Reffing & Reviews

BigBlue

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

The cheesiest feature of the modern CFL is the desperation fishing expedition where the coach looks for a chintzy illegal contact penalty to keep a drive alive.  Appeals should be for courtrooms, not sports fields.

But if we've gotta have PI challenges in the game, how about limiting them to just the intended receiver?  And I like the idea of allowing slow motion only under certain circumstances, like for fumbles and sideline calls.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the officials.  Seven guys have to watch 24 players across thousands of square yards of field and they have to judge plays that last tenths of a second where tiny details like hand placement matter. I'm impressed they get it right as often as they do.  I think that the game may be too fast for human beings to officiate perfectly.

This was one of the most enjoyable Grey Cup games and the officials did it right.

Only 11 penalties.. That is fantastic. 

A CFL statistic, according to a source reported by Rod Pedersen, had the offiating with a 97% success rate.

That means there was a lot of fan'atical blithering over 3%.

Mind you, those were some bad, bad calls in that tiny percentage.?

14 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

This was one of the most enjoyable Grey Cup games and the officials did it right.

Only 11 penalties.. That is fantastic. 

A CFL statistic, according to a source reported by Rod Pedersen, had the offiating with a 97% success rate.

That means there was a lot of fan'atical blithering over 3%.

Mind you, those were some bad, bad calls in that tiny percentage.?

I don't trust anything that Rod or the CFL puts out on officiating. Bias confirmation.

I don't blame the refs when they call lots penalties and don't praise them when they call only a few.

As long as they're getting the obvious ones correct, in particular when in front of them, it's all good.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:46 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's no coincidence that with the increased holding allowed by the O-line, QB injuries are down significantly this year from the last two.  I believe the league tolerates this compromise in order to keep their star players healthy and in the game.

They have let holding go for way longer than the last few years. It isn't a compromise they don't call it because there would be holding on nearly every play just like there was lots of PI/Contact not being called for the same reasons. Clean it up and you will get better o-linemen not only at the pro level but down through the amateur ranks.