Bombers Opener June 24 ... (also Laine Day!)

IC Khari

Just now, iso_55 said:

The Bombers are deadbeats

Why would you say that? Season hasn't even started yet. They made a lot of (I think) positive changes in the off season. They still have a long way to go, especially Drew Willy.  But bottom line is Drew give the Bombers the best chance to win. I'd like to see him stay healthy this year to see what he can do. He's got to come of his first read though. He must get better at that. He's got arguably the worst secondary in the CFL for his first game so I hope he can light them up, we'll see. Looking forward to seeing how the #1 player in the CFL can do against Ottawa this weekend too.  First week of the season is almost always the hardest to predict. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

sincerely hope they're not jeopardizing the long term just to have him in there for Game 1...

I'd hope they are smarter than to do put him out to get hurt again right away but at this point, nothing surprises me anymore.

Short answer? Yes. 

Long answer? I think they know how important he is to the roster, and maybe more importantly to them, they know how important he is at the ticket window. If he's *close*, they'd let him play, even if he's not fully 100% yet. And honestly, if it's a situation where he could tweak it again and miss 6 weeks, I'd rather sit him this week and give him a pile of time to heal up good n proper before the next game...

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

sincerely hope they're not jeopardizing the long term just to have him in there for Game 1...

They have to declare their roster now.  They won't play him if he's not ready, but they won't make that decision until tomorrow.

I am curious what they would have done with the 4th DI if he was 100% though.  Still Flanders, or...?

8 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Do you honestly believe the training staff would give him the go ahead if they thought it would cause long term problems?

As well, in this day in age unlike previous generations, there is a lot more protocol to follow in returning from injury.    

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

They have to declare their roster now.  They won't play him if he's not ready, but they won't make that decision until tomorrow.

I am curious what they would have done with the 4th DI if he was 100% though.  Still Flanders, or...?

This is a good point. Announce him as starting now, to help ticket sales, then can always sit him at game time...

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Short answer? Yes. 

Long answer? I think they know how important he is to the roster, and maybe more importantly to them, they know how important he is at the ticket window. If he's *close*, they'd let him play, even if he's not fully 100% yet. And honestly, if it's a situation where he could tweak it again and miss 6 weeks, I'd rather sit him this week and give him a pile of time to heal up good n proper before the next game...

I'm sure if they think it's possible he could miss the next six weeks if he plays tomorrow, they'd rather sit him too. They have tickets to sell over that time span as well.