Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

Why on earth would Ottawa consider trading Burris. They signed Harris for the very reason of securing depth at QB. Now they would trade away that depth? QB controversy they will be happy to have theirs vs the controversy as to Wpg not entertaining substituting their depth QB even for a series or two.

2 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Perhaps if we were privey to what Campbell may have said whilst he was in the field you maybe happier with him being fined.

I never said that I was unhappy that he was fined.  Just tell us why. 

Are you privy to what Campbell said?

18 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Perhaps if we were privey to what Campbell may have said whilst he was in the field you maybe happier with him being fined.

This.  Campbell wasn't out on the field for any other reason than to have a go at Carter but what prompted him to do so is a bit of a mystery.  He's far from an innocent victim.

CFL  POWDER RANKINGS WEEK 2 -  For the fun of it version...

1 (2) Ottawa 2-0 - For the scone week in a row, Ottawa has started 9 Nationals and won.

Passing: T. Harris (20-26, 395 YDS, 3 TD)
Rushing: T. Van (12 CARS, 86 YDS)
Receiving: C. Williams (7 REC, 187 YDS, 1 TD)
Burris ended a streak of 73 consecutive games started. He is out six weeks with a broken finger. No matter, Trevor Harris, making his first start in place of injured Henry Burris, passed for 395 yards and threw touchdowns to Ernest Jackson, Greg Ellingson and Chris Williams as the Redblacks defeated the Alouettes 28-13 on Thursday night. 
A very good game plan had Van running and Harris passing...good combo. Harris and Williams have really got it going.

2 (4) BC 2-0 BC 2-0? Yep. 
Jennings, despite having a somewhat 'average' game, 16-27 228 yards (oh how we wish for an average game like that and win), did enough to drag them out of a dull 1st half by using a solid rushing game. 9 first downs to 3 rushing. TOP 35-25 BC. 
The BC defence was solid throughout and was instrumental in the win. They've allowed 21 points in 2 games
Leone out-kicked Maher when it counted. 3 FGs to 0

3 (1) Hamilton what the hell happened to the mighty Ticats...on home field...with the same lineup? A better game plan from BC, that's what. And their own home field advantage? The wind. But most of all...a very stingy Lion defence. 3 points. 4 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries. And Geoff 'long gone' Tisdale.
And the Ticats were distracted - I think by the bright BC lion uniforms.
Masoli was, well Masoli-like, not Collaros-like this week.
Penalties didn't help either. Penalty 1st downs for BC...5

4 (6) Calgary - Calgary benefited, this week, in this official scrimmage against the bingo card team from Manitoba. BLM, once again, tore apart the 'Peg defence when he was allowed time to throw, and time on offence to open their playbook due to the ineffectiveness of the Bomber offence and defence. Can't really tell how effective the Calgary defence is because they really didn't have to play that much when it counted.

5 (3) Montreal - Montreal lost because...well, because they weren't playing a team from Winnipeg.
Passing: K. Glenn (26-42, 259 YDS, 1 TD) Rushing: T. Sutton (8 CARS, 39 YDS)
Receiving: N. Lewis (9 REC, 114 YDS)
Duron "egotistic indulgence" Carter, an injured SJ green and a fuzzy performance by K. Glenn led to this average performance. 
The good news, 3 more sacks for the D.
Play of the game for M - Cox, running his asp off to catch Sinipoli, punch out and prevent a TD. Great hustle.

6 (5) Edmonton - bye week. Patiently waiting for the return of....Jones, and the Riders in their next game.

7 (8) Toronto - it's said that Ray had 5 passes dropped on him. He sure misses an Owens type and a revitalized Andre Durie. Toronto used a couple of plays to blow past a disjointed Sask. team and were never behind in the game. Didn't see enough out of Toronto to boost them much higher. They haven't shown that they will be climbing much higher...

8 (-) Saskatchewan -  Durant played pretty well for being off that long. Roosevelt was/is a catch. Can't say the same for the rest of the receivers. Can't tell whether Sask defence had a good game or Ray was playing a little cautious. The half time feature had N Roosevelt as the up and comer new receiver showing all these stats where he shone compared to other good receivers. Two of the names that kept popping up were Dressler and Smith.

9 (7) Winnipeg  Back to the position we own. 9th. 

What have they done to the Nipeg Blue BombersST is the only area we can point to as CFL ready. The defence isn't.  The offence sure the hell isn't.

Everybody used to love Mike O'Shea. The guy we were sure would guide us out of the doldrums. After week 2, in his 3rd season, everybody is questioning Mike O'Shea. And Mike doesn't have the answers.

Talent? Coaching? Game-Planning? 

There is no team identity. No direction. We're free falling.

What have they done with my Nipeg Bombers? They've taken the Win out...

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL  POWDER RANKINGS WEEK 2 -  For the fun of it version...

1 (2) Ottawa 2-0 - For the scone week in a row, Ottawa has started 9 Nationals and won.

Passing: T. Harris (20-26, 395 YDS, 3 TD)
Rushing: T. Van (12 CARS, 86 YDS)
Receiving: C. Williams (7 REC, 187 YDS, 1 TD)
Burris ended a streak of 73 consecutive games started. He is out six weeks with a broken finger. No matter, Trevor Harris, making his first start in place of injured Henry Burris, passed for 395 yards and threw touchdowns to Ernest Jackson, Greg Ellingson and Chris Williams as the Redblacks defeated the Alouettes 28-13 on Thursday night. 
A very good game plan had Van running and Harris passing...good combo. Harris and Williams have really got it going.

2 (4) BC 2-0 BC 2-0? Yep. 
Jennings, despite having a somewhat 'average' game, 16-27 228 yards (oh how we wish for an average game like that and win), did enough to drag them out of a dull 1st half by using a solid rushing game. 9 first downs to 3 rushing. TOP 35-25 BC. 
The BC defence was solid throughout and was instrumental in the win. They've allowed 21 points in 2 games
Leone out-kicked Maher when it counted. 3 FGs to 0

3 (1) Hamilton what the hell happened to the mighty Ticats...on home field...with the same lineup? A better game plan from BC, that's what. And their own home field advantage? The wind. But most of all...a very stingy Lion defence. 3 points. 4 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries. And Geoff 'long gone' Tisdale.
And the Ticats were distracted - I think by the bright BC lion uniforms.
Masoli was, well Masoli-like, not Collaros-like this week.
Penalties didn't help either. Penalty 1st downs for BC...5

4 (6) Calgary - Calgary benefited, this week, in this official scrimmage against the bingo card team from Manitoba. BLM, once again, tore apart the 'Peg defence when he was allowed time to throw, and time on offence to open their playbook due to the ineffectiveness of the Bomber offence and defence. Can't really tell how effective the Calgary defence is because they really didn't have to play that much when it counted.

5 (3) Montreal - Montreal lost because...well, because they weren't playing a team from Winnipeg.
Passing: K. Glenn (26-42, 259 YDS, 1 TD) Rushing: T. Sutton (8 CARS, 39 YDS)
Receiving: N. Lewis (9 REC, 114 YDS)
Duron "egotistic indulgence" Carter, an injured SJ green and a fuzzy performance by K. Glenn led to this average performance. 
The good news, 3 more sacks for the D.
Play of the game for M - Cox, running his asp off to catch Sinipoli, punch out and prevent a TD. Great hustle.

6 (5) Edmonton - bye week. Patiently waiting for the return of....Jones, and the Riders in their next game.

7 (8) Toronto - it's said that Ray had 5 passes dropped on him. He sure misses an Owens type and a revitalized Andre Durie. Toronto used a couple of plays to blow past a disjointed Sask. team and were never behind in the game. Didn't see enough out of Toronto to boost them much higher. They haven't shown that they will be climbing much higher...

8 (-) Saskatchewan -  Durant played pretty well for being off that long. Roosevelt was/is a catch. Can't say the same for the rest of the receivers. Can't tell whether Sask defence had a good game or Ray was playing a little cautious. The half time feature had N Roosevelt as the up and comer new receiver showing all these stats where he shone compared to other good receivers. Two of the names that kept popping up were Dressler and Smith.

9 (7) Winnipeg  Back to the position we own. 9th. 

What have they done to the Nipeg Blue BombersST is the only area we can point to as CFL ready. The defence isn't.  The offence sure the hell isn't.

Everybody used to love Mike O'Shea. The guy we were sure would guide us out of the doldrums. After week 2, in his 3rd season, everybody is questioning Mike O'Shea. And Mike doesn't have the answers.

Talent? Coaching? Game-Planning? 

There is no team identity. No direction. We're free falling.

What have they done with my Nipeg Bombers? They've taken the Win out...

I see what you did there.

Lawless reports CFLPA is considering appealing the Carter suspension on the basis of concussion protocol.  The NHL really screwed the pooch on the Wideman thing.  Blaming a concussion?  Give me a break.  Whats next, is this going to become a legal defense?  Oh sorry I killed that guy, I had a concussion.  Ridiculous.  You're still responsible for your actions.

51 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Lawless reports CFLPA is considering appealing the Carter suspension on the basis of concussion protocol.  The NHL really screwed the pooch on the Wideman thing.  Blaming a concussion?  Give me a break.  Whats next, is this going to become a legal defense?  Oh sorry I killed that guy, I had a concussion.  Ridiculous.  You're still responsible for your actions.

It is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

It is what it is. 

Its going to hamstring every attempt at discipline if this stuff doesnt get nipped in the bud.  If the PA wins, my response as a league would be everytime a player is hit around the head, to immediately pull him for extensive concussion protocol.  And see how many players like that...

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its going to hamstring every attempt at discipline if this stuff doesnt get nipped in the bud.  If the PA wins, my response as a league would be everytime a player is hit around the head, to immediately pull him for extensive concussion protocol.  And see how many players like that...

Your reaction through a broad statement is pretty normal. 

evidence of a concussion can not be ignored. If what your saying is the evidence isn't worth the paper it's written on, that is another matter completely. Manufacturing evidence is an egregious act. The professionals that might make unsupported evidence would be in a very tenuous position. Their risk is high. Higher than supporting Carter for a one day suspension.

the league reacting by pulling players is a reactionary knee jerk activity that is counter to the CFLPA and CFL agreement. The parties have agreed to have a dispute resolution mechanism, to live with the out come, and then move on.

More Redblacks than Alouettes fined...  message - don't stand up for your coach.

If Carter has a suspected concussion, he should sit out until he's cleared...  so should every receiver that gets hit.  Let's be safe.

At least Wideman kind of looked disoriented... Carter just looked like a ****.

Enough crap.  The CFL needs to take action and penalize defenders on the spot during the game who lead with their helmets as Macho did on his big hit and Gavins did when he hammered Carter in the end-zone.   The days of headhunting Safeties, LB's and D-backs should be in the past.  Proper tackling needs to replace punishment and those that continue to practice of trying to intimidate receivers should be drummed out of the league.

The loud snap of a plastic on plastic collision is enough to alert the refs. as to what occurred on the play.  It's understandable some of these plays happen accidentally but a quick review from the command center should be able to determine if there was intention. 

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Enough crap.  The CFL needs to take action and penalize defenders on the spot during the game who lead with their helmets as Macho did on his big hit and Gavins did when he hammered Carter in the end-zone.   The days of headhunting Safeties, LB's and D-backs should be in the past.  Proper tackling needs to replace punishment and those that continue to practice of trying to intimidate receivers should be drummed out of the league.

The loud snap of a plastic on plastic collision is enough to alert the refs. as to what occurred on the play.  It's understandable some of these plays happen accidentally but a quick review from the command center should be able to determine if there was intention. 

I found it odd in Regina on Thursday DD takes helmet to helmet head shot right beside the head referee and no call until Jones challenged it. I can't imagine what the hell the ref is seeing on that play to not make a call. I could hear the sound of helmets popping when they banged together..

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I found it odd in Regina on Thursday DD takes helmet to helmet head shot right beside the head referee and no call until Jones challenged it. I can't imagine what the hell the ref is seeing on that play to not make a call. I could hear the sound of helmets popping when they banged together..

yeah that play was pretty obviously a head hit. And considering they made this rule specifically for the qbs....I don't understand how it was missed. Just horrible CFL refs...as per the usual

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The rule should apply to all players equally, not just the QB's.

I agree. I was just commenting on how obvious that play was, and that the refs are supposed to be watching for head hits to QB's. But it was still missed.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The rule should apply to all players equally, not just the QB's.

Absolutely true. The thing with the qb's is a ref is almost always standing 10 feet from him looking right at him. That ref is usually head      official which makes missing the call even worse.

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Your reaction through a broad statement is pretty normal. 

evidence of a concussion can not be ignored. If what your saying is the evidence isn't worth the paper it's written on, that is another matter completely. Manufacturing evidence is an egregious act. The professionals that might make unsupported evidence would be in a very tenuous position. Their risk is high. Higher than supporting Carter for a one day suspension.

the league reacting by pulling players is a reactionary knee jerk activity that is counter to the CFLPA and CFL agreement. The parties have agreed to have a dispute resolution mechanism, to live with the out come, and then move on.

Come on...lets not kid ourselves.  The player is lying to try and get out of a suspension.  Period.  If he's claiming that he suffered a concussion that, if the bump never happens, he's never taken out, never diagnosed, never has a single symptom, then maybe concussions are so nefarious that every physical play should result in immediate concussion protocol.  Which would be ridiculous.  Which was my point ofcourse.

The defense is ridiculous and cowardly.  Grown man should take responsibility for his actions.