OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

But Walters won't do that. But why would he free up cap space now to force a vacancy in an incredibly important area of our roster just in case something comes along for him to spend money on?

I don't think you have as good of a grasp on our cap situation as you're implying. Mainly because you're off on your cap number for Moore+Denmark by about 100k and you're completely forgetting that we got rid of a few other veterans as well, like Dom Picard, Graig Newman, Bryant Turner, Zach Anderson and Demond Washington. Those guys weren't cheap, especially Picard and Turner. We spent a lot of money this offseason but we also got rid of a ton as well.

You keep saying "here's what he'd likely do with the cap space", and the question has continually been "who fits that criteria" and you haven't been able to bring up any names. It's the same thing that happens when you go on about firing O'Shea and hiring somebody experienced as a HC and people say "like who?" ... we can't just do things in hopes of an opportunity popping up.

I think we took on significantly more salary than we dropped. You seem to disagree. Yes, I made a mistake with the 250 number for Moore (180) + Denmark (170). (I wonder if some idiot will cut half that line out and use it as their tag line this time as in TBURGESS - I made a mistake.)

No one can provide specifics about what to do with the SMS savings. That doesn't make it a bad idea. BTW: 100K of it could go to Nichols playing bonuses if Lawless is correct. I doubt the Bombers accounted for Nichols starting while Willy wasn't on the 6 game.

Lets agree to disagree once again. You think it's stupid to get rid of Willy and his stupidly large salary. I think it's stupid to keep Willy with his stupidly large salary. Neither of us is going to convince the other that they're wrong.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think we took on significantly more salary than we dropped. You seem to disagree. Yes, I made a mistake with the 250 number for Moore (180) + Denmark (170). (I wonder if some idiot will cut half that line out and use it as their tag line this time as in TBURGESS - I made a mistake.)

No one can provide specifics about what to do with the SMS savings. That doesn't make it a bad idea. BTW: 100K of it could go to Nichols playing bonuses if Lawless is correct. I doubt the Bombers accounted for Nichols starting while Willy wasn't on the 6 game.

Lets agree to disagree once again. You think it's stupid to get rid of Willy and his stupidly large salary. I think it's stupid to keep Willy with his stupidly large salary. Neither of us is going to convince the other that they're wrong.

Compromise, Walters digs out his big brass balls and summons Willy to his office prior to game #10 puts a gun to his head and demands that he stop stealing food from the mouth of Clarence Denmark's baby(ies).  Chop chop problem solved, takes the spotlight off Willy and a ridiculous contract that makes him the highest paid backup in the history of the CFL.  Like it or not Willy will be working for drastically less money from this point onward, he had his chance to grasp the golden ring and fumbled it under the lights at center field.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Never mind Heenan, tying up Chungh for 2-3 more years is time and money well spent.

Sure would. There's no guarantee that Walters isn't trying to do that already or that Chungh has any interest in signing before he hits FA.

41 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Compromise, Walters digs out his big brass balls and summons Willy to his office prior to game #10 puts a gun to his head and demands that he stop stealing food from the mouth of Clarence Denmark's baby(ies).  Chop chop problem solved, takes the spotlight off Willy and a ridiculous contract that makes him the highest paid backup in the history of the CFL.  Like it or not Willy will be working for drastically less money from this point onward, he had his chance to grasp the golden ring and fumbled it under the lights at center field.

This scenario is the best one that Willy can hope for, short of Nichols blowing a tire and Willy coming out of his coma to light up the scoreboard. However, if Willy has lost the confidence of the team, I'm not sure if he can get it back.

10 minutes ago, tracker said:

This scenario is the best one that Willy can hope for, short of Nichols blowing a tire and Willy coming out of his coma to light up the scoreboard. However, if Willy has lost the confidence of the team, I'm not sure if he can get it back.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to this, as O'Shea has the most to lose if Willy can't pick up the slack.

34 minutes ago, tracker said:

Oh that's easy to get back. Make plays and that comes back right away. The hard part is for Willy to regain confidence in the team cause that's the biggest problem with him right now. He doesn't trust them to help him out. But that's something else that can come back I think. Given the good things that have happened the last 2 games it brings up everyones confidence level. A rising tide floats all ships. 

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh that's easy to get back. Make plays and that comes back right away. The hard part is for Willy to regain confidence in the team cause that's the biggest problem with him right now. He doesn't trust them to help him out. But that's something else that can come back I think. Given the good things that have happened the last 2 games it brings up everyones confidence level. A rising tide floats all ships. 

yup, watching them make plays for Nichols, might be the best thing that has happened to Willys Career in WPG.

Not that easy, if Willy is not doing the right things (to put it in layman's terms) it's harder for them to "help him out". It appears (mainly by the results) that Nichols is doing the right things, therefore the team can work together better. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Oh that's easy to get back. Make plays and that comes back right away. The hard part is for Willy to regain confidence in the team cause that's the biggest problem with him right now. He doesn't trust them to help him out. But that's something else that can come back I think. Given the good things that have happened the last 2 games it brings up everyone's confidence level. A rising tide floats all ships. 

I do not think it is that simple. In military Command School, if an officer or NCO screws up so badly that the troops stop respecting him/her, that person is moved out soonest possible. Command presence means that the subordinates execute without thinking or over-thinking their assignments. If they do not believe that they are not being directed in such as way as to give the best chance of success, they start free-lancing or hesitating, and things go rapidly downhill from there. You may have had such a boss who was neither trusted nor respected.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

I do not think it is that simple. In military Command School, if an officer or NCO screws up so badly that the troops stop respecting him/her, that person is moved out soonest possible. Command presence means that the subordinates execute without thinking or over-thinking their assignments. If they do not believe that they are not being directed in such as way as to give the best chance of success, they start free-lancing or hesitating, and things go rapidly downhill from there. You may have had such a boss who was neither trusted nor respected.

This isn't the military.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

This isn't the military.

Mike, your right it is not the military. I read Trackers comment as an example. An analogy to make a point. Had tracker chosen to insert "coach" to replace officer/nco and "players" with troops, there may have been greater relevance, but he still made a valid point on the leadership/coaching role. How many times have we heard variations of "those players would go to the wall for that coach"?

1 hour ago, tracker said:

But group dynamics are group dynamics everywhere.

but it is an analogy that falls flat. If you were comparing officers to coaches then yes I'd buy it. When a team stops listening to a coach that coach is finished, but players and other players, those fences get mended quickly when the performance is there. QB might be a leader on the field but he's still just one of a dozen players on the field. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but it is an analogy that falls flat. If you were comparing officers to coaches then yes I'd buy it. When a team stops listening to a coach that coach is finished, but players and other players, those fences get mended quickly when the performance is there. QB might be a leader on the field but he's still just one of a dozen players on the field. 

The coaches wasting away is agreed. I could think of examples of players scorning other players because of being too douchey and lacking performance. Kane and Bogosian. Players know who within their ranks (not a pun, it just happened) are not cutting it. players on the same team after a number of faux pas, still have  the potential to recall and memory to lack confidence in a mate, if the pattern of  letting others down returns. I'm thinking the offending player gets labelled by mates as inconsistent and unreliable. im not talking about a mistake such as a fumble or int. I'm referencing a lack of consistent playmaking.

17to85, you might be right. I'm only able to recall stories of oustings and banishings. Because teammates are generally closer than any fan would ever be, perhaps we don't hear about players rallying to get back into the fold. Maybe Lirim Hairylahuge fits in that category, but hes with a different squad.

Nichols replaces Willy, plays great. A handful of injured players are replaced and their replacements actually play better than the guys they replaced. How many more guys are there like that on this team just waiting for their chance? Ironically, the GM may have actually given the HC the players he needs to be successful but we'll never know because the HC doesn't believe in giving the backup guys some playing time to develop. Too bad it takes an injury or some external pressure on the HC to get the best players on the field. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I honestly feel like it all boils down to the 3 IMP OL. That makes the offence work, the offence working keeps the D fresh, and they play better...its all about the 3 IMP OL... 

... and the guy behind them that's throwing the rock ;)