Assuming were done with FA, whats left on the shopping list?

Taynted_Fayth

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

There was a player who played in place of Washington last year that looked fairly good. Posey or something I think. I believe the coaches were pretty high on him. And then there's Waggoner who is built to be a safety in the CFL. SO really we might not need any new comers in the secondary at all. Or they could put Legget back to Safety, Randle back to Sam and Bucknor or some rookie at Field corner. Again no need for 2 rookies there.

It definitely depends on how they decide to move things around.  It also very much depends on Randle coming back at %100. By the end of the season Bucknor was starting to get picked on a little so that might be the reason the Bombers are thinking about moving Randle there. 

I would love for Waggoner to be ready to start back there. But at this point we just have no idea whether that is the case or not. 

I think it was Posey and I think you are right if I am remembering things correctly, (which is always sketchy.), he looked pretty good.  Posey starting at HB would still be a question mark though because of his small sample size.

The biggest questions on the team right now are clearly in the secondary.

I don't think Bucknor goes anywhere to be honest, I think either Randle or Adams are a likely candidate to step into the vacated half back spot, the other playing the corner and Bucknor and Johnson on the other side. That just leaves the safety which could be Legget or it could be someone else. Either way there's lots of options. I am more concerned about rbs and receivers because I still don't know what they have for depth there, obviously the OL is a concern and the DL I don't know how that will work out because I still don't see who plays the other DE spot and perhaps people are expecting Shologan to be better than he actually is....

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think Bucknor goes anywhere to be honest, I think either Randle or Adams are a likely candidate to step into the vacated half back spot, the other playing the corner and Bucknor and Johnson on the other side. That just leaves the safety which could be Legget or it could be someone else. Either way there's lots of options. I am more concerned about rbs and receivers because I still don't know what they have for depth there, obviously the OL is a concern and the DL I don't know how that will work out because I still don't see who plays the other DE spot and perhaps people are expecting Shologan to be better than he actually is....

That's what I don't understand.  With the other positions you are worried about depth, but in the secondary we don't even know who will start.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Shologan will be the unsung hero in the group.  He had 8 sacks last year, but that's not what he does best. He will eat up blocks which will give the others more space.  He's a good solid player. I agree that the other DE spot could use improvement, but we know based on last year who the most likely candidates to start there are.  Peach or Johnson.  Peach...meh.  Johnson...might have something there.

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

Sign Nik Lewis as a WR coach  /  back up receiver /  6th OL guy?

I agree on Shologan....vastly under rated...Riders DID NOT want to see him go back east in the Ottawa purge but they foolishly let him go...He's back west now and ready to do his thing and we're the benefactor...I wonder too if he thought that the riders didn't do everything possible to keep him in Sask. and that figured in where he signed...I know they wanted him back 'bigtime' and it was his turn to give THEM the finger...Any way works for us, and I hope he gets extra nasty when he plays his old team to the west..

As with every off-season... we are vastly over-estimated our QB depth and our OL talent

Walters has addressed the bombers NI issues... this team finally looks deep at NI, that is huge.

Scouts have proven they can find DBs and LBs...  Osh just needs to prove he can move on from Peach, Hurl and Harris

Need a rookie to steal Adams job and maybe Denmark's

Trade our two second round picks for a first rounder - argos or stamps?

Draft Vaillancourt

On 2/11/2016 at 10:10 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

I remember the game where I believe both Moore and denmark were injured (maybe like week 5 or 6) and thinking Darvin who? as our go to guy and he stepped up huge in that win.  the guy can be real good. But hes not the only one that took games off.  last season was pretty deflatting both for the players and fans, especially those games we lost cuz of our kicker ugh

Is there any info on J. Veltung?  I don't see his name used... his stats were good don't you think guys!

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I see it as we have a lot of options there just sorting out who goes where is left to be determined. 

That's fair.

I guess the way that I see it is that with all of the other positions I know who will be starting and therefore it's something I can quantify.  Who's great, who's good, who's average and who's below average.

In the secondary however, I don't know who will be starting and therefor I can't quantify it. Every time I try to put together what the secondary will look like my best case scenario only has 5 of the 6 possible positions filled, (2CBs, 2HBs, 1 safety, 1 strong side LB.), with players that are quantifiable because I know them and have seen them play.

When I need to rely on something but can't quantify it's value, that scares me a little.

I would suggest that we are probably just gonna bring in some street free agents, you will see some releases also, a few vets (Turner being the most obvious one) and Peach and perhaps Anderson but i do like Zach as i think he's a gamer but was coming off injury last year, would like to see him back rotating with Cummings. Think outside of Westerman, Anderson was our best DL by far. 

Cole/Green/Vaughn and others will compete for the DE spot opposite Westerman

Cummings and Shologan will be our DT. Anderson could very well be a backup rotational guy with Cummings. Thomas will be the guy who rotates with Shologan

LB's are set... The only real question mark for me is SAM... and that's gonna be 1 of Randle or Leggett more than likely

DB's

If Randle moves back there

Randle,Adams,Johnson,Bucknor is most likely 

Safety, I'd like to see Waggoner back there or Teague Sherman for that matter. and that gives up potentially 4 starting Canadians on the D. You could eliminate Bucknor and just go with an all american Defensive BAckfield.. might be the smartest thing to do.

On O

Willy.Nichols. Davis/Bennett/WIlliams or whatever his name is

Daniels,Neufeld,Goossen,Chungh,Bryant. Keeping. 

Dressler,Denmark,Smith,Adams (or Rookie), Kohlert 

Harris

That's potentially 9 Starting Canadians, I would suggest based on Walters comments, that's it's more likely we start the minimum 7 or possibly 8 Canadians maximum. 

So in reality, you could eliminate Bucknor and replace him with an american to get you down to 8 starting Canadians. I think the 8 other guys in bold, not including Bucknor are pretty much a lock to start... Waggoner probably isn't a lock but... i think it's probably best to start a CDN safety than a CB... and yeah i get that the CB doesn't really get that many looks his way but... i think the smarter thing to do is play an american where Bucknor plays. 

I also think it's possible we go 3 internationals on the OLINE. 

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

As with every off-season... we are vastly over-estimated our QB depth and our OL talent

Walters has addressed the bombers NI issues... this team finally looks deep at NI, that is huge.

Scouts have proven they can find DBs and LBs...  Osh just needs to prove he can move on from Peach, Hurl and Harris

Need a rookie to steal Adams job and maybe Denmark's

Trade our two second round picks for a first rounder - argos or stamps?

Draft Vaillancourt

I think were pretty tuned in with what we have at QB, a great QB *when healthy* backed up by one of the best and most capable back ups out there across the board.  I havent see anyone over estimate our Oline.  We have some solid guys ready to play but still very much need a couple starters and a bit more depth.

in years past while Willy's health... or the absolute importance to keep him up right at all cost,  wasnt as "state of emergency" until we got more then our share of Brohm and Marve playing which thank god was put to bed by Nichols.  Also last year signing Picard was a smoke and mirror show that got *most* of the masses excited but we soon learned that was a bad decision.  Perhaps the lack of picking up NI Oline in the FA pool shows some lesson learned on behalf of walters

The thing Im a little excited for is, LaPo just spent the year(s?) dissecting offenses with TSN.  It wouldnt be a stretch to think he paid plenty of attention to the what works and what doesnt with the bombers and now given a chance again will have direct access to fix the leaks and holes and will likely have a heavy influence on the recruits we find to fix it.  I cant see Osh suddenly touching the offense this year just like like he didnt with MB

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

I disagree on both points.....    This is the first year in a long time that we have a proven CFL qb as a back up.   As a matter of fact it's been since Jyles days that we actually have had 2 guys who have had some success in the CFL. The last many years this and the old site would ***** and complain about how we keep recycling junk and pray and hope that random guys like Marve will magically turn out fine.   

Matt Nicholls has shown way more then anything that Goltz, Brohm, Hamilton guy who kept fumbling whatever his name was and Marve....

The OL talent also the fans have been leery for years...  we've complained about the crappy american guys we brought in and how the depth has been super shallow and that the talent has been lacking for years.  

I think this year people should be optimistic because instead of bringing in garbage filler players... we've brought in 3 guys on offense who were or near all star level players... how can fans not be happy with that?

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

As I've said before, protection first   ratio second. Unless the Canadian OL really step up, they should consider 3 Americans on the OL. If that means Bucknor has to start in the secondary, they could go with a second Canadian receiver. 

I have no problems with a combo of Kolhert and J. Feoli-Gudino (hopefully Richards steps up). Now we have Harris who is basically another receiver anyway.

Really hoping D. Jones steps up and replaces Bucknor, which I have a hunch he might.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

As I've said before, protection first   ratio second. Unless the Canadian OL really step up, they should consider 3 Americans on the OL. If that means Bucknor has to start in the secondary, they could go with a second Canadian receiver. 

With only 4 Natl. O-linemen currently on the roster covering 3 positions is not even a realistic option.  It looks like this is going to be a position of weakness for another year as the possibility of acquiring anything close to a starter is minimal at this point exempting a miracle.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a retread from the recycle bin picked up along the way just to add to the warm body count.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne