A decade from now ...

IC Khari

Will Winnipeg be a city with a nice stadium and no CFL team? If (and I would have said it was a big if a few years ago but not so sure now) the team continues it's pattern of not being able to get the right people in place to guide it, and if it continues to flounder, and it still hasn't produced a winner (is it possible we still won't have a Grey Cup winner by then?), could it still even afford to operate? I know people are going to say the politicians won't let the team go under, not so sure. Right now there's a whole generation that knows nothing of a winning team here and it effects the gate, but by then? IMO, getting the team fixed systemically, is more important than we may realize. The league is not actually that strong right now, 10 years from now I hope the Bombers have things righted. 

Will Winnipeg be a city with a nice stadium and no CFL team? If (and I would have said it was a big if a few years ago but not so sure now) the team continues it's pattern of not being able to get the right people in place to guide it, and if it continues to flounder, and it still hasn't produced a winner (is it possible we still won't have a Grey Cup winner by then?), could it still even afford to operate? I know people are going to say the politicians won't let the team go under, not so sure. Right now there's a whole generation that knows nothing of a winning team here and it effects the gate, but by then? IMO, getting the team fixed systemically, is more important than we may realize. The league is not actually that strong right now, 10 years from now I hope the Bombers have things righted. 

"Knows nothing of a winning team"....except for those winning teams we've had. Just no grey cup. But people here of all ages know what a positive W/L record looks like.

I am skeptical they can improve significantly enough to draw fans back next year never mind ten years down the road. Next year is crucial. I believe they are already going to drop a few thousand STH and staying the course with the HC, GM, and CEO that have already shown themselves to be not very good at building a winner could really pose some massive issues next season. Sadly, I think next year is make it or break it.

Something is rotten in the franchise and I doubt the current regime (right up to the BOD) knows it. It may be an issue with the CEO, GM, or coaches or it may be something higher up at the BOD level. Until that is rooted out this current regime and the next will continue to flounder. There is SOMETHING that is preventing us from fixing this team (and has been preventing it for this 25+ year rebuild).

I think we in same situation as Ottawa, years of a badly run football franchise and in comes the NHL to put the nail in the coffin.

I hope not, but not winning a championship in a generation (despite some of the good teams and close calls we've had) smacks too much of the Toronto Maple Leaf fan's plight. Can current and young upcoming Bomber fans endure the hope with no results like Leaf fans have? Like Ottawa fans did? If they can't I think there is a real possibility this franchise could be in trouble in the next five years. This is not the NFL, NHL, MLB where fans are content to get in the playoffs. It's a 9 team league and if Ottawa of all teams manages to win the Cup this year (year 2 of existence!) while the Bombers continue to give the impression to fans of the umpteenth rebuild I can see problems with fan support. That trend can only last so long before fan support dies off and the gate suffers.

Wpg. has hordes of football fans in waiting that will swarm back to IGF once they field a competitive team, a GC victory would be nice but it isn't critical to the survival of the franchise.  Fans just want to enjoy the experience and winning is the key to that enjoyment.  Not worried about their demise in the least.

"Knows nothing of a winning team"....except for those winning teams we've had. Just no grey cup. But people here of all ages know what a positive W/L record looks like.

Leaf fans know of several winning seasons but I'm sure most would trade those for a Championship or two in the last nearly 50 years. I guess it's a perception thing ...

Wpg. has hordes of football fans in waiting that will swarm back to IGF once they field a competitive team, a GC victory would be nice but it isn't critical to the survival of the franchise.  Fans just want to enjoy the experience and winning is the key to that enjoyment.  Not worried about their demise in the least.

Hey, I hope you're right ... The future is now for this franchise and the next couple of years are important.

I don't see how any of the under 25 set are still Bomber fans. They've never seen a GC win. We've only been 1st twice since 1995 and out of the playoffs 11 times. That's a completely lost generation of Winnipeg football fans. Take a good close look at who's in the stands. On TV it looks like mostly 55+ with a lot of 70+ folks who are still there because they've always gone to games. A few more bad years and selling season tickets will be like pulling teeth. I suspect it's already there now.

The challenge for any and all aspects of the sports and entertainment business is competition for people's disposable income. People want perceived value for their entertainment dollars. There will always be a core of dedicated football fans but the other segment of the market. will deteriorate as people see other entertainment options when they deem better entertainment.

I don't see how any of the under 25 set are still Bomber fans. They've never seen a GC win. We've only been 1st twice since 1995 and out of the playoffs 11 times. That's a completely lost generation of Winnipeg football fans. Take a good close look at who's in the stands. On TV it looks like mostly 55+ with a lot of 70+ folks who are still there because they've always gone to games. A few more bad years and selling season tickets will be like pulling teeth. I suspect it's already there now.

Yes and then one winning season and everyone will come back. That's the way it's gone in the past and will go in the future. I don't get the "sky is falling" theory that everyone is putting forward. Like every team every where hasn't gone on loosing streaks that see fans finding other means of entertainment  only to come back as soon as said team is winning. It literally happens everywhere....all the time.

You know what, I don't think it's are serious as all that. Yeah they didn't win a championship, but Milt Stegall (and the rest of the great players around when he was) made a lot of football fans in Winnipeg. Those are people in my age bracket (or just a bit below) who became fans watching one of the best players ever and they're in that age now where they are having families which likely passes the tradition of being a fan down. Sure there's probably not a lot of under 25s but really in the grand scheme of things that's not too big a deal. The thing gets turned around they'll jump on the band wagon too. 

You know what, I don't think it's are serious as all that. Yeah they didn't win a championship, but Milt Stegall (and the rest of the great players around when he was) made a lot of football fans in Winnipeg. Those are people in my age bracket (or just a bit below) who became fans watching one of the best players ever and they're in that age now where they are having families which likely passes the tradition of being a fan down. Sure there's probably not a lot of under 25s but really in the grand scheme of things that's not too big a deal. The thing gets turned around they'll jump on the band wagon too. 

I hope Wade Miller and the Bomber directors aren't subscribing to this theory, but are instead busting their butts everyday to make this franchise as respectable on the field once again as it is in the hearts of us older fans who actually remember a time we could be proud of the on field product ...

I hope Wade Miller and the Bomber directors aren't subscribing to this theory, but are instead busting their butts everyday to make this franchise as respectable on the field once again as it is in the hearts of us older fans who actually remember a time we could be proud of the on field product ...

Seeing that the directors have nothing to do with the on-field product, I wouldn't be holding my breath on that.

The fans of the Montreal Canadians demand that whoever is managing that team puts a competitive team on the ice each and every year. They won't accept less and if you think our team has fans that complain too much, well, you have to admire their competitive spirit. Their fans reach far and wide and the team rarely if ever misses the playoffs.

Seeing that the directors have nothing to do with the on-field product, I wouldn't be holding my breath on that.

Semantics, but really the hires do ultimately go through them as well so in essence ultimately, on field product results from choices they make. Joe Mack for example, was a choice made by them. I won't argue one way or another about the result of that decision ...

The fans of the Montreal Canadians demand that whoever is managing that team puts a competitive team on the ice each and every year. They won't accept less and if you think our team has fans that complain too much, well, you have to admire their competitive spirit. Their fans reach far and wide and the team rarely if ever misses the playoffs.

The Montreal Canadiens were a lottery team just a few seasons ago... They are fortunate that they were able to draft Carey Price (who was a 5th overall pick let us not forget) who turned into one of the best goaltenders in the world. They haven't been a juggernaut team the whole way through, they've been up and down like most teams have. The fans can ***** and moan all they like it really doesn't accomplish much. Toronto Maple Leaf fans are demanding too and their media is ruthless, hasn't helped them become a decent team at all. The teams that do well are the teams that don't make reactionary moves at the first sign of trouble. 

No, I think burgess is blind. Every game ive been to has a ton of 20-25 year olds at them.. They are a well represented demographic. Younger adults as well, male and female. Not sure where burg gets his idea from. Maybe the younger ones are up in the deck due to cheapness..

I also want to point out that on game day, all I see are bomber jerseys and flags. At work. At the mall and big box stores.. There is no doubt in my mind that this team will not be leaving in 10,20 or 30 years.

Lastly, I mentioned it in a different thread but fans of the jets and bombers suffer from anxiety and panic proneness. Its never as bad as the vocal minority seem to make it out to be. (Yes I realize its not sunshine and rainbows like others also try to convey) its very much inbetween somewhere the 2 rabid groups of fans.

No, I think burgess is blind. Every game ive been to has a ton of 20-25 year olds at them.. They are a well represented demographic. Younger adults as well, male and female. Not sure where burg gets his idea from. Maybe the younger ones are up in the deck due to cheapness..

I also want to point out that on game day, all I see are bomber jerseys and flags. At work. At the mall and big box stores.. There is no doubt in my mind that this team will not be leaving in 10,20 or 30 years.

Lastly, I mentioned it in a different thread but fans of the jets and bombers suffer from anxiety and panic proneness. Its never as bad as the vocal minority seem to make it out to be. (Yes I realize its not sunshine and rainbows like others also try to convey) its very much inbetween somewhere the 2 rabid groups of fans.

All I can see is the faces on TV and most of them look pretty damn old. Maybe the youngsters are at the rum hut or in the cheap seats so the TV cameras don't show them as much.