Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think Glenn is a foregone conclusion. When asked about that Walters basically gave the "he wants more money than we have budgeted for the position" Honestly I think Davis is likely to be the backup going into the season. 

It's just silly to me to think that just because a 3rd stringer hasn't been in a position where he's had to start that he is suddenly not worth keeping around. QBs take time to ripen and you seem to want to move on from a guy they have invested time into right when he should potentially be starting to pay off. 

So, I don't get your point. You don't like my opinion about Davis saying it's not smart to sign someone else at #3 & that getting rid of him is precisely why the Bombers never develop our own qbs. I agree with you about that but disagreeing with me makes no sense when you should be questioning Walters & O'Shea for how they handle the backup qb position, especially O'Shea. After Willy was traded, they signed Kevin Glenn & made him the backup qb. They didn't promote Davis from #3 to #2 as you'd expect if they truly wanted to develop their own in house qb long term. Then after they signed Glenn in September he never played a single, solitary ground nor did Davis. With Nichols getting every snap after Willy was traded it meant Davis saw no action & he continued to languish on the bench at #3 behind Glenn. You can't develop a qb standing on the sidelines holding a clipboard. Only getting on the field in meaningful situations would have made Davis a better player. So, if he isn't seeing any playing time why bother "developing" him as O'Shea doesn't think Davis is important enough to be the actual  #2 or get any meaningful playing time? The Bombers created this hierarchy at qb. O'Shea just makes it worse when he plays the starter the entire way Marc Trestman played Calvillo. There was no qb development with the Als under Trestman either. So like I said, get on the Head coach's case if you want the Bombers to develop Davis.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

A cursory googling will show that Dominique Davis was bouncing around the NFL in 2014; he joined the CFL in 2015 with Calgary. Not that that's the important part. If he's brought back then that means the coaches think he is doing things right in practice and has the potential to do something good down the road. You don't want your 3rd string QB to be starting often. I remember rushing 3rd stringers Justin Goltz and Robert Marve into action and it didn't go so great.

Marve's knees were shot like Joe Namath so thinking he may be the next starter didn't make a lot of sense as he didn't last very long once he played. He had the skill set but not the physical capability anymore with his 2 injured knees. Goltz just couldn't do it as he wasn't that good to begin with as we all saw once teams forced him to throw from the pocket. He couldn't read defenses & he was the epitomy of the 2013 season & why I never want to remember it again as long as I live.

16 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

You seem to be forgetting that a third string QB is one hit away from being the backup, and then one hit away from starting.  We've seen teams end up with multiple QB injuries in the same season and having to utilize their "interchangeable" guy.  You're being more than a bit myopic.  

Okay true, but does O'Shea seem worried about Davis seeing any playing time for development purposes when he's 2 hits away from being the starter? He obviously isn't concerned.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay true, but does O'Shea seem worried about Davis seeing any playing time for development purposes when he's 2 hits away from being the starter? He obviously isn't concerned.

How many games did other teams 3rd stringers (not including Montreal) get significant playing time in that was not due to injuries? 

26 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

How many games did other teams 3rd stringers (not including Montreal) get significant playing time in that was not due to injuries? 

26 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

We don't even play the backup qb so that's my entire point. Why worry about developing Davis when we never will once Nichols is signed?

I don't get it. So your point is if we have a starter why do we even bother with backups?

Why does a backup QB even step on the field? Most of the time it's because the starter is hurt or not performing well. You don't want to see your third stringer on the field. At least not if you like winning football games.

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, I don't get your point. You don't like my opinion about Davis saying it's not smart to sign someone else at #3 & that getting rid of him is precisely why the Bombers never develop our own qbs. I agree with you about that but disagreeing with me makes no sense when you should be questioning Walters & O'Shea for how they handle the backup qb position, especially O'Shea. After Willy was traded, they signed Kevin Glenn & made him the backup qb. They didn't promote Davis from #3 to #2 as you'd expect if they truly wanted to develop their own in house qb long term. Then after they signed Glenn in September he never played a single, solitary ground nor did Davis. With Nichols getting every snap after Willy was traded it meant Davis saw no action & he continued to languish on the bench at #3 behind Glenn. You can't develop a qb standing on the sidelines holding a clipboard. Only getting on the field in meaningful situations would have made Davis a better player. So, if he isn't seeing any playing time why bother "developing" him as O'Shea doesn't think Davis is important enough to be the actual  #2 or get any meaningful playing time? The Bombers created this hierarchy at qb. O'Shea just makes it worse when he plays the starter the entire way Marc Trestman played Calvillo. There was no qb development with the Als under Trestman either. So like I said, get on the Head coach's case if you want the Bombers to develop Davis.

I believe that I read that after Willy was traded and Glenn was brought in that Davis actually took all the second team reps in practice. Glenn was there for an emergency like in 2007. If the same situation that happened in 2007, happened last year, I think it's a no brainer that Glenn is the starter. Just because a player hasn't started doesn't mean he can't play. There has to be a reason why Davis was getting 2nd string reps. 

I think if Nichols is signed, Davis is number 2, and a new project at number 3. 

I just don't think you invest the time and money into Davis and then toss it away like that.

9 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

I believe that I read that after Willy was traded and Glenn was brought in that Davis actually took all the second team reps in practice. Glenn was there for an emergency like in 2007. If the same situation that happened in 2007, happened last year, I think it's a no brainer that Glenn is the starter. Just because a player hasn't started doesn't mean he can't play. There has to be a reason why Davis was getting 2nd string reps. 

I think if Nichols is signed, Davis is number 2, and a new project at number 3. 

I just don't think you invest the time and money into Davis and then toss it away like that.

It's done all the time. Drew Willy.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Implying Willy was tossed away? Did they not return an all-star player and first round pick for him? Not really being tossed away

The Bombers invested starters money & 2 1/2 seasons into Willy as a qb. Then he went from the unquestioned starter to being demoted in the snap of Mike O'Shea's fingers after 6 games of indecision. Then traded. The "snap of the fingers" is meant to be satirical. Personnel decisions like this are done all the time.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, MOBomberFan said:

I don't get it. So your point is if we have a starter why do we even bother with backups?

Why does a backup QB even step on the field? Most of the time it's because the starter is hurt or not performing well. You don't want to see your third stringer on the field. At least not if you like winning football games.

Mike O'Shea plays his starter like Trestman did in Montreal. The backups never play & therefore never develop. As I may have said, don't shoot the messenger. Blame O'Shea for that.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mike O'Shea plays his starter like Trestman did in Montreal. The backups never play & therefore never develop. As I may have said, don't shoot the messenger. Blame O'Shea for that.

I think you're struggling with the concept of a starting QB.  You play your started because he's the best QB you have.  You don't play backups unless you have to, otherwise you are downgrading your most important position for the sake of some playing time.  In this past year especially, there were few games where things were so lopsided (one way or the other) that playing the backup(s) was warranted.   Besides, Glenn doesn't need a whole bunch of reps to be effective.  He can come in cold and hit one of the opposing DB's with a strike at  just about anytime.  Davis might see so play time this year, but don't expect to see a ton of it.

It's pretty clear that O'Shea believes that you pretty much always go with your best option at QB.  You let your starter play because he's the guy that's going to get you there (not to mention the fact that you're paying him to play).  You play your backup only if you have to.  

15 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think you're struggling with the concept of a starting QB.  You play your started because he's the best QB you have.  You don't play backups unless you have to, otherwise you are downgrading your most important position for the sake of some playing time.  In this past year especially, there were few games where things were so lopsided (one way or the other) that playing the backup(s) was warranted.   Besides, Glenn doesn't need a whole bunch of reps to be effective.  He can come in cold and hit one of the opposing DB's with a strike at  just about anytime.  Davis might see so play time this year, but don't expect to see a ton of it.

It's pretty clear that O'Shea believes that you pretty much always go with your best option at QB.  You let your starter play because he's the guy that's going to get you there (not to mention the fact that you're paying him to play).  You play your backup only if you have to.  

Trestman did that in Montreal as I said. How has that worked out for the Als? I do know the concept of using a starting qb but the way O'Shea plays anyone who starts it really doesn't matter as they won't ever play enough to develop. That's his philosophy & it may cost us someday. As long as the starter is healthy then there are no worries. Big worries once there is a major injury at qb.