Canadian Politics

12 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Green party needs a new leader and a name change, PPC is not going away and the Bloc seems to be players again

Greens are tied to an international movement. There won't be a name change, but likely leadership will change as the current leader even discussed leaving the party before the vote.

How do you figure the Bloc are players again? Currently they are down seats from last election. Or do you mean holding balance of power in the upcoming election?

1 minute ago, WildPath said:

Greens are tied to an international movement. There won't be a name change, but likely leadership will change as the current leader even discussed leaving the party before the vote.

How do you figure the Bloc are players again? Currently they are down seats from last election. Or do you mean holding balance of power in the upcoming election?

For some reason I though they had 10 seats at dissolution of parliament

9 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Players as much as they ever are. Up a few when they're cranky, down some when they're not. Rinse, repeat. 

The Green party had always been way out in the wilderness (no pun intended). There is a lot of overlap with fringe protest parties. 

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Nice to see Bernier not win this own riding. 

3 times a loser. I wish I could see him lose another dozen times but, really, I just hope he goes away. So close to the leadership of the Cons. 

6 minutes ago, bustamente said:

For some reason I though they had 10 seats at dissolution of parliament

Two elections ago. Doucette's last. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Same old same old. Glad to see Bernier not elected. Ted Falk did though so that's a wash.

He'll have to drive to Ottawa. Hope he has to stay in his home there, completely isolated. 

That was a huge waste of time but I'm always happy to see an active democracy. Canadians weren't happy about this election but they still exercised their right to vote. 

JT needs to hit the road. 

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm watching Global TV. No local breakaway coverage like they used to do. I was watching CTV for awhile. same thing. Just lousy coverage. 

I've been really impressed with the CBC coverage. They have some really good presenters. Rosemary Barton, Ian Hanomansing, a bunch of other good ones too.

40 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I've been really impressed with the CBC coverage. They have some really good presenters. Rosemary Barton, Ian Hanomansing, a bunch of other good ones too.

Rosie B is a superstar...love that woman. Hanomansing has been a true pro from his earliest days at the mother corp. The both of them with Gerry Butts and others did a great job tonight... I've been mostly watching CTV NN, and Hairdo Laflamme is underwhelming, IMO...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Rosie B is a superstar...love that woman. Hanomansing has been a true pro from his earliest days at the mother corp. The both of them with Gerry Butts and others did a great job tonight... I've been mostly watching CTV NN, and Hairdo Laflamme is underwhelming, IMO...

I turned off Global. It was just so damned boring. I watched CTV as I'm not a Rosie Barton fan.

One thing Elections Canada fooked up. Should have been 8 days/8hr a day advance polling. With no poll clerk helping DRO this year they could have at least allowed same household people to work a table together.

Should be good for 4 years right? 🙄

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

6 hours ago, bustamente said:

Green party needs a new leader and a name change, PPC is not going away and the Bloc seems to be players again

I'm not a Green supporter & I will never vote for them. I'd vote NDP before I ever vote..... nah, it will never happen. However, I think a lot of Canadians still think that the Greens are still a bunch of enviro nuts from Europe stuck in the 80's. As well, people think Elizabeth May is still a wingnut. She looks to be the interim leader as Annamie Paul will be pushed out. They're stuck at 2% popularity & are fortunate they won 2 seats. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

One thing Elections Canada fooked up. Should have been 8 days/8hr a day advance polling. With no poll clerk helping DRO this year they could have at least allowed same household people to work a table together.

Should be good for 4 years right? 🙄

It wasn't Elections Canada. There are rules. EC asked to have two days of polling, over the weekend to make it easier. 

Thoughts :

- Neither Trudeau, O'Toole,  or Singh were able to make any real headway in convincing Canadians they should lead the country.

- The Liberals again win the most seats but lose the popular vote

- The PPC were pretty much a non factor except in one riding in Atlantic  Canada where they may have changed the out come. It's still disturbing that not far off 1 million people voted for them. Bernier is left peeking in  the windows of the house which is a good thing.

- 8700 people chose to support the PPC , placing them 2nd in Portage Lisgar, ( my riding ) which is embarassing. 

- Trudeau says he now has a clear mandate............um, okay. He never was good with numbers

- A pointless election, called during the 4th wave, that no one wanted. Basicly the electorate has said " F### off , leave it alone and get back to work " to all the parties.

Edited by the watcher

8 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Thoughts :

- Neither Trudeau, O'Toole,  or Singh were able to make any real headway in convincing Canadians they should lead the country.

- The Liberals again win the most seats but lose the popular vote

- The PPC were pretty much a non factor except in one riding in Atlantic  Canada where they may have changed the out come. It's still disturbing that not far off 1 million people voted for them. Bernier is left peeking in  the windows of the house which is a good thing.

- 8700 people chose to support the PPC , placing them 2nd in Portage Lisgar, ( my riding ) which is embarassing. 

- Trudeau says he now has a clear mandate............um, okay. 

- A pointless election, called during the 4th wave, that no one wanted. Basicly the electorate has said " F### off , leave it alone and get back to work " to all the parties.

Yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, and yup. 

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/09/election-results-everyone-lost/

OTTAWA – Early reports from Elections Canada indicate that all political parties have lost the election.

With all polls reporting, Elections Canada has confirmed that no one got what they wanted.

Liberal leader Justin Trudeau could not obtain his majority, Erin O’Toole made virtually no gains despite wearing tight shirts for magazine photo-ops, and Jagmeet Singh’s popularity barely budged on TikTok.

“I can confirm everyone who took the effort to learn my name has already forgotten it,” said what’s-her-name from the Green Party.

Voters also lost a significant amount of sleep watching the nearly identical results from 2019 roll in with the same political pundits with slightly greyer hair.

The total cost to confirm that all the party leaders lost was $610 million.

The only victory was Maxime Bernier humiliating himself once again.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

A useless election that changed nothing in the grand scheme of the political landscape in this country.

Basically what any rational person expected back in August.

No such thing as a useless election. Every time we get to let our voices be heard is a good thing. 

That nothing changed is OK. They asked the public what they wanted, the public said status quo please.