Rebuild # 32769: Kick Us When We're Down Edition

IC Khari

I'm not putting all the blame on Drew.  If the O-line could open a hole for Harris to run through it takes pressure off throwing on every down.  But our Hogs are just not able to push people around to get those holes open.  Drew can't scramble and the pocket collapses while he's happy footing it inside it and the panic throws or sacks ensue!

The biggest thing is how bad the OL is at picking up stunts and twists and things from opposing defences. Any kind of wrinkle and it's like our players are braindead as far as who to pick up. Hard to run an offense when the simplest things can throw it all out of whack. Those prized highly drafted OL are getting worked over. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The biggest thing is how bad the OL is at picking up stunts and twists and things from opposing defences. Any kind of wrinkle and it's like our players are braindead as far as who to pick up. Hard to run an offense when the simplest things can throw it all out of whack. Those prized highly drafted OL are getting worked over. 

Yeah. When the D over load blitzes as long as they clog the middle and force em to run around the end thats fine. But when the D gets pressure with 3 and 4 man fronts week in and week out its a bad sign. 

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5Xc6ifl1Q0vQNvQvOWTH

Under this logic - doesn't that mean all Blue Bomber season ticket holders are insane?

This has been used before, but as a loyal fan of the Bombers for over 40 years this is the perfect representation of what this team is doing to my loyalty over and over and over and over ... GOOD GRIEF!

giphy.gif

Edited by IC Khari

3 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Yyyyyyyyyyawn ...

Double Yyyyyyyawn - if "hope is there in the bomber camp" he would be sacked, not playing, or otherwise put on the 6 game Injury list! -

They could just take the last 3 years under MOS and just duplicate year in and year out as long as he is still the HC.

I think it is almost inevitable that O'Shea will be fired and sooner rather than later.   He appears to have that dead man walking, "don't know how to fix this" attitude and he can't be having much fun these days. I saw it in Burke, Daley and Reinbold to name a few.

Edited by tracker

20 hours ago, tracker said:

I think it is almost inevitable that O'Shea will be fired and sooner rather than later.   He appears to have that dead man walking, don't know how to fix this attitude and he can't be having much fun these days. I saw it in Burke, Daley and Reinbold to name a few.

Agreed. I saw it in his face, maybe for the first time, last game. Completely and utterly lost. Poor guy. Never should have been given a HC position without a lot more training and mentoring. Way over his head.

wtfih.gif

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Agreed. I saw it in his face, maybe for the first time, last game. Completely and utterly lost. Poor guy. Never should have been given a HC position without a lot more training and mentoring. Way over his head.

wtfih.gif

Nothing ... that's the prob :(

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎15 at 1:14 PM, Goalie said:

The so called "rebuild" won't be completed until we find a QB who can win some games. This team has tons of talent, they really do, they just lack a QB and it's pretty obvious that Drew Willy is not the solution anymore. 

I very much agree we have tons of talents that can compete....but we also have some really glaring weaknesses ( offensive line ) that just isn't good enough. I'm not completely sold on taking Willy out, give me one more game...okay give me the first half next week. Then he has to come out.

2 hours ago, ddanger said:

I very much agree we have tons of talents that can compete....but we also have some really glaring weaknesses ( offensive line ) that just isn't good enough. I'm not completely sold on taking Willy out, give me one more game...okay give me the first half next week. Then he has to come out.

I'm not sure we have tons of talent but I do think we have enough to be a .500 team and compete for a playoff spot with one caveat: our quarterbacking.

I do not want to be an "I told you so" but on several topics this spring I had commented on two aspects of the Blue Bombers aka off season signings; one was the number of "all stars" we were able to acquire and the other the signing of LaPolice as our new offensive coordinator. It is hard to believe that we have virtually 6 CFL allstars on our roster, and a new, newly minted OC who according to him has learned a lot since his coaching days and we continue to be abysmal on offense. Two factors in my mind and yes there is a third in the inability of the Oline to do anything HOWEVER let's look at it from the top down. I believe the stat was made that it has been over 10 yrs since any QB in the CFL has completed 30 passes or more in a game and has failed to gain over 300 yards passing. Call it poor execution, not really; call it poor play calling perhaps; or call it poor offensive design more than likely. We seldom throw the ball downfield which has been identified by more knowledgeable football people than myself but seems to be unrecognized by the individual who is designing the offense and further by the head coach who is responsible for the entire operation!

The other aspect is the play of the QB. As has been stated many times and as I stated back in the spring Willy does not have the ability to be an elite QB in this league. He is not accurate to put it lightly on deep throws. They are either way overthrown or underthrown. He does not read the defense well and seems to be able to only go to either the first choice or Harris in or out of the backfield, almost as if here you take it I don't want it! This is not the qualities of an elite QB. I look at "rookie" Jennings in BC - my word he has been thrown into the fire and is surviving. I look at Harris in Ottawa again somewhat of a rookie but nonetheless in his first year was able to move an offense in Toronto that was questionable and now able to move an Ottawa offense with only a training camp under his belt. Look at Gale in Sask this past weekend were he too was able to move an offense unlike our incumbent. Willy's numbers are great statistically only because he throws 3-5 yard passes and plays most games in garbage time.

So in a nutshell we have a QB running an offense that is not imaginative, not stretching the field because he can't do it anyway and as a result the defense can confidently move up to the line of scrimmage and stop the run knowing the only other weapon is the short dink and dunk of LaPo. Get use to it I guess because this will not change unless someone higher up tells a stubborn HC that change has to happen. Until then I will go back to my prediction in the spring 6-12 at best 4-14 at worse.

Glad I got rid of my season tickets yet again.