If we had Trevor Harris...

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If we had prime Walby bookended with prime Gorrell, along with John Bonk, David Black and Lyle Bauer inside with Tom Clements throwing the ball to Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, Joe Popp, James Murphy and Rick House with Blink in the backfield, we'd be 2-0 and putting up 40 a game.

Yeah I'd like to think so, but the CFL game has changed in the last 30 years. Not sure that Clements offence would do as well in the modern CFL, although those are my favorite memories from watching the CFL and attending games.

I have wondered if Bombers had that 3-4 defence now with West, Battle, Tyrone Jones, Hill, etc. whether they would be able to stop a team like Calgary. For sure, Messam would not be allowed to run wild, but they would probably have problems covering the 5 and 6 receiver formations. Not sure whether a Ty Jones would even get there fast enough to stop a Burris or Glenn from getting the ball off...

Upsetting that the bombers were blind to the idea of going after Trev Harris - they were locked and loaded on a 1-2 punch of Willy & Nichols, Willy has been a walking injury project last couple years and Nichols has had trouble eking out much respect in Edmonton - especially with a backdrop of Reilly, Franklin and the running man. The most telling aspect of the blindness is the bombers, stocked with a well below average to slightly below average o-line (depending on who you ask) have two guys who are basically drop back passers w/ limited mobility. In a league with hi-quality defenders, speedy defensive ends and linebackers almost as fast as running backs that's not a winning formula.

Willy occasionally scampers for 5 to 12 yards when he can't read open WRs while Nichols has a propensity to roll out of the pocket a bit more but he's still a statue compared to the league's running men. (ie. Jonathan Jennings, Collaros, Masoli, Reilly, Franklin, BL Mitchell, etc.) Even a 41 yr old guy like Burris can out leg both our guys = not to mention Trev Harris, Darian Durrant, Lulay, Kevin Glenn, etc. Only guy I'd say has less mobility than our 2 guys is 37 yr old Ricky Ray - but Ray has amazing pocket presence and knows how to outsmart a bull-rusher or even a speedy perimeter man.

Not having the ability to scamper for needed first downs puts our team at an incredible disadvantage. Teams can focus more on medium coverage and also stay with checked off RBs.

I refuse to pin all of this or even most of this on the qb. We have a great runningback and they are trying to get him established and it's not working. We know Harris can make things happen on the field, but he isn't and the reason is pretty simple. He's got no room to run with until the D backs off in the 4th quarter because the score is out of reach. It's high time they stop ******* around with the OL and get some American hogs in there who can make **** happen. Seemed like after every play one of the interior guys was getting picks up off the turf. You can't run and offense when the middle of your line isn't really doing much but getting pushed around. 

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I refuse to pin all of this or even most of this on the qb. We have a great runningback and they are trying to get him established and it's not working. We know Harris can make things happen on the field, but he isn't and the reason is pretty simple. He's got no room to run with until the D backs off in the 4th quarter because the score is out of reach. It's high time they stop ******* around with the OL and get some American hogs in there who can make **** happen. Seemed like after every play one of the interior guys was getting picks up off the turf. You can't run and offense when the middle of your line isn't really doing much but getting pushed around. 

Harris was very effective against Montreal, and his 3rd quarter production alone got the Montreal D to back off of Willy. He had a terrific game. In Calgary he barely touched the ball in the first half. I think he had around 7 or 8 carries in the 1st half. That's it. He's average 4.43 yards per carry. Our running game, when used, has actually been pretty fine. Compared to our tire fire of a passing game it looks like the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. 

Further, there's a massive difference between run blocking and pass blocking anyways. Even if Harris was getting good run block support it wouldn't help anyones case against Willy. 

So really what I'm driving at is, 1) Harris has been fine and compared to Willy amazing, and 2) It doesn't mean anything to compare rushing and pass blocking anyways

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

Harris was very effective against Montreal, and his 3rd quarter production alone got the Montreal D to back off of Willy. He had a terrific game. In Calgary he barely touched the ball in the first half. I think he had around 7 or 8 carries in the 1st half. That's it. He's average 4.43 yards per carry. Our running game, when used, has actually been pretty fine. Compared to our tire fire of a passing game it looks like the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. 

Further, there's a massive difference between run blocking and pass blocking anyways. Even if Harris was getting good run block support it wouldn't help anyones case against Willy. 

So really what I'm driving at is, 1) Harris has been fine and compared to Willy amazing, and 2) It doesn't mean anything to compare rushing and pass blocking anyways

my point is that if we had some guys who could run block it would mean the run game would work better and take some heat off Willy that way. I look at a guy like Matt Sheridan back in the day, not really that great a lineman all around but he was a big mean SOB and he could move people out of the way for Roberts and it made the job easier for the qbs at the time. I am not really interested in what the stats say about Harris' average, we see what the stats say about Willy and we know that won't float. Harris got stuff when they tried to go to him, this team constantly has trouble in short yardage situations. I would suggest that this team lacks some meanness and strength in the inside. You can fix a lot of problems with coaching but if guys are not physically up to par not much is going to change. 

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Watching the Stamps O-line operate with a group of largely unheralded Natls. is to marvel at whatever secret ingredient they possess that forms such cohesion.   They operate almost seamlessly and they are the main reason for years of success CGY. has had running the ball despite their very good RB's.  No wonder Messam took a pay cut during F.A. just to stay with the team, despite the majority opinion of him, he is not stupid.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

my point is that if we had some guys who could run block it would mean the run game would work better and take some heat off Willy that way. I look at a guy like Matt Sheridan back in the day, not really that great a lineman all around but he was a big mean SOB and he could move people out of the way for Roberts and it made the job easier for the qbs at the time. I am not really interested in what the stats say about Harris' average, we see what the stats say about Willy and we know that won't float. Harris got stuff when they tried to go to him, this team constantly has trouble in short yardage situations. I would suggest that this team lacks some meanness and strength in the inside. You can fix a lot of problems with coaching but if guys are not physically up to par not much is going to change. 

As Doug Brown alluded to on the Post Game Show it could be conditioning,  Is Wylie the man in charge of fitness and diet?

I really still think out Oline can't handle a pass rush..  Compared to Montreal and Calgary, our oline folds up, collapses like a broken folding table.  

I know its garbage time, but when Calgary was only rushing three, the pocket held like the other teams and Willy looked Great by comparison to earlier in the game.  Even with Calgary protecting the deep throws willy was accurate at throwing the recievers open.  

Last week I thought Willy was just ****, but this week i realized that maybe the Oline is still ****, and when they can stop the pressure (against three guys) willy can make accurate, short, mid and long throws even with their defence dropping into zone coverage.

So whats the fix to that? Can't really replace the oline mid season.  So.. Thanks Walters for this 3 season train wreck.  

Now WTF is wrong with the defence?  Posey and Fogg are getting schooled or we are playing too much zone.. The DL can't get any pressure allowing receivers to get open.. Are we being out coached or do our players suck more then we want to let on..

Edited by Adrenaline_x