bombers draft in review.

wbbfan

9th Trent corney DL virginia 6'3 255. Crazy gifted athlete was considered a threat to be a late pick in the nfl, some how not even a UDFA signee. 4.6 flat speed the video of him jumping out of the pool forwards and backwards is jaw dropping. 

10th Michael couture OL simon fraser. 6'4 292. Was considered undersized and in need of mass. Played around 280 in college.  Was pretty versatile and played all positions along the line in college.

19th Taylor loffler DB UBC  6'3 218 Was at boise state missed 2 years with hip and knee injuries before ending up at UBC. Big, athletic had to fight for draft eligibility. Combine numbers werent great, but seems to play fast rather then be a combine guy.

28th Shane gauthier LB Laval 5'10 223. 4.6 40 all around good mix of intangibles and athletic skill. Not huge, but i could see him making an impact on teams right away. 

37th Zachary Intzandt OL Mcmaster 6'4 303lbs Dont know alot other then he went through a position change. 

46th Rupert Butcher DL Western ontario 6'4 327. Combine monster, wrecked people in the 1 on 1s.

55th Alex Vitt SB U of M 6'1 205. Local guy who had a solid year for the bisons 31 catches 728 yards and 4 scores. Didnt see alot of production in the back half of the year though.

63rd Frank renaud LB Windsor 6'1 215. Played in the shrine bowl last year, hard work guy with a nose for the football.

Any one have any more info on these guys? Grade A draft in my books. We got a great mix of guys with potential to start, we got Athleticism, and some guys who can make and impact on teams. 

Just now, Jpan85 said:

Wylie and Lapolice had Couture as the top OL in the draft for what it's worth. Walters had him at 3.

He was high up on the cfl's list too. Idk why he fell, weight perhaps. But he looks like a huge steal. 

15 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

sounds like it was a pretty good draft, only one that id say that puzzles me is picking gauthier at 28 when dillon guy was still on the board. most people said theyd be happy with him as our 9 or 10 pick, so BC grabbing him at 30 might put the microscope on Gauthier a little, at least for me

He was picked kinda quick, but a guy with that mix of toughness, athletic ability, and intangibles im just looking forward to seeing him in camp.

If any thing not grabbing lalama when both our last picks would be available as free agents is a bit puzzling. But im not complaining. 

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

That receiver who showed up at the CFL Main Combine dressed in a hoodie refusing to answer coaches questions sounds like a real "prize". The Riders took him so  good luck with that.

Murphy still drafting like he's got Stampeders Cdn depth as a backup plan...

Riders I thought drafted poorly and Edmonton. Bunch of futures picks. Interesting strategy really by sask and Edmonton especially. 

Bombers probably had the best overall draft. Ya maybe 1 or 2 guys off the board so to speak but... Gauthier is a laval guy.... probably be a solid special teams guy. 

Renaud? Meh. It's a round that was added. At that point you are really just guessing. 

The OL Zach. Hes a pr type. Developmental guy. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

Guy? Lots of teams passed on him. Has to be a reason really. On tsn they said he rubbed some ppl the wrong way with his attitude. I also think his injury history played a role. 

Judging a draft on who can start right away? I'm not a fan of that. Most these guys need time to adjust.  I wouldn't be surprised tho if Couture is playing sooner rather than later tho.  

Butcher could be a beast. Could be a huge steal. Dominated at e camp. Loffler looks like he could start also at safety.  Corney will Def be on the roster buy with Westerman he isn't starting this year. 

Edited by Goalie

I can assure you Drew Tate doesn't have a bad attitude. He lets his emotions get the better of him. He never could reign them in & stay calm. Injuries & wearing his heart on his sleeve cost him his starting job with the Stamps to a rising Bo Levi Mitchell. Huge price to pay.

I would have liked Dillon Guy or Llevi Noel in the 4th round... but otherwise this seems like a great draft for the Bombers...

The 2 teams that I thought made some confusing moves were Edm and Sask b/c of their futures picks... Edm b/c their top 2 picks have NFL contracts so who knows when they see them... and Sask b/c they are not really in a position to be making futures... I would think they need as many Cdn players in camp now as possible...

I was cheering for Onyemata to succeed before this.... now I want him to be the best Canadian player ever drafted in the NFL...

Here's the Bombers draft through the eyes of John Hodge.

Extra information if you will..

Round 2 Pick 9: DE Trent Corney, Virginia

Corney is arguably the best Canadian defensive end prospect since Ricky Foley was drafted fourth overall by the Lions in 2006. Many scouts were surprised Corney went unselected in April’s NFL draft, which speaks to the value of this selection. Corney will immediately make an impact on Winnipeg’s special teams and should serve as a rotational pass rusher. The Virginia product projects as a starting defensive end at the CFL level.

Round 2, Pick 10: OL Michael Couture, Simon Fraser

A player who many predicted would be selected third overall by his hometown BC Lions, Couture is an athletic centre who projects as an interior CFL offensive lineman. Undersized throughout his collegiate career, Couture was able to bulk up to 292 pounds this past off-season, dramatically raising his draft stock. Couture is friends with fellow Simon Fraser product and starting Blue Bomber centre Matthias Goossen.

Round 3, Pick 19: DB Taylor Loffler, University of British Columbia

Originally recruited to Boise State, Loffler is a rangy safety who boats a rare combination of size (6’4, 218 pounds) and ball-hawking ability. Loffler should immediately become one of the Bombers’ best cover players on special teams and projects as a starting CFL safety in the not-too-distant future.

Round 4, Pick 28: LB Shayne Gauthier, Laval

An undersized linebacker at 5’10, 223 pounds, Gauthier runs well – he ran a 4.67 40-yard dash at March’s CFL combine – and should make an immediate impact on the Bombers’ special teams units. Many scouts speak highly of Gauthier’s high motor and toughness – the two traits Mike O’Shea most covets in his players.

Round 5, Pick 37: OL Zachary Intzandt, McMaster

A converted defensive lineman, Intzandt boasts above-average athleticism for his 6’5, 304 pound frame. Intzandt is a raw talent who will likely need a minimum of two years under Bob Wylie’s tutelage before he is ready to take on a starting role on the offensive line.

Round 6, Pick 46: DT Rupert Butcher, Western

Butcher dominated in the one-on-one drills at the CFL combine in March. Though he boasts impressive athleticism for his 6’5, 335 pound frame, some scouts would like to see him lose 20 to 30 pounds. Butcher was expected to go as high as 20th overall in this year’s draft, making him a great value pick at 46. He’ll slot in at nose tackle behind newly acquired starter Keith Shologan and incumbent back-up Jake Thomas.

Round 7, Pick 55: WR Alex Vitt, Manitoba

Vitt doesn’t boast the same raw athleticism as many of this year’s CFL receiving prospects, but his strong hands and crisp route running drew a lot of attention from scouts as the off-season progressed. Born in Winnipeg, Vitt graduated from J. H. Bruns Collegiate before spending time with the Winnipeg Rifles. Vitt is the first Manitoba product drafted by the Bombers since Don Oramasionwu was selected in 2008.

Round 8, Pick 63: LB Frank Renaud, Windsor

Renaud was named the Lancers’ Defensive Player of the Year in 2014 and participated in the 2015 East-West Bowl. Renaud, 6’1, 215 pounds, projects as a CFL special teamer.

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/10/breaking-down-the-bombers-draft-picks/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

When Walters went with Loffler at 19 I was elated...This kid is going to be a CFL all star..IF he can stay healthy....All he does is make plays and is as tough as nails...I really liked the Couture and Corney pics and Loffler just put the icing on the cake...A lot of other solid pics in the latter rounds and I agree that Walters gets an A...Finally showing us his in depth knowledge of the college ranks..

Did a little dance with space baby when I found out we drafted Corney.  I don't know anything about the two linebackers we picked, so whatever, I'll just leave that alone.  As for the others, I love those picks.  For the players we got and the picks we got them at, it screams huge value and a ton of upside.  Three guys who could, probably should start someday, another two who might have that potential and certainly will rotate in for snaps or serve as backups, two LBs who at worst should be contributing on teams, and a local kid.  Seems like we made the most of what we had for opportunities.

Dear Mr. Onyemata, until we acquire your rights, please stay in the NFL.  Respectfully yours, mbrg.

I was watching the draft on TV and following on twitter, did anyone else notice that Justin Dunk was leaking the picks before they were made on TSN? and then it abruptly kind of stopped around pick 8 or 9. Dunk works for Sportsnet but also works for CFL.CA, wonder if someone at CFL.CA had a word  with him. Thought him leaking the picks before TSN announced them was kind of douchey, However at the same time, TSN's coverage was pretty brutal, lots of talk, tons of talk. If they cut out half the talk and just concentrated on the picks instead they probably could have done 3 rounds in one hour on TV.