Mulumba-Bilukidi watch

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I have no issue with the Bilukidi pick... for a guy who may wash out of the NFL in a few years, I don't think a 3rd rounder was too much... then again, Bilukidi was drafted by Baltimore so you knew he was more than training camp fodder... but taking a guy who has an NFL contract in hand 2nd overall... 

Yeah guys like that are a real gamble, taking that risk in the 3rd isnt a poor choice at all on its own face value. How ever when your organization doesnt sign league veterans opting to bring in new talent from the states, and you allready have poor quality NIs/depth, its not a smart gamble. I think taking risks on guys like him is great, when you can afford it. Not to mention most of our drafts in that era didnt go well. So for today having those futures and a chance is better then who we would have picked in all probability. 

They move the draft back to prevent stuff like that from happening then we go and do it any way xD

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I have no issue with the Bilukidi pick... for a guy who may wash out of the NFL in a few years, I don't think a 3rd rounder was too much... then again, Bilukidi was drafted by Baltimore so you knew he was more than training camp fodder... but taking a guy who has an NFL contract in hand 2nd overall... 

Was drafted by the Raiders

The only problem I have with the Mulumba pick is in hindsight. At the time Mack chose him, he was considered an extreme longshot to get anything more than a quick cup of coffee at an NFL camp. I personally am still of the belief that had Mack been our GM that his buddy Dom Capers would have released Mulumba as a favor to Mack.

28 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

The only problem I have with the Mulumba pick is in hindsight. At the time Mack chose him, he was considered an extreme longshot to get anything more than a quick cup of coffee at an NFL camp. I personally am still of the belief that had Mack been our GM that his buddy Dom Capers would have released Mulumba as a favor to Mack.

he wasnt considered an extreme longshot to get more then a cup of coffee down there. Drafted guys in the nfl tend to stick for atleast a couple years. Especially when they are big and very athletic. Hes the type of guy nfl teams love to have at end on a 3-4, or in side a 4-3. Guy gets amazing push and really explodes off the line. 

*got bilukidi and mulumba crossed. 

Edited by wbbfan

Just now, wbbfan said:

he wasnt considered an extreme longshot to get more then a cup of coffee down there. Drafted guys in the nfl tend to stick for atleast a couple years. Especially when they are big and very athletic. Hes the type of guy nfl teams love to have at end on a 3-4, or in side a 4-3. Guy gets amazing push and really explodes off the line. 

He wasn't drafted though, he was a UDFA.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He wasn't drafted though, he was a UDFA.

yep thought he said bilukidi. Id say the point is fair in terms of the higher pick on mulumba. Though a team in a position like us at that point taking risks with NI depth when we had so little is still a gamble i dont care for. In that position I think you have to take guys that will play for you. But that is merely a judgement call.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yep thought he said bilukidi. Id say the point is fair in terms of the higher pick on mulumba. Though a team in a position like us at that point taking risks with NI depth when we had so little is still a gamble i dont care for. In that position I think you have to take guys that will play for you. But that is merely a judgement call.

you take a lesser guy and he may never play for you anyway. In that draft all the good players were getting NFL shots and Mulumba was seen as a long shot and a gamble worth taking. That he actually turned out to have better success sticking in the NFL is just bad luck for Winnipeg. 

Every draft pick is a gamble in the CFL. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you take a lesser guy and he may never play for you anyway. In that draft all the good players were getting NFL shots and Mulumba was seen as a long shot and a gamble worth taking. That he actually turned out to have better success sticking in the NFL is just bad luck for Winnipeg. 

Every draft pick is a gamble in the CFL. 

Thats true, however at the top of the draft in the modern era you should find some one who can play for you at some point. Every draft pick is allways a gamble, adding risk when your risk averse is my issue. 

The story as I remember it from then is that when Mulumba was drafted, he was seen as TCF for the NFL and would absolutely be back. Mack had a buddy on that team (Mack had/has friends everywhere in the NFL/NCAA) who said "We like the guy, but we're really not expecting a whole lot...don't worry..." so Mack said "Hey, we wish him the best of luck down there, but we expect him to be in camp with us at some point..." and then he just went down there and absolutely lit it up in NFL TC and earned a spot, then kept on rolling from there.....

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The story as I remember it from then is that when Mulumba was drafted, he was seen as TCF for the NFL and would absolutely be back. Mack had a buddy on that team (Mack had/has friends everywhere in the NFL/NCAA) who said "We like the guy, but we're really not expecting a whole lot...don't worry..." so Mack said "Hey, we wish him the best of luck down there, but we expect him to be in camp with us at some point..." and then he just went down there and absolutely lit it up in NFL TC and earned a spot, then kept on rolling from there.....

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/06/bombers-take-de-andy-mulumba-in-cfl-draft

Kind of an interesting read in retrospect. 

That will only help the Bombers in the long run, even if Mack isn’t the one running that show when it occurs. Mack is under intense pressure to make the playoffs this season, yet he didn’t go for the sure thing. That also says he believes in the players he already has, which makes sense because he already has seven Canadian starters and didn’t need to find a starter in this year’s draft

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-to-take-Mulumba-in-CFL-draft-206279871.html

Edited by wbbfan

On 8/12/2016 at 3:44 PM, wbbfan said:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/06/bombers-take-de-andy-mulumba-in-cfl-draft

Kind of an interesting read in retrospect. 

That will only help the Bombers in the long run, even if Mack isn’t the one running that show when it occurs. Mack is under intense pressure to make the playoffs this season, yet he didn’t go for the sure thing. That also says he believes in the players he already has, which makes sense because he already has seven Canadian starters and didn’t need to find a starter in this year’s draft

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-to-take-Mulumba-in-CFL-draft-206279871.html

Meh the whole 2013 draft was under whelming. Andy Mulumba is still the most talented player from that draft and IF he ever makes it up north it will be well worth the wait. Not holding my breath though.  

3 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Meh the whole 2013 draft was under whelming. Andy Mulumba is still the most talented player from that draft and IF he ever makes it up north it will be well worth the wait. Not holding my breath though.  

i wouldnt say it was exactly underwhelming, it over rich with raw talent mostly on defense. Those guys take a few years to get going in the cfl but a bunch of those guys went to the nfl too. But it certainly wasnt as good as more recent drafts.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

i wouldnt say it was exactly underwhelming, it over rich with raw talent mostly on defense. Those guys take a few years to get going in the cfl but a bunch of those guys went to the nfl too. But it certainly wasnt as good as more recent drafts.

That's why I don't mind gambling on Mulumba. There was no sure fire CFL star coming to us at second overall. 

Mulumba had 2 solo tackles in the chiefs first game of the pre season. Hes listed 3rd out of 4 LOLBs, the 4th guy is a 6th round draft pick this year, a developmental guy who needs to add weight for the nfl. The prospect nicolas had 3 solo tackles and a sack. They have 2 rookies and a bunch of vets at LB in camp.

The jets didnt seem to go far down the depth chart on there DL. They have 3 other 3-4 DEs that are rookie FAs to go with bilukidi none of whom seemed to get any play time. Hes listed last on one end spot while 2 others are listed in the same depth level on the other end. 

15 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/is-ik-punch-anniversary-reason-for-geno-smiths-media-silence/

Scroll a few paragraphs down. Apparently Bilukidi has quit football to pursue business interests in Ottawa. 

Ottawa you say? The home of the RedBlacks?, where they play football?, and have valuable assets? Hmm..

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/is-ik-punch-anniversary-reason-for-geno-smiths-media-silence/

Scroll a few paragraphs down. Apparently Bilukidi has quit football to pursue business interests in Ottawa. 

Dang. I cant exactly blame any one who takes that path, with CTE and the massive amount of money he has probably made from the nfl.

51 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Ottawa you say? The home of the RedBlacks?, where they play football?, and have valuable assets? Hmm..

Being as hes a draft pick i believe we hold his right up here out side of the neg list for as long as we desire. 

What would we get for Bilukidi though?

I'm not sure which player from their (RedBlacks) roster is of any interest for us.

If it would be for draft picks I would think it will be conditional probably 5-6th for his rights and will be upgraded to 2-3rd if he signs.