Reffing & Reviews

BigBlue

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The chuck and challenge has become a feature of every teams playbook.  It's way out of hand.  It's also just ridiculous to watch replays in super slo-mo.

That drives me crazy too... suddenly any little bit of hand fighting looks like clutching and grabbing... all PI reviews should be in real time 

6 hours ago, Esks1975 said:

The most egregious of the blown calls was Jorden knocking down the DB in the end zone? The on-field officials correctly made that call. How that was changed to PI was truly amazing.

Well hey, he could've purposely tripped and fallen right in front of him. 

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, BigBlue said:

I think you would have to prove your 20-30 minutes ... but even if that were true I don't mind the time because I love football, every second of it ... besides there is a certain satisfaction in seeing an official judged wrong ... and they will be judged right a maximum of 4 times per game under the scenario I am suggesting ... more importantly, the more overturned calls there is (to the point of embarassment) the more likely it is the CFL will finally decide to improve its officiating

I love football too.

I don't love getting home at 1:30 AM from the stadium when I work the next day.

6 hours ago, Esks1975 said:

The most egregious of the blown calls was Jorden knocking down the DB in the end zone? The on-field officials correctly made that call. How that was changed to PI was truly amazing.

Interference takes place when a player obstructs, blocks, screens or charges towards an opponent, with or without direct contact, in such a manner that prevents the opponent’s approach to the ball carrier, potential ball carrier or the ball. Blocking is identified as the act of creating interference with contact.

Jorden was going towards the ball. DB was not.

Edited by JCon

7 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Get rid of reviews for illegal contact and put a time limit of 90 seconds on the rest of them.

I think there should be a time limit on reviews.

I also think the coaches should have to have throw the challenge flag within 10 seconds of the either the play ending or a penalty being called.

I believe they need to keep the PI reviews until the refs get better.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I love football too.

I don't love getting home at 1:30 AM from the stadium when I work the next day.

getting home at 1:30 is a parking problem ... its hysteria to think that overturning blown reff calls will add two to two and a half of time to a cfl game ... the proposition is you can only be wrong twice before losing all challenges and that "slight" calls away from the play be done away ... get real

2 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

getting home at 1:30 is a parking problem ... its hysteria to think that overturning blown reff calls will add two to two and a half of time to a cfl game ... the proposition is you can only be wrong twice before losing all challenges and that "slight" calls away from the play be done away ... get real

Maybe he was referring to the game that was delayed by the storm?

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They tried the time limit on reviews, they always went over it in the name of getting the call right. Honestly just ditch reviews entirely, let the refs do their jobs and we will live with the mistakes

That would be the worst possible world for Blue Bomber fans ... you think some of the reffs are biased now, let them be unbridled with no reviews ... and you will never see a memo from CFL HQ's to the reffs telling them to be more fair to Winnipeg!

No self defense to protect us from the reffs bad moods about having to work in Winnipeg ... are you nuts?

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They tried the time limit on reviews, they always went over it in the name of getting the call right. Honestly just ditch reviews entirely, let the refs do their jobs and we will live with the mistakes

They just need to stick to it. Kill the feed completely after 90 seconds.

I want obvious blown calls to be fixed. IMO that's what replay should be for. The ones where they have to study it in slo-mo for 15 minutes are what we need to get rid of.

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I want obvious blown calls to be fixed. IMO that's what replay should be for. The ones where they have to study it in slo-mo for 15 minutes are what we need to get rid of.

I like the idea of forbidding slo-mo except for whether a player stepped out of bounds ... otherwise 90 seconds is more thah enough ... bravo

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

That would be the worst possible world for Blue Bomber fans ... you think some of the reffs are biased now, let them be unbridled with no reviews ... and you will never see a memo from CFL HQ's to the reffs telling them to be more fair to Winnipeg!

No self defense to protect us from the reffs bad moods about having to work in Winnipeg ... are you nuts?

No I don't think refs are biased now. There is a difference between bias and incompetence. The CFL refs just aren't very good at their jobs and in my opinion the review process makes it easier for them to be bad at their jobs because they don't have to worry about making mistakes, replay will fix it. Without that crutch they would have to improve or they'd be out of a job. 

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No I don't think refs are biased now. There is a difference between bias and incompetence. The CFL refs just aren't very good at their jobs and in my opinion the review process makes it easier for them to be bad at their jobs because they don't have to worry about making mistakes, replay will fix it. Without that crutch they would have to improve or they'd be out of a job. 

I don't think they're bias, just incompetent.

However, I don't agree that removing reviews will lead to an improvement. Reviews were implemented due to poor refing, not because it was going so well. I think you can do both, improve the review process and improve refing.

Reffing in the CFL is no different than ANY organized sport. There are going to be mistakes. And a lot of them are in the fans' minds. I don't know how many times I've heard calls for penalties that are not penalties. And vice versa, the infamous missed calls. The fans see missed calls and the refs see calls that the fans miss. 

What the CFL is doing with reviews is commendable. The 1st model didn't work so well, but they're working on it. Less challenges, quicker decisions being rendered, and usually, the correct call.

But they do have to streamline it. SLO-Mo should only be used to determine out of bounds or contact with the ground. Not with any kind of contact.

It has been an effective tool, but it has been mis-used. Can they fix it off season? Of course they can. The officials, and  the Coaches now have better parameters to streamline the wording. They'll get something they can agree on, and we'll get closer to what we all want - better results.

Edited by Mr Dee

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Dude, seriously?  You actually think that there are refs out there going "Please give me a Bomber game to call cause I want to completely screw them over."  Ya, ok then. 

The NFL has full time refs and their officiating is, at times, BRUTAL! Would full time refs improve our product? Maybe slightly at best. One thing that needs to improve, besides all the challenges, is that "ref in the sky", the ref in the booth. He was supposed to correct the mistakes, but the guy did next to nothing.Waste of a salary if you ask me.

4 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I have to agree. Let's not throw baby out with the bath water.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Dude, seriously?  You actually think that there are refs out there going "Please give me a Bomber game to call cause I want to completely screw them over."  Ya, ok then. 

No I don't think that's happening. With refs the bias may be the other way. Not against one particular team, but in favour of a particular team. For example, if you're an offensive lineman, you may get away with holding more often if you play for team x but not team y. 

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

No I don't think that's happening. With refs the bias may be the other way. Not against one particular team, but in favour of a particular team. For example, if you're an offensive lineman, you may get away with holding more often if you play for team x but not team y. 

Ya, that's equally laughable.  So you're suggesting that this is the case "Please give me a Rider game because they're just sooooo dreamy."  Actually, I take that back.  It's not equally laughable, it's much more laughable.  You would, of course, have some evidence to back this up, or is this another one of those "opinions" that you like to fling around?

2 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

The NFL has full time refs and their officiating is, at times, BRUTAL! Would full time refs improve our product? Maybe slightly at best. One thing that needs to improve, besides all the challenges, is that "ref in the sky", the ref in the booth. He was supposed to correct the mistakes, but the guy did next to nothing.Waste of a salary if you ask me.

The NFL refs are not 'full time'.  They are discussing making them full time. 

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ya, that's equally laughable.  So you're suggesting that this is the case "Please give me a Rider game because they're just sooooo dreamy."  Actually, I take that back.  It's not equally laughable, it's much more laughable.  You would, of course, have some evidence to back this up, or is this another one of those "opinions" that you like to fling around?

I don't like to fling opinions around, I LOVE to fling opinions around, especially here. ;)

And yes, I do believe it's possible that some teams get a break from the officials from time to time. You know it's true. Hell, I've seen Wally ***** and moan his way into many such "breaks". For evidence, watch BC's last game against us. :o

The cheesiest feature of the modern CFL is the desperation fishing expedition where the coach looks for a chintzy illegal contact penalty to keep a drive alive.  Appeals should be for courtrooms, not sports fields.

But if we've gotta have PI challenges in the game, how about limiting them to just the intended receiver?  And I like the idea of allowing slow motion only under certain circumstances, like for fumbles and sideline calls.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the officials.  Seven guys have to watch 24 players across thousands of square yards of field and they have to judge plays that last tenths of a second where tiny details like hand placement matter. I'm impressed they get it right as often as they do.  I think that the game may be too fast for human beings to officiate perfectly.