GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is exactly the game I expected from us the last time we played Edm. This team... The one that played tonight... Is an East Division, Goddamned Awful, not deserving of praise in any way, team. 

This is the same team that had a 34 - 0 lead at the half and had Reilly looking lost out there...

Listen to yourselves..,

I don't like to blame reffing for failure ..  BUT in this game it was atrocious....Never mind that pi call on Leggett (complete bull$hit)...How about the refs firmly in Maas's corner...deliberating on a challenge he made...changing it ..then standing around pondering it forever, making sure he didn't want to change his mind again...No wonder everybody was booing...First it's pi...then it isn't...then it's...What a bunch of crap..I hope we don't get that zebra crew again in 16' although, to be sure, they'll be front and centre if we have a game of significant importance....I don't know what I'm more po'd about....the Fogg td's being called back...EVERY BLOODY TIME ...or the habitual losing at IGF...throw in the hee hawing on our challenges or not challenging blatant bloody errors by the refs. period...In the end we didn't do ourselves any favours with dropped balls on the goal line...(looking at you Dress) and getting very little pressure on Riley till the second half...Even then it was sporadic....O'Shea was boiling at the half and he looked like he was ready to blow his lid..First time I've really seen him tear into his guys and they deserved it..Maybe we need more of that...Disappointed in this team once again and I hope we're not going back to the...'look great for awhile' then slip into the toilet for the remainder of the year b.s....

Hey guys - something may be lost here. That was a MUST WIN game for Edmonton. Here's why,  the next game I'm going to is Nov 5. Not because I can't make it sooner, that's the next Eskie home game. They HAD to win against B.C. and they HAD to start this massive road trip with a win in Wpg, or their season was pretty much over.

What you're seeing is a team in desperation mode. If they lost those two games (regardless of the outcome last week for the Bombers in Calgary) then both B.C. and Wpg clinched playoff berths and Eskies only chance was a crossover - and that would be slim (but would make the Nov 5 game a potential playoff game as the Argo's are in town). 

But, as usual, typical of you guys. You lose a game, and the moaning and complaining comes out in spades. Stickem - refs, really? So what did the ref's have to do with Derrel Walker scorching the defense for a 60 yard TD in the last two minutes? Losers use officials as excuses. From what I saw, the Eskimos were by far the better team last night and were full value for the win. 

Bombers are in tough though, this was kind of a must win for them too. They almost got the upset in Calgary, now they get spanked by Edmonton, and in their last four games they play teams that are clearly better than them even during their streak (B.C. and Ottawa). I wouldn't be surprised at all if the bombers did go 0 - 6 (already 0 - 2) and then I'll see everyone calling for O'Shea's , LaPolice's, Richie Hall's, Wade Miller's, and Kyle Walters heads. Same old same old. Best part? Trading Willy (good move) means there is no QB signed for next year (Nichols, Glenn, and Davis all have only this year left on their contracts). Though I expect Nichols would re-sign in Wpg it's not a sure thing as Sask and Mtrl could take long hard looks at him. Though I do think Nichols likes Wpg and Jones though him expendable in Edmonton so I doubt he'd go work for him again. 

Well, the chickens which some here had predicted have come home to roost. For some time during the Bomber winning streak, those here who were wearing rose-tinted glasses ignored the obvious problems: a toothless D-line, a suspect MLB and a lack of a big, fast deep threat to take the double/triple coverage off our best one or two receivers. Both Edmonton and Calgary had O-lines which are hardly all-star, but both managed to keep their quarterbacks upright and with enough time to write home. At this rate, we will probably squeak into the playoffs, mostly due to how pathetic the eastern conference is at the moment, but I don't like our chances against Hamilton or Ottawa.

I was wondering how we'd react to the loss last week. Unfortunately, it wasn't the way I'd hoped. Last night's game was a huge step backwards. We showed some real spunk early in the 4th then it dissipated as quickly as it started. 

We have to learn to start playing at the opening kickoff and not take a play off until the end of the game. We can't rely on a bunch of take away's at this time of year, especially against the good teams. We simply can't allow other teams to run it down our throats like Edmonton did last night. We need to tighten up on the coverage. We could get away with it aginst backup QB's and bad teams, but allowing a bunch of catches against good QB's on good teams results in a lot of yards against and a lot of points scored on us. We have to stop taking so many penalties. We have to ignore the 7 game win streak and focus on this week's opponent... BC.

19 minutes ago, tracker said:

Well, the chickens which some here had predicted have come home to roost. For some time during the Bomber winning streak, those here who were wearing rose-tinted glasses ignored the obvious problems: a toothless D-line, a suspect MLB and a lack of a big, fast deep threat to take the double/triple coverage off our best one or two receivers. Both Edmonton and Calgary had O-lines which are hardly all-star, but both managed to keep their quarterbacks upright and with enough time to write home. At this rate, we will probably squeak into the playoffs, mostly due to how pathetic the eastern conference is at the moment, but I don't like our chances against Hamilton or Ottawa.

I wouldn't call the current D-line toothless but they seem to be moving away from the early success they had with heavy rotation of DE personnel that kept them fresh and motivated.  Perhaps Green was legitimately nicked but other than that I think not dressing him was a mistake.  Speaking of Green, I noticed they moved him back to the PR and not the one game I.R., I hope that is a temporary adjustment.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I wouldn't call the current D-line toothless but they seem to be moving away from the early success they had with heavy rotation of DE personnel that kept them fresh and motivated.  Perhaps Green was legitimately nicked but other than that I think not dressing him was a mistake.  Speaking of Green, I noticed they moved him back to the PR and not the one game I.R., I hope that is a temporary adjustment.

its not just the abscence of Green or any one player- the only D-lineman who was a threat in the last couple of games has been Westerman- double-teamed but no one else has been able to consistently beat his blocker. Not good enough.

1 hour ago, KptKrunch said:

But, as usual, typical of you guys. You lose a game, and the moaning and complaining comes out in spades. Stickem - refs, really? So what did the ref's have to do with Derrel Walker scorching the defense for a 60 yard TD in the last two minutes? Losers use officials as excuses. From what I saw, the Eskimos were by far the better team last night and were full value for the win. 

So you thought that was a well reffed game, by your comment, and should have not been mentioned... Sure couldn't tell that by the cheap calls... C'MON for cripes sake,,,give your head a shake that was a badly reffed game...If you read my post correctly I did not solely blame the refs. for this loss in any event...We had too many breakdowns in coverage and that's why Derrel and his other brother Derrel were playing pitch and catch with Riley... Esks. might be in desperation mode right now but this was just as important to us coming off a close loss in Cal., and trying to prove we can play with the better clubs... We didn't do that...Seems that is very much up for debate now...And don't give us this 'typical of you guys horse$hit'...Read the esks. boards or riders drivel and you'll see some real moaning...

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

LOL - last time I checked on the chat in the Calgary game, the usual suspects were complaining loudly which I thought was hilarious for a team on a 7 game win streak playing the best team in the CFL right now (and it's not close) in their barn. Myself and one other were the only one to say 'chill, bombers will be Ok once they get their act together' and it turned out to be the game of the year. 

I think it's quite hypocritical when I complain then I'm told I'm not a 'bomber fan' yet when I try to be positive I get even worse treatment. 1 - 4 - that's how the bombers started out. Now the're 8 -6. 

And yes Stickem, it was an important game for Wpg, no doubt about it, but not a MUST win. See, Eskies' backs are against the wall. Maybe you missed iti - they don't play at home again until NOV 5 - and they have a schedule as tough as Wpg's. Only saving grace for the Esks is that last home game is against the Argos and that could very well be for the crossover (for either Wpg or Edm).

Either way - this is how sports works. It's like a basketball game, it's ebb and flow. The bombers had a nice hot streak, and at the same time the Esks were not playing their best football by a longshot, culminating in that loss in Sk (which a few children on here reminded me about on the Trouba thread...which I still don't understand as I don't play or work for the Eskimo's so bringing that up is asinine - especially in a hockey thread) but hey, it is what it is.

Now the bombers will be facing adversity, just like the Esks are right now. So far, the Esks are doing great. They beat a well rested B.C. team at home when they were playing their 4th game in 18 days, now they go into Wpg and beat them.

Want the bombers to do well? Well, this is how the players and coaches learn and grow. It's easy to play when you're winning (and it's easy to cheer for the team when you're winning)  - how about some support when they are struggling a bit? The sky isn't falling, the sun will come out tomorrow. 

End result - bombers got beat by a better team last night (by that I mean the Esks were by far the better team - this wasn't a 'bad' call or a missed or made field goal that settled the score. 

Next week is another game, I for one am looking forward to seeing how the Bombers respond, and my bet right now is they respond well. 

1 hour ago, tracker said:

its not just the abscence of Green or any one player- the only D-lineman who was a threat in the last couple of games has been Westerman- double-teamed but no one else has been able to consistently beat his blocker. Not good enough.

Being shredded by lefevour was a warning sign.

Yep.....Lefavour (of the month)...Bo....Riley....and now we get Jennings who is most likely salivating at the thought of playing a team who keep their dbs. 15 feet off of the receiver...not to mention Harris and his band of go to guys who are no slouches either...This is not going to be any easy finish to the reg. season and I doubt the bye week is going to save the day....That might get a few of our guys who are nic'd a rest but unless we have an 'awakening' on D......I don't like the way this is gonna end. 

11 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Dude, when you don't put him on ignore like the rest of us, and then quote him, we have to read his crap too.  COME ON MAN, THINK!

If you're referring to krunch....I guess that's wise...I do know he announced he was never coming back here....Didn't back that up though did he....lol....I called him on some crap he tried to dump on us is all...I shall ignore him from this point on like the rest... Take it easy on the unenlightened though for cripes sake logan and let me get up to speed ......

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

This is the same team that had a 34 - 0 lead at the half and had Reilly looking lost out there...

Listen to yourselves..,

What are you talking about...?

Just an awful showing last night by the home team. The officiating was messed up but the Bombers shot themselves in the foot consistently all game long.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

If you're referring to krunch....I guess that's wise...I do know he announced he was never coming back here....Didn't back that up though did he....lol....I called him on some crap he tried to dump on us is all...I shall ignore him from this point on like the rest... Take it easy on the unenlightened though for cripes sake logan and let me get up to speed ......

Don't quote Kpt Krunch. Therefore he will not exist. You're dead to us, Krunch.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I was totally thinking the same thing. Shoulda had alarm bells screaming for everyone... 

Alarm bells were ringing when Darian Durant and the hapless Riders started shredding them but they still got enough errors from the Riders and Argos to win the games, but we saw these last two weeks what happens when teams don't make those mistakes. That's the game plan for Winnipeg now, just don't **** around and cough up the ball and they won't beat you. 

No mistaking it, we are in tough now. The confidence the team and fans felt during the winning streak in which the Bombers got almost all the breaks has evaporated and the same deficiencies that plagued the team are front and center. Somehow, this has to get fixed and soon or we could go 1 & 3 to finish the season. That might good enough to save O'Shea's job but not enough to restore fan confidence. It will interesting to see if we have a new receiver in the lineup next game, even if he is a Lions castoff.

47 minutes ago, tracker said:

No mistaking it, we are in tough now. The confidence the team and fans felt during the winning streak in which the Bombers got almost all the breaks has evaporated and the same deficiencies that plagued the team are front and center. Somehow, this has to get fixed and soon or we could go 1 & 3 to finish the season. That might good enough to save O'Shea's job but not enough to restore fan confidence. It will interesting to see if we have a new receiver in the lineup next game, even if he is a Lions castoff.

Hey what better time to pick up a leo cast-off....Maybe he'll bring their playbook with him....AND IF we reek the rest of the way, I wouldn't be too sure about Mike O's future here...Too many failing years will catch up no matter who you are...Then again maybe we'll extend him and give him a big raise similar to what Willie got.....Oh I'm such a cynic.lol