Around The NHL 2016/2017

33 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Guess the NHL should have retired it then. Don't blame the kid.

Might be a generational thing.  Everyone who was around for Mario's exploits can argue he's in discussion for best player ever and taking his number is disrespectful.  Kids who maybe grew up at the tail end of Mario see it as honouring him (like kids buying his jersey to wear when they play road hockey with their friends).

Im of two minds.  I dont like it because Mario is as close to Wayne as it gets and I think its arrogant in that it brings discussion and pressure onto a player that doesnt need it.  On the other hand, 66 is fair game and his intentions are well meaning.

Coming home this weekend and checking out Jets fLames on Saturday...absolutely can't wait to see this kid play live for the first time. Doubly excited for the Jets to give Calgary a right good kicking that they've deserved for awhile now #OilersFan #JetsFan

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Coming home this weekend and checking out Jets fLames on Saturday...absolutely can't wait to see this kid play live for the first time. Doubly excited for the Jets to give Calgary a right good kicking that they always have & always will deserve #OilersFan #JetsFan

FYP

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Coming home this weekend and checking out Jets fLames on Saturday...absolutely can't wait to see this kid play live for the first time. Doubly excited for the Jets to give Calgary a right good kicking that they've deserved for awhile now #OilersFan #JetsFan

I don't care for the choice of hashtags so I'm going to assume you're a long suffering Houston Oilers fan. 

TAKE THAT, #OILERSFAN! 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Guess the NHL should have retired it then. Don't blame the kid.

Did somebody else choose that number for him?

He has a reputation for being full of himself, and choosing a number that will put the spotlight on him (moreso) seems par for the course. I'm really surprised the team let him do it.