Assuming were done with FA, whats left on the shopping list?

Taynted_Fayth

Picard was a terrible signing by Walters, arguably his worst yet. He was a huge waste of money and a major liability every game he played. Bourke was the FA Walters should have signed at all costs and I seriously hope we didn't lose out on him over just a few thousand dollars. Toronto obviously have a higher priority on protecting Ricky Ray that we do on protecting Drew Willy and I just don't get that. Toronto considers paying Bourke money well spent.

The OL FA cupboard is now bare and we are left with Chungh, Daniels, Bryant, Goosen and Neufeld who all did their share of whiffing on their blocks last season. After watching Willy get the crap beat out of him the last two years I just don't get the apparent lack of concern by Walters with the personnel on our OL. If the answer is simply getting rid of Bellefeuille and his schemes then it should have been done long ago.  Lapo's schemes may help but it isn't going to be enough. Drew Willy is our best player and we all know our fortunes depend on him staying healthy. Please god, for Willy's sake and ours, please send us some OL help. Mr. and Mrs. Willy will thank you too. :rolleyes:

to those excited about Paul La Police dissecting Offences on tsn...

what do they think that Offensive coordinators do? Main difference being that instead of spending a day or two on it,  for a full week of games (TSN) they spend 6 days for one game, probably  many hours each day.

I recall that La Police worked crazy hours when he was head coach here.

Edited by Mark F

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I just remember when Lapo used to run up the gut on 2nd and 6... and when our short yardage offense was horrendous.

But he says he's changed, so we took him back.

O'Shea, Hall, and Lapo. This is going to be interesting. :)

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

All I remember is that many times on 2nd and long he would go for a three yard play and hope that blocking would carry them to the first down.

Isn't that why Joey Elliott got pissed because they never pushed the ball.

If he is hoping that blocking will carry us to a first down on 2nd and long we are going to have a lot of 2-and-outs.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

what do they think that Offensive coordinators do? Main difference being that instead of spending a day or two on it,  for a full week of games (TSN) they spend 6 days for one game, probably  many hours each day.

Im hoping some time away from the gruelling schedule of breaking down film and game planning might have done LaPo some good.  TSN helped keep him in touch with the current events IE: new rules, rosters...ect  and Im excited to see someone thats not MB after the last few years.  When we hired Lapo i was pretty meh about it. I remember his offense too especially the 2nd and 8's and getting 3 yards..., but im going to give benefit of the doubt he's revamped and refreshed 

All I remember is that many times on 2nd and long he would go for a three yard play and hope that blocking would carry them to the first down.

Isn't that why Joey Elliott got pissed because they never pushed the ball.

Bad example. Elliott would have thrown long on every play if given Carte blanche to do so. In fact his penchant for going off script and doing it anyway resulting in 5 interception games ended his career.

17 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Bad example. Elliott would have thrown long on every play if given Carte blanche to do so. In fact his penchant for going off script and doing it anyway resulting in 5 interception games ended his career.

All I remember was that he was the only guy who could move the ball for the club..  those screen passes that we kept trying to do were useless and seemingly had an extremely low rate of success.

Now that fa is waning...next up,and early next week, is the release of the 16'schedule...I hope we get a break this year and we get a better allocation of bye weeks..The last two years have not been kind in that respect and we deserve a better deal as far as short turnaround weeks...Someone mentioned that we had the most of any club last year as far as games being scheduled with 4 day breaks...May seem trivial to some but it can have a great bearing on the season and success...Get it right schedule makers. Looking forward to next week.

All I remember was that he was the only guy who could move the ball for the club..  those screen passes that we kept trying to do were useless and seemingly had an extremely low rate of success.

Yet chucking the ball when we were 2nd and long and the defenses sat back waiting for the long ball and the chance for interception goes way up.

It sucked but rather hope the receiver makes the catch and can make the play. Just the way the D were positioned. Front heavy with backfield deep, it was the safer play, execution just wasn't there.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Now that fa is waning...next up,and early next week, is the release of the 16'schedule...I hope we get a break this year and we get a better allocation of bye weeks..The last two years have not been kind in that respect and we deserve a better deal as far as short turnaround weeks...Someone mentioned that we had the most of any club last year as far as games being scheduled with 4 day breaks...May seem trivial to some but it can have a great bearing on the season and success...Get it right schedule makers. Looking forward to next week.

With the Argos now not at the mercy of the Rogers scum the season planning and schedule should be a lot friendlier to all the teams. Should be.

7 hours ago, Mark F said:

Yeah, not to mention looking at some one elses work and finding holes is easy. Putting together a system, making calls, and adjustments is the biggest challenge of an OC. Oc is the biggest question mark for me. We have a ton of weapons and a qb who can get it to them. But will we see more of the poor offense weve seen previously under plop? The only question nearly as large is the OL. But I think we have some good pieces and the NIs to create flexibility in who we play on the OL.

18 hours ago, J5V said:

Picard was a terrible signing by Walters, arguably his worst yet. He was a huge waste of money and a major liability every game he played. #1 Bourke was the FA Walters should have signed at all costs and I seriously hope we didn't lose out on him over just a few thousand dollars. Toronto obviously have a higher priority on protecting Ricky Ray that we do on protecting Drew Willy and I just don't get that. Toronto considers paying Bourke money well spent.

The OL FA cupboard is now bare and we are left with Chungh, Daniels, Bryant, Goosen and Neufeld who all did their share of whiffing on their blocks last season. #2 After watching Willy get the crap beat out of him the last two years I just don't get the apparent lack of concern by Walters with the personnel on our OL. If the answer is simply getting rid of Bellefeuille and his schemes then it should have been done long ago.  Lapo's schemes may help but it isn't going to be enough. Drew Willy is our best player and we all know our fortunes depend on him staying healthy. Please god, for Willy's sake and ours, please send us some OL help. Mr. and Mrs. Willy will thank you too. :rolleyes:

#1 We already have a top tier LT. Arguably one that is better than Bourke. I believe he is younger as well. So I don't understand how Bourke, who arguably isn't as good, would make our Oline better by replacing Bryant?

#2 How do you know it's not? There was Bourke out there in FA, who else would have dramatically changed this Oline? It's not even a given that Bourke would have done anything (his play wasn't steller last year)  Know what else helps out QB's under pressure? Slots who know how to read a blitz and get open. Something we were VERY VERY horrible at last year. Like maybe the worst I've ever seen. Guess what though? We went out and got one of the best. And followed that up by signing another who is showing great promise.

So to sum this up. Adding Olineman isn't the only way to help protect your QB. Adding over priced aged Olineman to replace younger cheaper and (arguably) more talented Olineman is a great way to ruin your offence.

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

LaPo was great at breaking down and analyzing plays after the fact on TSN. The bigger concern now is his ability to work with a 20 second play clock when the bullets are flying in a game. 

If only he's had in game experience for multiple years with some level of success.

FYI I'm not a huge Lapo fan boy, but he's demonstrated very well that he can make adjustments in game in the past. So I'm not sure why people keep bringing this up.

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

His last stint here he was also HC which brings with it a whole bunch of other responsibilities during and in between the game.

The last time he was OC, his team made it to the Grey Cup and he ran the 2nd best offence in the league by points per game.

he also made it to the GC with breakable buck pierce.  I dont think hes a offensive genius but hes no MB which already puts us way ahead of where we were last year

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

His last stint here he was also HC which brings with it a whole bunch of other responsibilities during and in between the game.

The last time he was OC, his team made it to the Grey Cup and he ran the 2nd best offence in the league by points per game.

He also had Ken Miller telling him to sack up and call a play from a different part of the chart from time to time.  I don't know if O'Shea will have any influence on the offence or if they are planning to fully turn it over to Lapolice.  I think Lapolice as a play caller needs someone to give him a kick in the pants towards trusting his players and being a little more aggressive from time to time.  Otherwise he calls an offence that is not very diverse and struggles to adjust in game.