Around The NHL 2016/2017

RFA based on years and age. So they'd still have him til 27 (or 7 years pro) 

So four years from now. Not really a big deal. He'd have to have a hell of a season next year to make I a tough negotiation. 

Unless he's amazing or a bust Jets probably re-up him next year without much of an issue. 

But signing what amounts to a 1 year deal is part of the incentive to get him to sign with the Jets now I suppose 

He'd get a signing bonus to sign here. But if he's not able to play then he doesn't burn year one of a two year deal which was the advantage Jets had in signing him. 

All teams will have an equal shot now, assuming he doesn't change his mind. 

Pretty disappointing.  Given the speculation of him signing today one can infer he and the jets were close. Hopefully he still wants to play here. 

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

Don't like these NCAA contract rules.

In regards to the signing bonus, not much of a difference getting it now or waiting 2 months and getting it in June from a team of his choosing.

The only leverage Jets had other than being the organization he's used to (attended camps) and being close to home was the ability to burn a year. 

Have to think he picks his team now. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The only leverage Jets had other than being the organization he's used to (attended camps) and being close to home was the ability to burn a year. 

Have to think he picks his team now. 

That whole 'close to home' thing made no sense anyway...  sign with the Wild if its that big a deal.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'm still nervous until he signs... 

Lets hope.  He did attend all the camps, I believe.  So he has a relationship with the Jets.  If his intent is to sign Im still surprised they wouldnt just do it now, get the bonus money and, I'd assume, Jets would be heavily involved in the medical process, rehab etc.  But Im sure there are reasons not to sign. 

Hopefully it happens.  Unless he has a team he really really wants to play for, one would think he'd go with the team that he's been involved with for years.  Money is going to be the same.  Contract length is going to be the same.

I mean I don't see it advantageous to him to outright lie or mislead the team and our market.

People understand it's his right to pick a team should he choose.  If that's the route he ends up taking, why not state it now.

But as you say, reasons to sign or not sign that we may not be privy to.