Bombers FA Signings 2016

Noeller

NFL teams had until the start of the new league year to tender their unrestricted free agents. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein, the Green Bay Packers decided not to extend a tender to restricted free agent Andy Mulumba, allowing the linebacker to hit the open market.

Mulumba joined the Packers in 2013 as an undrafted free agent, winning a job on the 53 after a strong training camp and preseason. He played sparingly as a rookie, registering 30 tackles and one sack. He didn't have much an opportunity to improve upon those numbers in his second year, as a torn ACL knocked him out two games into the season. Mulumba recovered quickly and won a roster spot again in 2015, but he fell behind younger players like Jayrone Elliott on the depth chart.

While Mulumba has become a free agent, his time in Green Bay has not necessarily concluded. The Packers could still re-sign the linebacker at a price lower than the original-round tender, though the team has not expressed any interest publicly in doing so. More likely, Mulumba finds himself playing football elsewhere in 2016.

In 22 career regular season games, Mulumba has 35 total tackles and one sack.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/3/9/11188246/packers-do-not-tender-andy-mulumba-who-becomes-a-free-agent-per-report

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Mulumba would be awesome... 26 yrs - maybe a team takes a chance, have my doubts after ACL...

All Cdn DL... love it.  Only downside would be the posters claiming Mack was a genius for signing him...

He's 26 now. I think it's time for him to make the move up here. GMs have to be thinking they can get similar production from younger players.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Is height that much more important then having good hands?

no. But taller players usually bring a bigger overall body with them. Which can be very helpful in positioning against defenders for the ball and blocking down field for the run. But you're right, if they can't catch, height, weight etc isn't going to matter. 

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Mulumba would be awesome... 26 yrs - maybe a team takes a chance, have my doubts after ACL...

All Cdn DL... love it.  Only downside would be the posters claiming Mack was a genius for signing him...

I think you mean drafting him, and if that's the case, all of the credit should go to Casey Creehan on that one.

18 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

EEEEEEEEEEK this would be a huge huge move if we finally got him. 

As for tall WRs, it does have some strong advantages. I wouldnt place any skill or attribute over the ability to catch, but size is up there right after it. Weve seen a few guys over the years who couldnt catch a cold. Kamau incompleterson hands of stone cloman, etc. Having a guy with a 8-10" height advantage who can iso and run a fade is huge especially in the red zone. That said id take a guy who after catching is more of a technically sound wr. Great route running, knowing when to change gears, find the soft spot in zone etc over the burners and giants who cant do any of that.

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International wide receiver/returner Solomon Patton.

Patton (5-9, 177, Florida, October 17, 1990 in Mobile, AL) was Tampa Bay’s primary kick and punt returner in 2014, averaging 11.2 yards per punt return, and 23.1 on kickoff returns. He spent last season in Denver’s training camp, while also spending a brief period with Arizona.

Patton had a standout career at the University of Florida, playing four seasons (2010-2013), and appearing in 43 games, totalling 52 receptions for 635 yards and six touchdowns. He also returned 39 kicks for 1,079 yards and one touchdown. Patton was voted team MVP after his senior season, and set a team record for highest kick return average in a season with 29.2 yards per return.

Interesting depth at the KR spot for TC. Kinda sounds like vinny sutherland to me.