Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Goalie ive often wondered how effective some of the depth position coaches are. I havent see a lot of RB coaches make a big impact in the cfl.

They teach fundamentals and run drills. Good ones keep the guys motivated and promote pride in the unit. Kyle Walters started here as rb coach. Richard Harris was a positional coach for most of the time he was here too.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

3 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

They teach fundamentals and run drills. Good ones keep the guys motivated and promote pride in the unit. Kyle Walters started here as rb coach. Richard Harris was a positional coach for most of the time he was here too.

Most of the guys in the cfl especially from the states have had high level coaching since they were 8. Theres some adaptation to the cfl game, but i dont see it being a constant thing out side of camp. Maybe im wrong.  Motivating pro athletes is a tough thing. Many many coaches have talked about how you can motivate alot of college guys but after that step to he pros its a lot less influential. Harris was a position coach his entire time here. He got a lot of credit and seemed like a great football mind and person. But he was one in a million. Personally it doesnt seem like a lot of positional coaches in the cfl have been highly impact full. Our OL coach for one, bob wylie. a lot of hype, a lot of camps and stuff. Yet despite better pieces then we had when he came back we havent seen any big improvements.  

5 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

No he didn't.

Couple of Bomber notables from the Riders mini-camp in Florida.

WR JORDAN REAVES ON HIS SWITCH TO DB

JR: Oh I'm having fun. I'm having a lot of fun. Sunday was moreso learning the concepts and today was moreso learning them. When I learn a concept one time, it sticks to me. I'm a quick learner and a good learner. I've never been on the defensive side of the field before so it's definitely a change but I like change. But it's fun. When Coach Jones first told me to go to safety I was a little apprehensive about it but it's fun. I've been smiling the whole time, especially when I understood the concepts and saw it working.

RB CHEVON WALKER

CW: I feel good just coming out here and picking up the offense and where I left off. It's kind of the same offense we had in Ottawa with Jason Maas so it's second nature to me. I'm just trying to do the things they said I wasn't doing in the past. I'm just playing ball and it's good to be out here with the guys.

Honestly I can't even tell you what happened in Ottawa. They said I wasn't doing a couple of things they asked me to do and that's where it's at. But that chapter is closed and I'm trying to open a new chapter. I'm just thankful to be out here with these guys and I'm just happy Coach Jones extended the opportunity for me to be out here. I'm trying to do my best and leave it in the coaches' hands.

33 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Further to the Riders, and their recent 3 day mini-camp, here's a summary of all the things that happened in the camp that Bomber fans should find interesting and were noteworthy:

this is exactly what I keep thinking when that ticker keeps scrolling thru rider mini-camp messages.   Like I give two squirts of piss if Jones thanked some rider media leech for being at the camp. 

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

That's crazy. He could come back to the CFL & play for a decade as a starter. Makes no sense.

I have no idea of this played into his decision but I would think a lot of football players have been forced into some soul searching if they've seen the Concussion movie.

Make 200k per in the CFL for the next 10 years and put the rest of your life at risk or prolong your quality of life while you still can.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Further to the Riders, and their recent 3 day mini-camp, here's a summary of all the things that happened in the camp that Bomber fans should find interesting and were noteworthy:

That might appear good to some but when you read between the lines it doesn't paint a pretty picture at all!

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Apparently his family has a huge farm, so it's not like he's giving up his football career to make milk money, he'll be well compensated.

If that's the case, 200k for the next 10 years will be peanuts compared to making 100k for the next 40 years...

19 hours ago, Rich said:

I have no idea of this played into his decision but I would think a lot of football players have been forced into some soul searching if they've seen the Concussion movie.

Make 200k per in the CFL for the next 10 years and put the rest of your life at risk or prolong your quality of life while you still can.

I think its become a none decision for a lot of luke warm guys. The main stay of guys live and breathe football, and or dream of the nfl would chase that dream through the business end of a mack truck for a chance. 

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎12 at 1:36 PM, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Kyle Walters: rb and special teams 2010-12

Richard Harris: 2006-2010  DL coach.      Asst head coach and DL in 2011.

He was never a RB coach. Not sure where you have gotten that information, but the BB official website, along with his bios at several other CFL sites including CFL.ca list him as STC for those years. Further to that, all his prior coaching history was on the defensive side of the ball and STs. Therefore, if you cannot admit your mistake please provide a link to a source confirming that he was RB coach.

19 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

He was never a RB coach. Not sure where you have gotten that information, but the BB official website, along with his bios at several other CFL sites including CFL.ca list him as STC for those years. Further to that, all his prior coaching history was on the defensive side of the ball and STs. Therefore, if you cannot admit your mistake please provide a link to a source confirming that he was RB coach.

He filled both the RB coaching spot and the ST coordinator spot for us in those years. Not sure why you'd choose to be condescending as opposed to performing a simple Google search.

*patiently waiting for you to admit your mistake*

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

He filled both the RB coaching spot and the ST coordinator spot for us in those years. Not sure why you'd choose to be condescending as opposed to performing a simple Google search.

*patiently waiting for you to admit your mistake*

No mistake at all Mike. The reference to him being a RB coach was one perpetuated by a paper at his alma mater. I attended practices through all those years, and I can tell you sure as **** he was NOT the RB coach. I will believe what I saw with my own eyes thank you very much...not what's printed by 3rd year journalism students a thousand miles away. Perhaps you should look at the Bombers official press release on his hiring as well.

The Gryphon (Guelph's college newspaper) floated a rumor before he was hired that he would be joining the Bombers as STC/RB coach....a mistake they never bothered to correct after he was hired as STC only.

However, if you have a link to any official Bomber source indicating he was RB coach, please share and I will gladly retract.

Edited by gcn11