Around The NHL 2016/2017

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The UFA's arent part of the direction, regardless of which direction it is.  No one expected the Jets to be active today in acquiring good young talent with term that could make the Jets better.  We expected them to sell their UFA's so they get something for nothing.  And they only did it with one guy.  And maybe hes the only guy that anyone was interested in but then Chevy looks a but dishonest if he says every year teams call for Thorbs but not this year. 

Unless Thorbs is an intricate part of the direction.  And if he is, we're in really bad shape.

This is the first year that Thorburn has been a healthy scratch as often as he has made his way into the lineup.   Just because there was interest in prior years, doesn't mean there is interest this year. 

The best we could get for Stafford, who can play his way up the lineup if needed,  was a conditional 6th round pick or a 7 round draft.  

What do you think Thorburn's value on the market even is this year?   You really think Chevy held onto Thorburn if there was interest out there?  And you honestly think that means Chevy was lying in prior years if there wasn't?

Lots of things this organisation can be criticised for.  Failing to trade a part time 4th line forward isn't one of them.

29 minutes ago, do or die said:

Dump Staff, get a pick...open up a slot for a younger guy with upside.   About as expected.

We all nod in agreement, until tomorrow when it's announced that Patrice Cormier has been called up...

But seriously - do they call anyone up?  Is Copp still up or is down with the Moose?  Thorbs gets a steady spot now?  Connor comes back up?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

17 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

We all nod in agreement, until tomorrow when it's announced that Patrice Cormier has been called up...

But seriously - do they call anyone up?  Is Copp still up or is down with the Moose?  Thorbs gets a steady spot now?  Connor comes back up?

We need a roster spot for Pav to sit in the pressbox.

17 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

By posing that question I assume you don't believe our management has a direction or a direction you don't believe is viable? My assumption is they do have a direction but I'm on the fence how much significant change we need to get us into the playoffs and be competitive. I do believe we are not at the stage of blowing everything up just yet.  

What is this direction? I, like you, listen when Chevy actually talks to the media. From my gathering he is trying to assemble a roster with considerable size/strength blended with some speed. Areas of concern continue to be fielding a competitive top six forward and defensemen lineup. We seem to have rolled the dice with our goaltending approach and did not get the consistency we were looking for.  Some of these players will not be Winnipeg Jets come the 2017 2018 season.   

With the coaching staff, none too happy with some of our outputs (pp, pk, coverages, offensive/defensive zone plays etc). Are we trying to create a system that plays to our player strengths or are we trying to make our players fit into a scheme that doesn't fit to their skill sets? One might suggest the latter. 

We will reevaluate our coaching staff this off season and make the necessary changes that we believe will improve our club. No ones job, including chevy's, is 100% secure right now.

This is my educated guess to answer your question with the caveat of having no insider knowledge.

I guess it's a bit of both.

I get the idea behind a "draft & develop" team. Every team drafts, every team develops. Some, like Wpg, however need to rely on it far more due to being a relatively undesirable, small market team. Get the idea, bought the tshirt. 

I give Chevy and his staff huge props for their drafts. No - you don't credit him for taking Laine after getting lucky with the ping pong balls.  But Scheifele (7th), Trouba (9th), Ehlers (9th), Morrissey (13th) are all excellent value 1st rd picks. Lowry (3rd rd), Copp (4th), Hellebuyck (5th) are solid later round selections.  Really, the draft successes have vastly outweighed the failures. 

Yet, here we are. 6 years & 2 coaches into Chevy's tenure and we're not a good team.  Not an improving, headed in the right direction unit. No, we're headed in the reverse direction.  Possession numbers are down since the playoff year. Specialty teams, just as stagnant as ever.  It took barely 2 years to turn Hellebuyck from one of the better prospects in the entire league to an almost forgotten guy amongst his own fanbase. 

Other than strictly individual performances  - what are the successes of this year?  what do we do well?  what (should) give us hope for the future?

I'm not in favour of a tear-down / rebuild either.  Truthfully though a big part of that is likely that I really do like Wheeler & Little.  I like what Buff brings, when he wants to.  I appreciate Enstrom's game and have tried not to be too hard on him, because he's aging. Happened to every HOF, too. I'd miss seeing these guys, the people, leave Winnipeg.

The more I think about it, the only plan I think there ever was was to build a more talented organization through the draft. They've done that - now let's see if they can turn this team into a winner.  And if that comes at the expense of a Wheeler or a Little or whomever - they have to look at it long & hard. 

Probably the ONE point we can all agree on: they can't expect to start next year with virtually the same roster and expect to be better. Can they? 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Probably the ONE point we can all agree on: they can't expect to start next year with virtually the same roster and expect to be better. Can they? 

I think they have the makings of a good corp group.  Helle is going to be like a fine wine, and only get better with age.  A full year of a healthy Myers and a happy Trouba and the addition of one or two more left D men (and the jettisoning of Toby and Stuart) and our D is looking good.  Then it's time next year for Lemieux, Connor and Roslo to make the jump.  I honestly think if the Jets can stay healthy next year could be the turnaround year.  If they can stay healthy.

if the link doesn't automatically embed yet again, Staff gave a statement saying that he'll miss the people of Winnipeg most of all and the whiteout in the 14-15 playoffs was the highlight of his time here

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffansofthewinnipegjets%2Fposts%2F1400354363348583&width=500" width="500" height="180" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" 

and Melchiori has been sent back to the moose.....why isn't he trade bait again?

Edited by iHeart

34 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

let me try to understand something, the higher the team I hate most advances in the playoffs the higher the round we'll get? I'll only cheer for them if they are not playing the Habs or the Sens

Edited by iHeart

57 minutes ago, iHeart said:

let me try to understand something, the higher the team I hate most advances in the playoffs the higher the round we'll get? I'll only cheer for them if they are not playing the Habs or the Sens

this kind of condition was why I was so happy to see Chicago eliminated in the first round last year.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

if the link doesn't automatically embed yet again, Staff gave a statement saying that he'll miss the people of Winnipeg most of all and the whiteout in the 14-15 playoffs was the highlight of his time here

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffansofthewinnipegjets%2Fposts%2F1400354363348583&width=500" width="500" height="180" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" 

and Melchiori has been sent back to the moose.....why isn't he trade bait again?

Cuz like Thorburn Pav Postma (who are all UFA and never got moved) 

Melchiori sucks and for all intents and purposes is worthless.  

Thorburn wasn't moved? Shocking. I mean how could a team pass up on a healthy scratch 4th line not even face puncher... 

He wasn't moved because reality... he sucks. He's worthless. Trading Stafford for a conditional 6th should show you that if any offer of any kind was there for any of Pav Postma Thorburn they would have moved him. I mean aren't there only 7 rounds in the draft? Stafford gets a 6th? Thorburn? A puck? But unfortunately you can't trade players for pucks

On 3/1/2017 at 6:26 PM, Goalie said:

Thorburn wasn't moved? Shocking. I mean how could a team pass up on a healthy scratch 4th line not even face puncher... 

He wasn't moved because reality... he sucks. He's worthless. Trading Stafford for a conditional 6th should show you that if any offer of any kind was there for any of Pav Postma Thorburn they would have moved him. I mean aren't there only 7 rounds in the draft? Stafford gets a 6th? Thorburn? A puck? But unfortunately you can't trade players for pucks

It sure would be funny if you could. Imagine the interview had with the puck on his new team?