Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wow my brain is definitely not functioning..  (I have a 3 week old baby at home).....   Thorpe is the obvious choice duh!!

I wonder if Thorpe bolts to Edmonton to replace Maas and Benevides?  

Benevides maybe, but I think Maas gets at least one more year in Edmonton before they axe him. Maas may have to can Benevides to appease the masses if they bow out early (or miss the playoffs altogether).

Other than Montreal, who else would have an HC opening? I heard on the radio today that Milanovich's job may be up for grabs but that would be foolish for Toronto to do and I honestly don't see it happening especially given what they just gave up for Willy, a guy who Milanovich was vouching for.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

yep...was a contract issue....but he'd be a coaching "FA" this off-season, I believe. 

Was it a contract issue? Okay. I wasn't certain. I thought maybe he wanted a new challenge, out of MTL,  or a clearer path to a HC job.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Was it a contract issue? Okay. I wasn't certain. I thought maybe he wanted a new challenge, out of MTL,  or a clearer path to a HC job.

Yes he did, but he had a contract issue with Montreal....in so much as he was still under contract to Montreal, and they would not let him go to another team.....so he had to stay. Seems to me it was quite acrimonious at the time, but this would be the final year of his contract, I believe, so he'll definitely be looking to get out after this season.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

was some talk on Twitter recently that Thorpe might be tired of the gong show and look to leave for greener pastures as soon as the season is (mercifully?) over...

I would guess Mtl might offer the HC position to entice him to stay... but really, who else is likely to be looking for a new HC next year?

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes he did, but he had a contract issue with Montreal....in so much as he was still under contract to Montreal, and they would not let him go to another team.....so he had to stay. Seems to me it was quite acrimonious at the time, but this would be the final year of his contract, I believe, so he'll definitely be looking to get out after this season.

It was very acrimonious but he might be stuck there for another year.  When this all went down in December, all the reports (and Popp himself) said Thorpe had 2 years left on his contract.

Who would want to be the Als head coach after what happened to Tom Higgins?

It's bad enough when a boss thinks they can do your job.  It's even worse when the boss wants to do your job.

Plus you've got local legend AC lurking in the wings.  I suspect that the long-term plan (such as it is) is for AC to become the head coach and that Popp made himself the interim guy so that there'd be no awkward contracts or coaches hanging around when it comes time to elevate AC.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Wow my brain is definitely not functioning..  (I have a 3 week old baby at home).....   Thorpe is the obvious choice duh!!

I wonder if Thorpe bolts to Edmonton to replace Maas and Benevides?  

Condolences.  If you bought it at Costco you can take it back, even if you don't have a receipt.

13 hours ago, JCon said:

Thorpe has a no movement clause in his contract. He resigned and it was reported that he was going to be the DC in Edmonton. Montreal complained, the League stepped in and Thorpe had to return to Montreal. Thorpe reportedly resigned because he was upset that Popp had named Kavis Reed assistant head coach to keep him from leaving (which Thorpe had been named the year before - they have 2).