo was a big name free agent and he said O'Shea was a reason. 

Have you stopped to think that the bombers might actually like the receivers they have? Besides that Nic Moore whether exciting or not is a damned good receiver, he just never stayed healthy. He did a lot of good things here when in the lineup. 

....And had a damn fine bag of chips....

40 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Weston Dressler, while perhaps past his prime, is an elite receiver in this league. How's that even in question?

I don't think hes passed his prime yet either to be honest.  Hes still quick as hell, slippery and can take a solid hit and get back up again..  Maybe he is in the twilight of his prime hasn't past it yet, imo.

To tell the truth, for at least 90% of players, its all about the money. The odd one, like Dressler may choose to be in a given place because its close to home, but those are few. Would a player sign for less because O'Shea is here? I doubt it. If they signed in expectation of playoff money, they were disappointed.

Edited by tracker