Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Glenn would be a stop-gap until the "next one" arrives and probably couldn't advance the team in the play-offs any further than Nichols.

Next one? Do you mean since the Tom Clements or Khari Jones eras? We don't have the greatest reputation in finding & developing our own quarterbacks, do we? We never found or developed those 2. The last one actually was Dieter Brock, I believe.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Next one? Do you mean since the Tom Clements or Khari Jones eras? We don't have the greatest reputation in finding & developing our own quarterbacks, do we? We never found or developed those 2. The last one actually was Dieter Brock, I believe.

That's why I used the word "arrives", never said anything about "developing" him.

I'm still struggling to understand what the big deal is concerning the idea of "developing" a QB.  Does it really matter?  Do you get 3 points for a win if you "developed" the QB? Personally, I don't care how or where a QB was developed.  The only thing I care about is how good the QB for the Bombers is.  That's it.  Did we "develop" Khari?  Don't care.  How did he do when he strapped on the pads?  That's the only thing I worry about.

And please don't try and suggest that "developing" our own is somehow cheaper, because in these days of free agency, you're only going to get a cheap QB for a couple of years at the most, before the market steps in and adjusts.  Nor does it really say much about the scouting department because finding a kid out of college who will develop into the next Ray/BLM/Calvillo is so hit and miss that it's more luck than anything else.  So I don't care if we ever "develop" our own.  Just get one that can win games for us, you know, like Nichols did this past season.

Buono has a history of developing his guys and Hufnagel developed  Mitchell.  The list is short of organizations that have developed their own guy

Edmonton- Reilly was with BC

Sask- Developed Durant but easily on his last legs with nobody behind him

WPG- Edmonton developed Nichols

Toronto- Ray was with Edmonton, and Willy was with WPG and Sask

Montreal is trying to develop their guy but is experiencing some (predicted ) growing pains in doing so

Hamilton- Collaros developed by Toronto

Ottawa- Harris developed by toronto and Burris developed by himself (just ask him)

1 minute ago, tracker said:

The biggest perceived advantages to growing your own QB is in fan identification with him and possible loyalty to the organization for doing the work to groom him.

That's just it.  Those things are really an illusion.  

If the QB is good, the fans will identify.  Go to Calgary and I'm betting you'll see a lot of BLM jerseys.  Ask the fans why they are weaing them and I'm betting the zero percent will say "I got this because we developed him ourselves"  Now go to Hamilton and see if there are a lot of people wearing Collaros jerseys.  I'm betting that the percentages of QB jerseys in those two towns will be fairly similar, even though Hamilton didn't develop him.

As for loyalty to the organization, you can actually purchase that.  I'd be surprised if there's any player in this league that would be prepared to offer his first team a significant discount in salary simply because he's "loyal".  Some guys might want to play for a specific team, but there are very likely other factors, like a spouse's employment or other family stuff that will come into play long before loyalty kicks in.

In our case, Sukh Chungh (yes, I know he's not a qb) was developed by this team and I'm sure if you ask him, he'll tell you how proud his is to be a Bomber etc etc.  But come the end of his contract (if we can't re-sign him) I'm betting Sukh's going to be way more loyal to his wallet that he is to the Bombers.  

Developing a player means next to nothing now when talking about retention.   Yes, you'll save a little salary for the first contract, but that's it   You keep them through $ and $ alone, regardless of how you got them in the first place. 

31 minutes ago, tracker said:

The biggest perceived advantages to growing your own QB is in fan identification with him and possible loyalty to the organization for doing the work to groom him.

You can take player loyalty and shove it up your Muamba as far as it goes.  It's overrated compared to $$$.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

Walters is kind of painted into a corner...  he gave Willy '$400k' so Nichols deserves at least that...

Meanwhile Buono probably has Jennings for $250k for three years or something crazy...

Not nearly the same situation. Willy was a high upside young qb in a severe buyers market. and the last guy left. Nichols is in in a sellers market with more qbs then spots, isnt a high up side guy, isnt as young, etc. Chances he improves on the big step forward he took last year with his skill set is slim. You dont suddenly become able to ace deep shots. 

Just buono being buono. Hes a puppy mill when it comes to QBs. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not nearly the same situation. Willy was a high upside young qb in a severe buyers market. and the last guy left. Nichols is in in a sellers market with more qbs then spots, isnt a high up side guy, isnt as young, etc. Chances he improves on the big step forward he took last year with his skill set is slim. You dont suddenly become able to ace deep shots. 

Just buono being buono. Hes a puppy mill when it comes to QBs. 

I'd just like to point out that Nichols is actually 4 months younger than Drew Willy, and it was only a year ago that Willy signed the big contract.

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

2668_011.jpg