Bombers sign Tori Gurley

Jacquie

a great, great pick up. Cant wait to see what he does in blue!

I wonder how our WR core will stack up at 100% healthy with considerations for the ratio though.

kohlert, dressler, denmark, gurley, and smith for now. Smith really hasnt lived up to the contract or his previous level of play. Im sure we will bring back mcduffie to split return duty with fogg. Either way Id say this is our best WR core since atleast bruce +stegall. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

a great, great pick up. Cant wait to see what he does in blue!

I wonder how our WR core will stack up at 100% healthy with considerations for the ratio though.

kohlert, dressler, denmark, gurley, and smith for now. Smith really hasnt lived up to the contract or his previous level of play. Im sure we will bring back mcduffie to split return duty with fogg. Either way Id say this is our best WR core since atleast bruce +stegall. 

Milt/Armstrong/Edwards was better.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I'm not really sure how the Bombers can justify keeping Ryan Smith in the lineup over Denmark if it comes to that.

weve made some confounding roster decisions, by play and production it should handily be smith on the outs. 

13 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Better not. If they release a player then it should be Smith.

Yeah. Mayo has shown some real nice flashes. Weve run packages for smith and he still hasnt found an niche here.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

weve made some confounding roster decisions, by play and production it should handily be smith on the outs. 

The Bombers invested a lot of $$$ in Smith & that should be addressed in the off season. Right now, it should be all about winning & putting our best receivers on the field. I'll be very angry if MOS puts in Smith over Denmark once Gurley is on the roster. Denmark has done everything asked of him & more since he came back & deserves to be playing over Smith.

Edited by iso_55

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm not in favour of releasing Smith... but I agree if they have to release one... I would prefer it is Smith and we keep Denmark...

I'm not simply because of age. I'm not interested in keeping the 31 year old over the 25 year old when their skill sets are very comparable. Smith is having a bad year. Absolutely, no doubt about it. He can bounce back.

Just now, Mike said:

I'm not simply because of age. I'm not interested in keeping the 31 year old over the 25 year old when their skill sets are very comparable. Smith is having a bad year. Absolutely, no doubt about it. He can bounce back.

That's fair and I thought about that too... but I don't think there's a situation where we absolutely have to release someone (at least not during the season) so it's probably a moot point anyways...

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sadly I agree. I'm for sure a Denny cheerleader, but even I have to acknowledge Smith's value in the long run. He's fast and young and has great hands. Denny is only 2 of those things. 

Edited by MOBomberFan
Stupid autocorrect

14 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Sadly I agree. I'm for sure a Denny cheerleader, but even I have to acknowledge Smith's value in the long run. He's fast and young and has great hands. Denny is only 2 of those things. 

So is Dressler, except an argument can be made that he has a hard time staying on the field. Something Denmark has never had an issue with. And between Dressler and Denmark, I'm sure the $$ difference is significant. Out of the three moving forward (next season and beyond) I'd honestly make it between Dressler and Denmark on who to cut and who to keep. All 3 are very similar, one is young, two are "old". Out of the two old, one is more expensive (assuming) and more prone to injuries. Both older guys have solid hands/routes/are clutch....what's the argument to keep Dressler over Denmark?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just think it's something to consider moving forward.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

So is Dressler, except an argument can be made that he has a hard time staying on the field. Something Denmark has never had an issue with. And between Dressler and Denmark, I'm sure the $$ difference is significant. Out of the three moving forward (next season and beyond) I'd honestly make it between Dressler and Denmark on who to cut and who to keep. All 3 are very similar, one is young, two are "old". Out of the two old, one is more expensive (assuming) and more prone to injuries. Both older guys have solid hands/routes/are clutch....what's the argument to keep Dressler over Denmark?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just think it's something to consider moving forward.

My argument would be that Dressler is exponentially better.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

My argument would be that Dressler is exponentially better.

Exponentially? I don't see that big of a talent gap. Especially when you consider injury history and salary. Injury history plays an even bigger role if Smith is on the roster as well. As both Dressler and Smith have missed significant time the past two seasons now.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Next game, starting receivers should be : Dressler, Denmark, Gurley, McDuffie/Smith, Kohlert

After the bye, it should be : Adams, Dressler, Gurley, Denmark, Kohlert 

fogg cant return full time, and heath is a none factor. Mcduffie should and almost certainly will be on the roster as a DI to rotate/provide depth at wr and return. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Exponentially? I don't see that big of a talent gap. Especially when you consider injury history and salary. Injury history plays an even bigger role if Smith is on the roster as well. As both Dressler and Smith have missed significant time the past two seasons now.

injury history and salary dont change talent level. Dressler is far better and far more consistent. Dressler in a down year is a career best year for denmark. Denmark stays healthy, but has huge gaps of several games where he flat out disappears.  Dressler has been really good, even when our OL offense and willy were struggling some thing awful.

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Denmark isn't in the same stratosphere as Dressler, for that matter no receiver on our team is. Dressler is an elite CFL receiver.

6 minutes ago, O2L said:

Lots of folks listing Kohlert as the Canadian receiver in the starting lineup. I'd just like to throw my hat in the ring for JFG. I feel like he's been substantially better than Kohlert this year in limited reps. 

He certainly makes the most of his opportunities. Has he ever dropped a pass?

5 minutes ago, O2L said:

Lots of folks listing Kohlert as the Canadian receiver in the starting lineup. I'd just like to throw my hat in the ring for JFG. I feel like he's been substantially better than Kohlert this year in limited reps. 

The rep difference hasnt been limited by any stretch of the imagination. Hes played and been invisible for many long periods of time. For what ever reason nichols and willy didnt seem to find them well in this system. Kohlert has been a steady productive canadian wr for a long time. 

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

He certainly makes the most of his opportunities. Has he ever dropped a pass?

every wr drops passes.

We list our starters as 2 backs 4 wr. That with 1 ni fb, which is a set we use sparingly. JFG is on the field a ton, not to mention we dont carry much depth at wr and have been to the point where we have no back up twice this year. Hes played 8 games this year with no catch. Neither of these guys are lighting the world on fire, but kohlert is proven and consistent. 

30 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Denmark isn't in the same stratosphere as Dressler, for that matter no receiver on our team is. Dressler is an elite CFL receiver.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe Denmark has had the same successful systems put in place as Dressler has. The two have played on very different teams. When plans are made to get Denmark involved, he's always made the most of it. I have nothing against Dressler, but I don't see his ability to stay on the field improving moving forward. Elite Rec's are great to have, but not if they can't stay on the field.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe Denmark has had the same successful systems put in place as Dressler has. The two have played on very different teams. When plans are made to get Denmark involved, he's always made the most of it. I have nothing against Dressler, but I don't see his ability to stay on the field improving moving forward. Elite Rec's are great to have, but not if they can't stay on the field.

Look at the systems milt played in. Look at the number of OCs dressler has ran through too. Elite wrs step up and dressler has done it time and again. Including this year in what is still a poorly run offense. Denmark has been a flash and vanish guy. 

4 hours ago, O2L said:

I personally prefer JFG to Kohlert as well, but to me the issue is that with JFG being an SB and Kohlert being a WR they may not want to waste an import at the wide side receiver spot. 

Edited by Blueandgold