Jump to content

Canadian Politics


Recommended Posts

Especially disappointed with the lack of action on telecom giants. That's one thing that I think separates the NDP and Libs - NDP is really pushing telecom reform and I think they would actually fulfill a lot more of the green talk than the Libs as well. I do like that the Libs actually instituted a price on carbon though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Especially disappointed with the lack of action on telecom giants. That's one thing that I think separates the NDP and Libs - NDP is really pushing telecom reform and I think they would actually fulfill a lot more of the green talk than the Libs as well. I do like that the Libs actually instituted a price on carbon though.

My biggest issue with the NDP right now is that most of their platform revovles around policies outside their jurisdiction. The things they want to do are Provincial jurisdiction. It's okay to have some, like childcare, which can be achieved because the provs want it too and they want the money. An NDP govt would not be able to get cooperation from most provs with their policies. They would be forever frustrated and achieve little. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

My only real concern in this election is ending the pandemic and making sure it doesn't get extended further than it needs to. I believe that Erin O'Toole's Canada looks a lot like Jason Kenney's Alberta. I've seen that TV show and don't want a movie thanks. 

yeah seeing Conservative premiers handling of the pandemic was enough to make me not want to vote Conservative either (I just voted today btw)

Edited by iHeart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Because the Liberals are pro big business and Bay Street. They'll spend like crazy but won't hold Bay Street accountable for anything. They are maddening. Sometimes, when you're trying to be balanced to both sides, you end up screwing both sides. 

I guess we have yet to see a party in power - that holds big business accountable for anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, iHeart said:

yeah seeing Conservative premiers handling of the pandemic was enough to make me not want to vote Conservative either (I just voted today btw)

Other than his weak enforcement of the rules at times Pallister has had tougher rules than most provinces. We were if not the 1st  we were one of the 1st  to have a vaccine pass and reopen based around that.

Ford in Ontario has also had strict rules and was better with enforcement. 

Vaccination  levels also don't reflect  badly on all Conservative governments.

Alberta and Saskatchewan are indeed examples of Conservative failures but other non conservative governments have had huge issues as well. 

There is lots to rip the current Manitoba government and ex Premier on ( Bill 64, health decisions, stupid comments ) But it's pretty hard to argue that they have mismanaged the pandemic. Both our vaccination numbers ( some of the highest in the country despite Southern Health ) and our current infection numbers would argue against that.

 

Edited by the watcher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, the watcher said:

Other than his weak enforcement of the rules at times Pallister has had tougher rules than most provinces. We were if not the 1st  we were one of the 1st  to have a vaccine pass and reopen based around that.

Ford in Ontario has also had strict rules and was better with enforcement. 

Vaccination  levels also don't reflect  badly on all Conservative governments.

Alberta and Saskatchewan are indeed examples of Conservative failures but other non conservative governments have had huge issues as well. 

There is lots to rip the current Manitoba government and ex Premier on ( Bill 64, health decisions, stupid comments ) But it's pretty hard to argue that they have mismanaged the pandemic. Both our vaccination numbers ( some of the highest in the country despite Southern Health ) and our current infection numbers would argue against that.

 

Disagree. We were fortunate to have delayed waves multiple times and this forth wave appears to be the only time we've somewhat listened to doctors who said we can't relax restrictions. We've paid for not listening to experts with crises in personal care homes and ICUs that required sending people out of province and left people with non-covid conditions dying because of lack of capacity. We removed health care positions during the pandemic, I can specifically think of in Southern health region before their first big wave I believe. Even when Pally removed mask mandates and vaccine requirements recently (despite experts saying don't) he said "We are not like other jurisdictions and yahoo for that".

We have been fortunate, I'm not too sure why, to have waves be delayed in Manitoba, yet we've never, with possible exception of this 4th wave, taken the steps to ensure we are prepared, but instead ran victory laps. Other areas have been hit hard as well, but we've consistently been unable to learn from their example and not do it. This started last summer when we refused mask mandates and spent public funds to attract large scale events. Continued with the horrors in personal care homes and they've consistently criticized medical experts that speak out and "biased" media that report on their shortcomings.

I give credit to sensible Manitobans for the higher vaccination numbers, but partial credit to our government for going back and implementing restrictions and mask mandates. Yahoo for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

CBC has confirmed that O'Toole met with gun manufacturers and promised to revoke the ban on assault rifles and he has also committed to selling off the CBC if elected.

May I ask where you saw that because it's not on the CBC website, Global's or CTV 's. As both stories  would be  breaking news I find that odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I voted today as well.... Had time and figured why not. The CPC guy is gonna lose some votes to whack job alt rights in this riding but will still win handily. I knew my vote wouldn't matter so I voted for the party rather than the potential MP. I'll sleep soundly with that tonight... 

I did pretty much the exact same - drove past Petersfield Hall and saw the advanced polls were still open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, the watcher said:

May I ask where you saw that because it's not on the CBC website, Global's or CTV 's. As both stories  would be  breaking news I find that odd.

It was on cbc radio Sunday

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It was on cbc radio Sunday

AKedOLS4MqqI13I0gmxD-aMEJ-3ypFDd4ijRrNX9
CBC News: The National
 
1.19M subscribers
 
 
SUBSCRIBE
Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole is facing new criticism for saying he wouldn’t repeal a ban on assault-style weapons if elected, even though his platform promises to do it.

EmailFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

Conservative leadership candidate Erin O’Toole is promising to end funding for CBC’s digital news services and to eventually sell off its English-language television operations.

In one of his campaign’s first major policy announcements, O’Toole said he would leave CBC Radio and Radio-Canada untouched, but end CBC’s English-language digital news footprint and move to privatize its English TV operations. 

That would be done by slashing CBC’s television budget in half and eliminating advertising on its networks, before moving to sell off its English-language TV entities.

“Our plan will phase out TV advertising with the goal to fully privatize CBC English TV by the end of our first mandate,” he said in a video posted to social media on Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

It was on cbc radio Sunday

AKedOLS4MqqI13I0gmxD-aMEJ-3ypFDd4ijRrNX9
CBC News: The National
 
1.19M subscribers
 
 
SUBSCRIBE
Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole is facing new criticism for saying he wouldn’t repeal a ban on assault-style weapons if elected, even though his platform promises to do it.

EmailFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

Conservative leadership candidate Erin O’Toole is promising to end funding for CBC’s digital news services and to eventually sell off its English-language television operations.

In one of his campaign’s first major policy announcements, O’Toole said he would leave CBC Radio and Radio-Canada untouched, but end CBC’s English-language digital news footprint and move to privatize its English TV operations. 

That would be done by slashing CBC’s television budget in half and eliminating advertising on its networks, before moving to sell off its English-language TV entities.

“Our plan will phase out TV advertising with the goal to fully privatize CBC English TV by the end of our first mandate,” he said in a video posted to social media on Friday.

So Otoole is definatly confusing on the assault weapon ban. Some flip flopping going on. So whether it gets repealed or not is a good question. As far as the CBC / CPC  battle it has been going on forever. The CBC has no balanced coverage when it comes to the CPC  and the CPC looks at that 1 billion dollar plus budget and start salivating.  The CPC has lots of ammo to attack  the television side because their ratings are awful. The only program they run that makes top 30 is Coronation Street. In the last week of August there were 8 news broadcasts in the top 30 watched programs . None were CBC . Canada's least watched news. I believe part of the reason for that is they are not balanced in their portrayals.  If they could fix that the CPC would have less of an argument. Regardless selling the CBC is a bit of an exaggeration. 

Edit : my numbers are from here https://en.numeris.ca/media-and-events/overview

Edited by the watcher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-lashes-out-protester-derogatory-remark-wife-1.6174623

Quote

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau was met with more angry protesters Monday, including one man who challenged him to a fight and hurled a slur about his wife.

Trudeau pulled his mask down to yell at the heckler, who was pacing back and forth, yelling profanities and waving his arms outside the Global News studio in Burnaby, B.C., where the Liberal leader had arrived to do an interview, according to footage captured by Global News.

"Isn't there a hospital you should be going to bother right now?" Trudeau said sarcastically to the demonstrator.

jim halpert gifs Page 59 | WiffleGif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, the watcher said:

So Otoole is definatly confusing on the assault weapon ban. Some flip flopping going on. So whether it gets repealed or not is a good question. As far as the CBC / CPC  battle it has been going on forever. The CBC has no balanced coverage when it comes to the CPC  and the CPC looks at that 1 billion dollar plus budget and start salivating.  The CPC has lots of ammo to attack  the television side because their ratings are awful. The only program they run that makes top 30 is Coronation Street. In the last week of August there were 8 news broadcasts in the top 30 watched programs . None were CBC . Canada's least watched news. I believe part of the reason for that is they are not balanced in their portrayals.  If they could fix that the CPC would have less of an argument. Regardless selling the CBC is a bit of an exaggeration. 

Edit : my numbers are from here https://en.numeris.ca/media-and-events/overview

So the CPC will eliminate advertising on CBC TV to prepare it for sale to private interests that will require advertising.  It doesn't take a genius to realize they want to destroy what's left of what they started destroying under Harper.

Local programming is almost unwatchable, not because of bias - but because local news programming and staff were slashed under Harper.  You need staff to create strong programming and it sure doesn't start and end with reporters.

I hear claims of liberal bias in regards to the CBC, but I hear equal claims that they are too conservative and need to get rid of what's left of Harper's board appointees.  If both sides of the spectrum are complaining, it tells me that they're not as biased as some people suggest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing job by O'Toole to keep Kenney, Moe, Pallister and Ford hidden for the past month. Can't let anyone remember what a disaster our country would be if the Conservatives were in charge of the entire country over the past 19 months. They would have tried to kill us all, if they could have. 

Seriously, they want you dead:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...