Assuming were done with FA, whats left on the shopping list?

Taynted_Fayth

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

#1 We already have a top tier LT. Arguably one that is better than Bourke. I believe he is younger as well. So I don't understand how Bourke, who arguably isn't as good, would make our Oline better by replacing Bryant?

#2 How do you know it's not? There was Bourke out there in FA, who else would have dramatically changed this Oline? It's not even a given that Bourke would have done anything (his play wasn't steller last year)  Know what else helps out QB's under pressure? Slots who know how to read a blitz and get open. Something we were VERY VERY horrible at last year. Like maybe the worst I've ever seen. Guess what though? We went out and got one of the best. And followed that up by signing another who is showing great promise.

So to sum this up. Adding Olineman isn't the only way to help protect your QB. Adding over priced aged Olineman to replace younger cheaper and (arguably) more talented Olineman is a great way to ruin your offence.

Yes Bryant is younger but he is also an import and besides, I wasn't overly impressed with him last year. He could have been moved to the RT spot or traded for another O-lineman, preferably another national.

I know some here didn't like Watman but would he have been any worse that what we have now? I was glad to see we at least did grab Jeff Keeping but he's not going to be enough. 

Very true what you say regarding the slots and same with Harris. I'm hoping for a lot of improvement in those areas with Lapo's new-and-improved schemes. I just can't shake the notion that we are going to regret not upgrading this Oline.

Hate to say it, but its pretty typical forum chatter...  we didn't sign Bourke so now Bourke sucks.  Happens every year.

Bryant-Daniels-Goossen-Chungh-Bourke would have been HUGE.

I am sure Walter made a very serious pitch for Bourke...  probably wanted to stay in the east.

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hate to say it, but its pretty typical forum chatter...  we didn't sign Bourke so now Bourke sucks.  Happens every year.

I am sure Walter made a very serious pitch for Bourke...  probably wanted to stay in the east.

Yep I get that, Floyd, which is why I said I hope we didn't lose out on him over a few thousand dollars because if we could have enticed him to come here for some do-re-mi we should have. Would have given us options.

24 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm not saying he sucks. I'm just not convinced he would be an upgrade over what we have now. As such, the price tag just doesn't make sense to me. 

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Not true in the least. Two years ago when Bourke made it to free agency, granted he lasted all of an hour or two before he re-signed in Montreal lots of people on this forum were disappointed. Your spin doctoring doesn't mean his play hasn't declined - Which it certainly has.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Except, as has been mentioned a bunch of times Bourke is a LEFT tackle, so you have no way whatsoever in knowing that he would have had success moving to the other end of the line, and still, with that uncertainty you thinks it's ok to pay the sort of bucks he would have commanded.  You know, there's a reason that some people do the GM thing for a living and we don't.  This is is an example of why.

Can we just get off this notion that we should have acquired Bourke as an answer to the o-Line woes. It makes no sense. No upgrade if we have to move Bryant out...even if we could. And the cost? Think no Harris, as a consequence of the price paid. Bourke is not the be-all, end-all cure for us.

Walters has to look elsewhere to upgrade the depth and the talent level of the line. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

If only he's had in game experience for multiple years with some level of success.

FYI I'm not a huge Lapo fan boy, but he's demonstrated very well that he can make adjustments in game in the past. So I'm not sure why people keep bringing this up.

Not adjustments that worked but yes. Any way you cut it we will have to wait and see how he run the off come the regular season. I dont think any one will say hes worse then MB, but he sure hasnt shown to be a top tier OC in the past. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. At worst our offense should be a lot better then last year.

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Except, as has been mentioned a bunch of times Bourke is a LEFT tackle, so you have no way whatsoever in knowing that he would have had success moving to the other end of the line, and still, with that uncertainty you thinks it's ok to pay the sort of bucks he would have commanded.  You know, there's a reason that some people do the GM thing for a living and we don't.  This is is an example of why.

Thinking that one of the CFL's top tackles cannot switch from left to right is a very good example of why fans should not be GMs.

Stanley Bryant was a right tackle for about half his CFL career...  like its easier to move from left to right than the other way around...

Just now, Floyd said:

Thinking that one of the CFL's top tackles cannot switch from left to right is a very good example of why fans should not be GMs.

Stanley Bryant was a right tackle for about half his CFL career...  like its easier to move from left to right than the other way around...

Reading is hard...  I never said that Bourke couldn't switch.  Of course he can.  Would he be as effective?  I don't know, and neither do you.  So you're suggesting that the Bombers should spend a boat load of money on a crap shoot move?  Probably not the smartest GM move.

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Reading is hard...  I never said that Bourke couldn't switch.  Of course he can.  Would he be as effective?  I don't know, and neither do you.  So you're suggesting that the Bombers should spend a boat load of money on a crap shoot move?  Probably not the smartest GM move.

Ayup.  :)

Edited by J5V

33 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Reading is hard.  I said that Bryant had played right tackle for half his career... so even if Bourke can't switch, Bryant can.

But, there's no real doubt that Bourke can play RT after years at LT.

Anyway, not happening... time to move on.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

The first time LaPo was in Winnipeg I thought he had one great season and the rest of the time the team was 2nd last in offense?  I could be totally wrong but I thought someone else posted stats that showed this?

Lapo also didn't have Andrew Harris and Drew Willy to work with.  He had Alex Brink and Brock Ralph.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Reading is hard.  I said that Bryant had played right tackle for half his career... so even if Bourke can't switch, Bryant can.

But, there's no real doubt that Bourke can play RT after years at LT.

Anyway, not happening... time to move on.

I'm hoping like heck that Walters can do something to build this OL into a powerhouse through a trade(s). Problem is, who has an embarrassment of riches on the OL that we could swing a deal with? 

The other option is that our scouts can find an import gem or two for our OL. Hasn't happened yet but maybe we can get lucky.

Building an All Canadian OL thru the draft, trades or free agency just takes too long. We need our scouting dept to find a couple of good players to start on the line to make us better. McManus has to do a better job of finding these players.  

Edited by iso_55

any good OL prospects in the draft this year?  I realize we don't have a first-rounder this year so we may miss out on a few good ones but...

on a side note just wanted to also state a pet peeve:

I hate to hear some people complaining about how we "lost" our first pick this year.  We didn't lose it, we got a bonafide Canadian starter in Waggoner and we got him a year ahead of time so he's got a whole year of CFL experience now which is huge.  Kind of like buying your furniture at Leons and using it for a whole year before you even have to pay for it.

/rant

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

any good OL prospects in the draft this year?  I realize we don't have a first-rounder this year so we may miss out on a few good ones but...

on a side note just wanted to also state a pet peeve:

I hate to hear some people complaining about how we "lost" our first pick this year.  We didn't lose it, we got a bonafide Canadian starter in Waggoner and we got him a year ahead of time so he's got a whole year of CFL experience now which is huge.  Kind of like buying your furniture at Leons and using it for a whole year before you even have to pay for it.

/rant

Depends who the second pick is & how much of an impact he'll make with his team. No one knows how well Waggoner will do or if he ever starts. On the flip side no guarantee the second pick will ever start either for his team. We'll have a better idea a year from now. My feeling is Walters never makes that supplemental draft pick if he knew the Bombers would have had the second pick in this year's draft.

You go into the season expecting to do well. You can't plan on getting a high draft pick. That's a fail. If you do your homework, you should have a pretty good idea of what the 2016 draft class should look like, barring unforeseen circumstances. So when you're presented with the opportunity to pre-select a quality player..you do it, or not be pro-active, save your pick, and take your chances. Who's to say is the better way?