OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not sure why this thread is still going. 

But... Nichols looked awful to start and then picked it up. 

Not one of Nichols better games tho. 

Major props to the D. When you get 6 turnovers a game the last 2 games pretty much... you had better win. 

Nichols is keeping it alive tbh.

In the first half he reverting to some of his more troubled mechanics we hadnt seen previously this year from him. Half wind mill / bottom half wind up to his throws, choppy foot work etc. 

Hes only found harris out of the back field once iirc. And the drives that should be the best for us, first of the half and game which are pre planned and practiced sequences, are weak for him.

He bounced back from adversity very well tnite. That pick would have crushed willy. But he had another pick 6 flat out dropped.

The great returns from fogg and all the turn overs are whats making the team go right now.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Turnovers and improved OL play = huge difference 

Nichols or Willy or Davis or Bennett... irrelevant who just needs to be average. Manage the game. 

Nichols hasn't been spectacular.  He's been average and that's enough when you get tons of turnovers 

Whatever you consider him to be, he's 3-0 and he's scoring points. I'll take it. If this is average, sign me up.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I still think Willy ends up getting another shot sooner or later.  On paper, he has superior skills to Nichols.  The questions is, were his struggles just confidence and overall poor team play or permanent devolution in his skill as a result of injury?

I think it depends on how long this streak goes. Nichols wont have the same leash that Willy got, that's for sure.

Nichols struggled early on and this was definitely his worst of the three starts. I think people are underestimating his effect on this offense and team though. 

I definitely think other moves have played a big role in this streak (the biggest likely being Neufeld getting hurt and moving us to another American) but Nichols has really, really helped this team.

To me, this argument is put to rest until Nichols plays poorly for a prolonged stretch. I don't see why Nichols should get a shorter leash than Willy, especially when the results have been so different.

7 hours ago, do or die said:

OL better

Special teams better

D better

Nichols 1 turnover in 3 games...

hes had 2 pick 6s flat out dropped by D and a couple passes that should a been picked not grabbed. The big thing he is doing is bouncing back from adversity, and converting scores. ol, denmark and harris get credit for that too but so does he. 

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I still think Willy ends up getting another shot sooner or later.  On paper, he has superior skills to Nichols.  The questions is, were his struggles just confidence and overall poor team play or permanent devolution in his skill as a result of injury?

Thats the question. Being as broken and passive as he was when he was pulled at this point in his career is a bad thing. But not un curable. Idk if he gets another start here, but he will get another shot some where. A change of scenery may be what he needs. But I would have loved to see what he did behind this OL and with the D and sts support nichols is getting.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

I was ready to pull Nichols early on, he was playing like crap. Pulled it together but he's still playing average - with this D average is more than enough 

Guy is like gumby just keeps on bouncing back. But hes playing like a qb we can win with. not a qb that can win us games. At some point in this league you need a qb who can win the game for you.

5 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

Nichols struggled early on and this was definitely his worst of the three starts. I think people are underestimating his effect on this offense and team though. 

I definitely think other moves have played a big role in this streak (the biggest likely being Neufeld getting hurt and moving us to another American) but Nichols has really, really helped this team.

To me, this argument is put to rest until Nichols plays poorly for a prolonged stretch. I don't see why Nichols should get a shorter leash than Willy, especially when the results have been so different.

The last half of last weeks game plus the first half of this weeks game. Idr the exact stats but would have been some thing awful. Dont include the 2nd qt, just the previous 3/4 and you have atrocious lack of production the likes of which we havent seen since T martin. If he plays 3/4 like that in one game hes gonna get run outta dodge worse then willy.

re: Nichols.........I actually thought last night was a perfect example of why you have to leave guys in to work through their struggles and not be so quick to yank. Started out rough, but he got it figured out. Sometimes a guy just  needs time to work through it...every game, every opponent, is different.

6 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

I totally agree. Nichols wasn't very good at all to start the game. But he ( and the coaching staff ) fought through it and things worked out. Additionally some of the other changes we have made on the line, receiver, and safety have really made a huge difference.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I was ready to pull Nichols early on, he was playing like crap. Pulled it together but he's still playing average - with this D average is more than enough 

I was in that boat as well. Finding that line when you need to pull the QB versus let him work it out is where Coaches earn their salary. I still think bringing the starter to the sidelines for a couple of series to reset himself and watch the game from a different view isn't done enough imo.