Why Is Denmark the Odd Man Out?

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Denmark will still play, wont he?  Just not start?  At least thats the impression I got from the radio...

edit: never mind. Lawless just confirmed no Denmark on active roster 

^^^^

WR Clarence Denmark - who has been key in the #bombers recent run - won't on the active roster for #BanjoBowl #cfl

Smith is a good player, but he's not as good as Denmark consistently yet.  If the motivation is to win a game on Saturday, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Smith or McDuffie are better options as receivers.

As for the roster issue, there's a multitude of guys who can return kicks and punts on this team if needed like Dressler, Denmark, JFG, Leggett, even Smith.  Not all can do punts, but there's options.

IMO Lapo has guys marked for certain roles and is rolling with those guys, Sheppard being the inside slot with extra blocking responsibilities, McDuffie for speed. Not how I would build my offense, but we will see how it plays out.

They need Duffman to return punts.  Fogg is a great returner but i remember when he had a big return and came back on the field quickly and gave up a long td pass, maybe its to much to put on a young player.  Legget is a great FG returner but every time he returns one I hold my breath thinking he might get hurt (paranoia about losing our best defender).  Denny is the best insurance policy and a consummate pro and will always be ready to be called in action if need be.  

I also questioned the decision based on a few things; first game back for Denmark what did he do..... something like 150 and 2 TDs (I think); second game another TD and then as has been mentioned not as much lately. Wondering if that is play calling or what seems strange a guy is "go to" for two games then nothing really for awhile. Possible usage?

I for one would like to see Denmark, Smith and Dressler along with Kohert and Sheppard or McDuffie. Hard for me to believe that Sheppard is better or McDuffie is better than Denmark but again as was mentioned the others do play other roles on the team.

In my opinion our returner should be Fogg and should he get tired or nicked then we have some returning DBs to consider, after all they started infront of Fogg in the beginning.

Just my opinion but nice problem to have.

2 hours ago, blitzmore said:

Thing that bothers me somewhat, is that in training camp Shepard was not the most consistent at catching passes which is very likely the reason he did not start the season. Mcduffie on the other hand caught virtually everything thrown at him. I was at training camp a fair amount.

Maybe Sheppard had a bad case of the dropsies? As for McDuffie playing over Sheppard - the coaches made the best decision they could with the information available to them at the time. I'm just glad we hung on to Sheppard and hope he continues his strong play.

I suspect that having Dressler, Smith and Denmark in the lineup at the same time would cause most D's fits if used well and I hope we get to see that lineup somewhere down the line.  It's like having 3 jitterbugs on one line in hockey, they may be small but they can be hard to defend against.

Before the last game McDuffie was virtually invisible against the Als (2-18), so he can play ghost just as well as Denmark.  I understand his role as the burner, let's just hope that LaPo makes frequent use of his break away speed. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Smith is a good player, but he's not as good as Denmark consistently yet.  If the motivation is to win a game on Saturday, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Smith or McDuffie are better options as receivers.

As for the roster issue, there's a multitude of guys who can return kicks and punts on this team if needed like Dressler, Denmark, JFG, Leggett, even Smith.  Not all can do punts, but there's options.

IMO Lapo has guys marked for certain roles and is rolling with those guys, Sheppard being the inside slot with extra blocking responsibilities, McDuffie for speed. Not how I would build my offense, but we will see how it plays out.

Dont fool your self, despite the initial surge when he came back smith is better. There is a reason we cut denmark after signing smith and dressler with out any one batting an eye. And a reason why after sask cut him no one else called. Denmark isnt consistant at all. 

That said i would have DI'd mcduffie rotated him heavily and started denmark still. With smith and dressler still fairly back fresh off injuries a steady rotation of our imp wrs would be good. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Dont fool your self, despite the initial surge when he came back smith is better. There is a reason we cut denmark after signing smith and dressler with out any one batting an eye. And a reason why after sask cut him no one else called. Denmark isnt consistant at all. 

That said i would have DI'd mcduffie rotated him heavily and started denmark still. With smith and dressler still fairly back fresh off injuries a steady rotation of our imp wrs would be good. 

what makes smith better though? Career best season Denmark beats Smiths. They wanted to make a big splash and did that but I really don't know that there's a lot of choose between Smith and Denmark. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The problem with that is that MOS really wants the flexibility for special teams. Denmark doesn't fill that need. I agree I would love to see Denmark on the roster but it's a good problem to have.

I would disagree that smith is better than Denmark and that he tails off. I am questioning why he is tailing off in catches. He seldom misses and YAC seem good. Could it be that LaPO or the other idiot simply went away from him or perhaps was it that Willy couldn't wait to throw deep or couldn't??? I don't know I only know that when he came back he had a similar game to McDuffie and rescued the team. Now he is sitting.

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Looking forward to what Smith can do with Nichols at the helm, Willy's tendency was to throw to him when he was standing still, 3 yards away facing the wrong direction.

Im not looking forward to the smith plays with him running sweeps and such 3+ times a game xD

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

what makes smith better though? Career best season Denmark beats Smiths. They wanted to make a big splash and did that but I really don't know that there's a lot of choose between Smith and Denmark. 

denmark has never been able to maintain that level of play out side of that season for any stretch of time. Smith is far more consistent with a better tool set. I like denmark, he should be on the active roster, but hes not better then smith or dressler.