OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

Here's the deal as I see it.  Pro football is about winning NOW.  So cutting Willy is not something that the Bombers are going to do this year.  If the object of the game was to get through the year with as much money leftover in the back as possible, then I'd agree with Mr. Burgess.  But seeing as the point is not saving money, but winning, I'm betting that they feel that Willy gives them a better chance of that than Davis does at the present time.  

Will Willy bounce back and regain the form he seemed to have before?  Maybe, maybe not.  But if Nichols goes down, he's going to be the guy who's next up.  If that happens and he still struggles and Davis gets the call, then getting rid of him does make a bit more sense, but not until then.  Ya, it might cost us more money but this is not about saving money, it's about winning games.  That being the case, cutting Willy would not only be stupid, but monstrously stupid.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Can you cash in leftover cap space in November for points in the standings?

If the answer is no, cutting Drew Willy simply to let Davis/Bennett move up the depth chart would be incredibly irresponsible management for a team that is very much in contention for a playoff spot right now.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

If the answer is no, cutting Drew Willy simply to let Davis/Bennett move up the depth chart would be incredibly irresponsible management for a team that is very much in contention for a playoff spot right now.

That is an assumption that Willy is better than a .200 quarterback with his teammates still having some confidence in him. If we can't get better than .250 with Davis or Bennett, we should be bringing QB prospects in.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

That is an assumption that Willy is better than a .200 quarterback with his teammates still having some confidence in him. If we can't get better than .250 with Davis or Bennett, we should be bringing QB prospects in.

And I'm betting that the coaches have taken this into consideration already.  I find this talk of getting rid of Willy to be bizarre.  Unless things really become strange, he's here until the end of the season.  

Who would've thought that winning 2 games would bring out so much anger in the fanbase? Can't we all go back to being apathetic where we all agreed that we sucked and got on with our lives? ;)

In all seriousness though, who can honestly say that they are more confident in the combined 4 quarters of pro experience behind Nichols if we cut Willy? For all his flaws this year, he presents us with the best chance to win right now in the event of an injury to Nichols.

We just don't know what the other guys can do, maybe they would be great. Bomber fans have seen this movie recently though with tepid at best results (Brink, Elliott, Goltz to name a few). How can anyone be comfortable with Davis and Bennett as 2-3 on the depth chart while we are, as of this post, in a playoff spot? Talk to me in week 17 if we end up falling out of it, no use in playing Willy at that point but if we have any hope of getting to the playoffs we need depth back there.

Edited by Nash00
Self-audited grammar police

6 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Who would've thought that winning 2 games would bring out so much anger in the fanbase? Can't we all go back to being apathetic where we all agreed that we sucked and got on with our lives? ;)

In all seriousness though, who can honestly say that they are more confident in the combined 4 quarters of pro experience behind Nichols if we cut Willy? For all his flaws this year, he presents us with the best chance to win right now in the event of an injury to Nichols.

We just don't know what the other guys can do, maybe they would be great. Bomber fans have seen this movie recently though with tepid at best results (Brink, Elliott, Goltz to name a few). How can anyone be comfortable with Davis and Bennett as 2-3 on the depth chart while we are, as of this post, in a playoff spot? Talk to me in week 17 if we end up falling out of it, no use in playing Willy at that point but if we have any hope of getting to the playoffs we need depth back there.31's

Other teams somehow manage to find out what their young QB's can show in game without throwing them into the red hot frying pan.  Last game was the perfect opportunity to give Davis some game action during almost 2 Q's of garbage time without jeopardizing the outcome.  Nichols accomplished little and some game reps. could have benefited Davis greatly and helped the Bombers along in their evaluation process.  If Willy is sent packing in the off-season it would be wise to have a good understanding of what Davis and Bennett have to offer as number two's and potential number one's before this season closes out. 

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

What a dumb question. I thought you were smarter than that.  Why would any GM save the money only to have it go away at the end of the year. As discussed earlier... Walters would use likely use it to extend players using this years cap which would give us more room next year or to bring in a couple of difference makers to get us over the hump at the end of the season, maybe even to sign a NI draft pick who is currently in the NFL.

We went on about a million dollar spending spree in the off season. A. Harris, M. Harris, Smith, Dressler, Shologan, Cummings and Keeping are making more than the guys they replaced. -250K for Moore + Denmark and then we re-signed Denmark so some of that isn't actually off the books. I'd guess we are closer to the top of the SMS than we've ever been since the big 3 took over. One move, cutting Willy, which I know we won't do, would give us an extra 200K or so cushion.

46 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

We just don't know what the other guys can do, maybe they would be great. Bomber fans have seen this movie recently though with tepid at best results (Brink, Elliott, Goltz to name a few). How can anyone be comfortable with Davis and Bennett as 2-3 on the depth chart while we are, as of this post, in a playoff spot? Talk to me in week 17 if we end up falling out of it, no use in playing Willy at that point but if we have any hope of getting to the playoffs we need depth back there.

I believe that you are not portraying the debate accurately. Those who question Willy's value are not a lynch mob- the question is any backup quarterback worth $400,000 per year, and could that money be best used to strengthen the team elsewhere?

Maybe it's just a personal opinion, but I don't see any better use of that money (at this point...agreed on off season being different story) than on a vet back-up QB. Unless an elite OL came available, why not spend it on a QB that has shown he can play at a high level? Some think he's permanently done and should be axed, but count me in the group who says he's a better option than Davis at this point, in a back up role. 

If Willy was still playing no one would be concerned with the teams cap situation so why are we getting so many panties in a bunch now? The cap savings ain't significant enough at this point in the season to sabotage depth at the most important position on the team. This is a discussion to re-visit in the offseason not in the middle of the season while the team is competing for a playoff spot. 

I seem to remember the team sucking just as hard under Nichols last year as they did under Willy. Why are some of you trying to rewrite history and present Nichols as our teams savior and Willy as wet garbage? If Nichols was hot **** he would have been playing week 1, he had a large enough sample size to prove himself. 

You'd all make terrible GM's

44 minutes ago, yogi said:

I seem to remember the team sucking just as hard under Nichols last year as they did under Willy. Why are some of you trying to rewrite history and present Nichols as our teams savior and Willy as wet garbage? If Nichols was hot **** he would have been playing week 1, he had a large enough sample size to prove himself. 

All these terrible GM's are talking about the 2016 football season.

2 hours ago, yogi said:

And the Offensive Coordinator in 2015 when the team was sucking so badly was....?

5 hours ago, yogi said:

iirc Nichols should have had a few more wins under his belt last year but our kicking blew us at least 2 games (home game vs edmonton, and calgary - tho that was aided by a BS call that stalled our drive forcing a kick attempt).

However Nichols only got to play because willy got hurt. Most coaches dont abide by taking a guys job away due to injury. the fact willy wasnt healthy again until week 1 in 2016 is why nichols wasnt starting.

Has nothing to do with being a terrible arm chair gm, more so as it does with being realistic to the circumstances

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

14 hours ago, tracker said:

I believe that you are not portraying the debate accurately. Those who question Willy's value are not a lynch mob- the question is any backup quarterback worth $400,000 per year, and could that money be best used to strengthen the team elsewhere?

And that would be all good if there was someone out there of more value to the team than Willy. I don't see anyone that fills that need right now.

As someone else said, if Ben Heenan came out of retirement then obviously the front office needs to re-evaluate but who else is worth that money in this season?

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What a dumb question. I thought you were smarter than that.  Why would any GM save the money only to have it go away at the end of the year. As discussed earlier... Walters would use likely use it to extend players using this years cap which would give us more room next year or to bring in a couple of difference makers to get us over the hump at the end of the season, maybe even to sign a NI draft pick who is currently in the NFL.

We went on about a million dollar spending spree in the off season. A. Harris, M. Harris, Smith, Dressler, Shologan, Cummings and Keeping are making more than the guys they replaced. -250K for Moore + Denmark and then we re-signed Denmark so some of that isn't actually off the books. I'd guess we are closer to the top of the SMS than we've ever been since the big 3 took over. One move, cutting Willy, which I know we won't do, would give us an extra 200K or so cushion.

But Walters won't do that. But why would he free up cap space now to force a vacancy in an incredibly important area of our roster just in case something comes along for him to spend money on?

I don't think you have as good of a grasp on our cap situation as you're implying. Mainly because you're off on your cap number for Moore+Denmark by about 100k and you're completely forgetting that we got rid of a few other veterans as well, like Dom Picard, Graig Newman, Bryant Turner, Zach Anderson and Demond Washington. Those guys weren't cheap, especially Picard and Turner. We spent a lot of money this offseason but we also got rid of a ton as well.

You keep saying "here's what he'd likely do with the cap space", and the question has continually been "who fits that criteria" and you haven't been able to bring up any names. It's the same thing that happens when you go on about firing O'Shea and hiring somebody experienced as a HC and people say "like who?" ... we can't just do things in hopes of an opportunity popping up.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

And that would be all good if there was someone out there of more value to the team than Willy. I don't see anyone that fills that need right now.

As someone else said, if Ben Heenan came out of retirement then obviously the front office needs to re-evaluate but who else is worth that money in this season?

Never mind Heenan, tying up Chungh for 2-3 more years is time and money well spent.