Canadian Politics

Just now, the watcher said:

I suspect it will be a Liberal minority and this entire discussion  will be pointless.  Kind of like the election .

I've been told by O'Toole and Singh that Trudeau is incompetent and should be removed as Prime Minister? You don't believe that? 

I agree that it will probably be a Liberal minority.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

One way or another, regardless of the election outcome, I suspect this will be Justin Trudeau's swan song. He has shown poor judgement and calling the election (if it was his choice) would be the coup de grace. Besides, someone has to take the bullet.

Oh, he's done. I feel like this timing was to get a Liberal majority, so he could step aside in a safe way. Isn't going to work out that way but he'll still be gone. 

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The PPC is polling 7%, in spite of their ridiculously unprofessional signage.  It won't make a difference in rural ridings, but in more tightly contested ridings, this will work in the Liberals' favour.  It's not looking good for team O'Toole - could see a Liberal majority today, if we want one or not. 

Dont think it means much. Only one party can take votes from CP. 2 parties can take votes from LIB.

29 minutes ago, Tracker said:

One way or another, regardless of the election outcome, I suspect this will be Justin Trudeau's swan song. He has shown poor judgement and calling the election (if it was his choice) would be the coup de grace. Besides, someone has to take the bullet.

He's a giant flake but he's teflon Trudeau :D 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

know BC politics moves to the beat of its own drum but they have been NDP and Liberal pretty much since 1991

liberal.... in name only.  B.C. Liberal party is right wing, and very corporate friendly. last premiere, christy clark. "Clark also faced "relentless criticism over bottomless corporate and foreign donations that gave her party a four-fold advantage over the NDP, such that even The New York Times labelled B.C. the "wild west" of political cash and the province's elections agency referred its investigation to the RCMP". During her leadership of the B.C. Liberals, she had shifted them "so far to the right [with regards to environmental and energy policies] to appease its ascendant federal Conservative flank it is now unrecognizable from the centrist party led by Gordon Campbell, her predecessor"

they basically gave away much public land  on vancouver island to logging companies.

I just took a look at the ndp, record in b.c.. not  very Left wing since Barrett.

anyway.. 1991..... lot of damage to healthcare can be done in a lot less time than thirty years, as Manitobans and Albertans are seeing.

the idea that b.c. is some kind of lefty haven is wrong.  there are all kinds of right wingers.

Edited by Mark F

My prediction is PPC will under-perform their poll numbers. They have been really pushing to show that they are an alternative and voting for them isn't splitting the right, but rather the only real option for conservatives. They've been desperately trying to make their own polls because the mainstream media polls are biased. (Don't ask how polls they create on their own pages aren't biased) They've made strides, but have come up short. I have a feeling once many of them realize the late surge will only help form a Liberal government, they'll chicken out and vote CPC.

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

liberal.... in name only.  B.C. Liberal party is right wing, and very corporate friendly. christy clark. "Clark also faced "relentless criticism over bottomless corporate and foreign donations that gave her party a four-fold advantage over the NDP, such that even The New York Times labelled B.C. the "wild west" of political cash and the province's elections agency referred its investigation to the RCMP". During her leadership of the B.C. Liberals, she had shifted them "so far to the right [with regards to environmental and energy policies] to appease its ascendant federal Conservative flank it is now unrecognizable from the centrist party led by Gordon Campbell, her predecessor"

I just took a look at the ndp, record in b.c.. not  very Left wing since Barret.

anyway.. 1991..... lot of damage to healthcare can be done in a lot less time than thirty years, as Manitobans and Albertans are seeing.

BC has the craziest politics in the country. And that goes back a long way.

Just now, the watcher said:

BC has the craziest politics in the country. And that goes back a long way.

not crazier than alberta, but anyway... I lived in b.c. when I was a kid, there was a cabinet minister who got so many speeding tickets he was called flying Phil Gallardi 😅

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

not crazier than alberta, but anyway... I lived in b.c. when I was a kid, there was a cabinet minister who got so many speeding tickets he was called flying Phil Gallardi 😅

Flying Phil was a former mayor of my hometown.

And a point on your previous post, BC Liberals are liberal in name only .. so much this and makes me cringe that they wear that brand.

Just now, bustamente said:

In all probability a Liberal minority, see you all again in a couple of years😁

I don't think it will last, which makes this an even worse gamble for Trudeau. He'll want out, so they'll need a new leader. Trying to convince anyone to prop up a gov't that's losing it's leader won't be easy. In fact, both Cons and NDP would be foolish not to take the opportunity to throw them out. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't think it will last, which makes this an even worse gamble for Trudeau. He'll want out, so they'll need a new leader. Trying to convince anyone to prop up a gov't that's losing it's leader won't be easy. In fact, both Cons and NDP would be foolish not to take the opportunity to throw them out. 

If LIB minority as the polls say it'll last. NDP get what they want for as long as they want.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If LIB minority as the polls say it'll last. NDP get what they want for as long as they want.

They didn't really for the past two years. A good minority gov't will play both sides to get what they want. Harper did that for a while, until the Libs and NDP thought they could take him down and flip the House. Didn't work out for them. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So, any guesses on when a winner will be announced? Will we know by tomorrow morning? With mail in ballots it feels like results take longer than ever to be confirmed. 

My guess is that it'll be Thursday at the earliest.  The mail in voting will really delay things and I expect quite a few recounts since winning margins are going to be slim.   Also every ballot is counted by hand too.   they will also count the advance polling ballots at this time ...  which I don't understand why they would not count them after the advance polls closed.    But who am I to tell elections Canada how to do an election.

Personally, I hope Tru-dolt is gone, and that the Conservatives form government, but I suspect a Lib minority, much to my chagrin.

29 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So, any guesses on when a winner will be announced? Will we know by tomorrow morning? With mail in ballots it feels like results take longer than ever to be confirmed. 

I suspect we will have good guess an hour after ONT closes. Mail-in apparently was way under estimates so....

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Yeah, we'll know tonight for sure....I don't think mail in will have that much of an impact. And don't forget, they don't close the polls at the same time across the country. It's staggered now, so we'll see the Maritimes coming in in just a couple of hours...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, we'll know tonight for sure....I don't think mail in will have that much of an impact. And don't forget, they don't close the polls at the same time across the country. It's staggered now, so we'll see the Maritimes coming in in just a couple of hours...

Sooooo,,,they've been drinking?