Canadian Politics

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Answer is in the second post.

I thought that was for a separate graph. But either way it seems to be a flawed methodology. This is the problem with how some of these surveys are done, and they just feed the “fake news” disinformation confirmation bias.  And this is a survey I would tend to agree with. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I thought that was for a separate graph. But either way it seems to be a flawed methodology. This is the problem with how some of these surveys are done, and they just feed the “fake news” disinformation confirmation bias.  And this is a survey I would tend to agree with. 

The survey basically reflects how mis/disinformation is effecting voter intentions.  The graphs reflect different questions and some respondents' willingness to ingest B.S.  If you click the link, the whole poll, methodology and conclusions are there.

On 2023-04-17 at 12:03 PM, Bigblue204 said:

As a PP supporter, can you point to 1 single policy change/update/addition/subtraction that you think will improve lives in the country? Ideally with how it will improve life...as in don't just say he will defund the CBC, and not explain why that would be good etc.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or catch you. I'm honestly interested in why you think the PCs under PP will be an improvement. As I have yet to see anything other than "Jt bad" "cbc bad" "more freedom" from them/him.

I am not saying life with the CPC under PP is going to make life better. I just cannot stomach rewarding a government as corrupt as the Liberals currently are with another term, and quite frankly the CPC cannot do anything worse than what the Liberals are doing. I want to see an increase in oil production in Alberta, I want a government that will reduce spending, and I want a tired and increasingly corrupt government ushered out. These are the things I am willing to vote for, and you can all dislike it if you want. Won't change my X on election day.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not saying life with the CPC under PP is going to make life better. I just cannot stomach rewarding a government as corrupt as the Liberals currently are with another term, and quite frankly the CPC cannot do anything worse than what the Liberals are doing. I want to see an increase in oil production in Alberta, I want a government that will reduce spending, and I want a tired and increasingly corrupt government ushered out. These are the things I am willing to vote for, and you can all dislike it if you want. Won't change my X on election day.

Spite is a powerful thing.  Own the Libs!

On a more serious note, oil production has way more to do with world prices than what any Federal Government thinks.  But hell, let's throw money at a resource entering obsolescence.  

Edited by Wideleft

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Really dislike them. Not going to apologize for it. They represent everything that I dislike about modern day politics, particularly Justin Trudeau. If the Liberals dump Trudeau and bring in a quality leader of integrity, I would probably change my stance. I could support Garneau for PM.

On a more serious note, oil production has way more to do with world prices than what any Federal Government thinks.  But hell, let's throw money at a resource entering obsolescence.  

I like a strong Alberta. I don't feel enough is being done to ensure that on a Federal level. Oil is not going to be obsolete for another 40-50 years no matter how much the environmentalists would like to see it gone. I think it was epically stupid for Trudeau to turn down Germany and Japan on natural gas as well.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Really dislike them. Not going to apologize for it. They represent everything that I dislike about modern day politics, particularly Justin Trudeau. If the Liberals dump Trudeau and bring in a quality leader of integrity, I would probably change my stance.

Poilevre being more palatable than Trudeau is like Ted Cruz being more palatable than Beto O' Rourke.

Like I said, spite is a power thing.

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Poilevre being more palatable than Trudeau is like Ted Cruz being more palatable than Beto O' Rourke.

Like I said, spite is a power thing.

Imagine Polievre being considered the top choice for PM in the country right now according to NANOS. If this is spite, then I am most certainly not alone. Besides, it is almost a certainty that the next election will result in a minority government. If PP is as bad as Trudeau he won't last long.  I am not thrilled with the prospect of a CPC majority under PP, but I can certainly live with a CPC minority if it means the end of Trudeau's career.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Like I said, spite short-sighted stupidity to "vote out a gov't I don't like" is a power thing.

FTFY

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Imagine wanting PP in power. The ****ing worst. 

Says a lot about anyone who'd actually vote for him or his party come election time. And using public polling in a lame attempt to justify such a decision and bolster it with "other Canadians agree with me" proves how uninformed a lot of people in this country are right now.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

He stood with terrorists while they were terrorizing the citizens of Ottawa. That's all you need to know about him and the people that would vote for his party. 

While previously taking a dump on actual protesters who were defending their land rights and the environment. The man's a ghoul.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

FTFY

Says a lot about anyone who'd actually vote for him or his party come election time. And using public polling in a lame attempt to justify such a decision and bolster it with "other Canadians agree with me" proves how uninformed a lot of people in this country are right now.

Same people that vote for the UCP, Sask Party, PCs here and Ontario and blame Ottawa for everything. Can't articulate any policies (because they are none). 

Snowflakes. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/singh-tax-worker-ceo-pay-1.6813968

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh pitched a plan Tuesday to increase corporate taxes based on the size of the gap between worker and CEO pay — but the legislation may run afoul of House of Commons rules on who can bring forward tax measures.

The plan would raise the corporate income tax on a sliding scale, depending on the ratio between the pay of a company's CEO and the median pay of the company's workers. According to an NDP news release, the tax increase would be 0.5 per cent if a CEO makes 50 to 100 times the median income of workers, and would rise to a five per cent increase if a CEO makes a salary 500 times or more higher than the median income of workers.

House of Commons rules forbid private members' bills from making changes to taxation, with an exception for bills that create exemptions from new taxes or new tax increases.

"A private member's bill cannot impose, increase or extend the application of a tax," says the House of Commons guide on practice and procedure.

Singh did not say how he would get around the rule, adding he hasn't drafted the bill yet.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I liked PP before he took over the leadership spot honestly, well outside of the fact that he's a career politician which imo shouldn't be allowed. But since taking over the leadership spot he's devolved into essentially a political troll. He doesn't put anything forward. He walks the line when it comes to interacting with some questionable figures. And he blames things on people/systems that any career politician should know aren't responsible (I believe that he does know these things, but chooses language to increase rage against others). Or he says things like "I'm going to run for Prime minister" Which I know looks like it's nitpicky....but I see it as pushing an american style of governance on people who are likely very confused about OUR system. And I can't support anything like that. I've been anti america since clinton.

He's also starting to lean in on the drag show stuff, which is just so absurd. And while this isn't completely related to PP alone, it certainly pertains to the people who will be voted in for him to win....but what I'm seeing around that topic (drag queens/trans) is strikingly similar to closeted politicians screaming and yelling about gay marriage all the while having secret same sex relationships. I don't want to say we have a bunch of child molesting politicians...but...if history has taught us anything...

This is a pretty solid retort given the target.

good job firing back. But not a chance in hell am I going to believe there's no scratch your back, you scratch mine, type of deal going on there should the opportunity arise. Especially if like they said they have decades of friendship. I wouldn't believe it from the PCs and I don't buy it from him. 

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

good job firing back. But not a chance in hell am I going to believe there's no scratch your back, you scratch mine, type of deal going on there should the opportunity arise. Especially if like they said they have decades of friendship. I wouldn't believe it from the PCs and I don't buy it from him. 

Each family has a godparent in the other.  No ****!

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

But since taking over the leadership spot he's devolved into essentially a political troll

He has always been a troll... he was another one of Harpers attack dogs like Jason Kenney. Yell loudly about how awful the other guys are and point fingers. Just doing the exact same thing he has always done. It's just way more obvious when you're the leader. 

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

yeah but there doesn't need to be vacations for that to happen. Trudeau is a spoiled rich kid, no **** he goes on vacations with other rich folks. The influence is already bought and paid for with all political parties anyway. 

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

FTFY

While previously taking a dump on actual protesters who were defending their land rights and the environment. The man's a ghoul.

You think hurling insults makes anyone change their mind? You are the Liberals worst enemy in that regard. It just re-inforces what many feel about the Liberals right now. That they are self indulgent, spoiled, corrupt, and their only defence is to hurl insults and play identity politics. People are tired of it.

4 hours ago, WildPath said:

He has won three elections in a row and is the 10th longest serving PM we've ever had (and counting). That's a pretty solid length of time being right.

Hmmm..you've changed your mind that elections will determine who is right then? Good to know. I won't point out your flip flop because I agree with you. That being said, yes Trudeau was obviously the right choice for enough of the electorate for the past 10 years. He was never my choice, but I defer to the results and won't whine about them. The people spoke, while being a pretty underwhelming mandate the past 2 elections he did keep the tag of being our PM. Don't see that happening next election.

Edited by GCn20

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He has always been a troll... he was another one of Harpers attack dogs like Jason Kenney. Yell loudly about how awful the other guys are and point fingers. Just doing the exact same thing he has always done. It's just way more obvious when you're the leader. 

yeah but there doesn't need to be vacations for that to happen. Trudeau is a spoiled rich kid, no **** he goes on vacations with other rich folks. The influence is already bought and paid for with all political parties anyway. 

Did he need to spend 160k of our taxpayer money for this? Entitlement....and it's gross.

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Allan Rocks's comments in the video below sum up Poilievre well.

Yet, board members who resigned said there were many on the board who wanted the Chinese donation investigated and resigned when this was not going to happen. Allan Rock can try blame PP all he wants, but questions into the Trudeau Foundation are absolutely warranted. It is gross and absurd to suggest otherwise.

Let's imagine a government under Pollievre. He's talked about putting the government on a diet and how Conservatives don't like social programs so we likely see a reduction in spending on social programs. He's advocated that bitcoin can buy our way out of inflation and for firing the head of the bank of Canada so let's assume interference in the Bank of Canada and oh maybe investing CPP $ in crypto or maybe pushing provinces to give power to crypto miners instead of prioritizing it for citizens. He continually derides experts so heaven help us when a crisis arises because he'll ignore them. Throw in convoy support and his woke is bad nonsense. Sounds like life in one of the worse Republican shitholes in the us.

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The people spoke, while being a pretty underwhelming mandate the past 2 elections he did keep the tag of being our PM. Don't see that happening next election.

Scheer did the same Trudeau/Liberal/Corruption thing that Pollievere is currently doing. This is a very different Liberal government fron the one Harper defeated.  They need to show that they have more in their arsenal than that.