Bellefeuille OUT.....

trueBlue83

J5V, I think people on this board would consider someone like Dave Dickenson, Tommy Condell, Marcus Brady & Jason Maas quality coaches. Some may consider Jacques Chapdelaine, George Cortez & Paul LaPolice quality coaches...

Would you agree that we are more than an OC away from having what it takes to make the playoffs or would landing a Chapdelaine be enough?

Chaps has a very complex offense. It's not a qb friendly offense as Jacques never played the position so he doesn't look at things the way a qb would as far as reads & progressions go. But he's had success. The thing of it is, it's a throw first offense & we saw this year with Messam that even if the run game was working, he'd go awy from it. Some fans like Jacques & some don't. He's much better OC than MB was. However, he lost 2 qbs running that offense & that was a major complaint about MB so that's something to consider when discussing Chapdelaine. 

Interesting. So he's an upgrade to MB but would he be enough to get this team into the playoffs, or do we need to go deeper into the coaching staff?

One thing I know about Jacques. If hired, he'll want to coach qbs even though he never played the position. 

One thing I know about Jacques. If hired, he'll want to coach qbs even though he never played the position. 

I don't believe Doug Berry ever played anything and he turned out to be a good positional coach... Here's the thing, playing a position certainly helps but it is not an absolute requirement for understanding fundamentals and how to coach. Coaching is really just teaching and some people can teach even if they aren't themselves experts in the field. 

I don't believe Doug Berry ever played anything and he turned out to be a good positional coach... Here's the thing, playing a position certainly helps but it is not an absolute requirement for understanding fundamentals and how to coach. Coaching is really just teaching and some people can teach even if they aren't themselves experts in the field. 

And further to that, just because someone has played a position and was good at doing it doesn't automatically mean that they can transition into becoming a successful coach.  Two very different skill sets are required and that's why I always chuckle when someone says "We should get <insert retired player's name here>.  He'd be a great coach."  Ya, maybe but then again, maybe not.

I've always thought it'd be the smartest idea to have a former qb be an offensive coordinator for any teams offense...makes sense?

Only if he is a leader that the players will look up to and follow, and is a communicator and teacher.  I'm sure Buck, Glenn, Allen, Flutie etc. have the knowledge to be an OC, but if you can't communicate what you want done, and be able to change it mid game if necessary you won't be successful.

I've always thought it'd be the smartest idea to have a former qb be an offensive coordinator for any teams offense...makes sense?

Only if he is a leader that the players will look up to and follow, and is a communicator and teacher.  I'm sure Buck, Glenn, Allen, Flutie etc. have the knowledge to be an OC, but if you can't communicate what you want done, and be able to change it mid game if necessary you won't be successful.

So by all of this, Khari should be the greatest OC of all time......? *waits for Dave response*

So by all of this, Khari should be the greatest OC of all time......? *waits for Dave response*

Just one of the many reasons I'd want Khari as OC. 

But there is some merit to having qbs as offensive coordinators. Lots of ex qbs running offenses or ex qbs as head coaches who have done well in the CFL. Austin, Hufnagel, Dickenson, Milanovich, Maas just right off the top of my head, I am sure the list is much more extensive than that. 

I've noticed it doesn't matter what some folks post, the same old crowd always finds it worthy of disdain. In those cases, the ignore feature is marvelous as it filters out the noise.

....?

Was this misplaced or jus an odd rant as I dont see anyone pouring distain over peoples choices.. If anything, I see people adding counterpoints to why they are good or bad in their opinion.. You know, as in having a discussion?

It was a comment about the ignore feature on this board.

I don't know what distain is but is "pouring distain" like au jus?   :)

J5V, I think people on this board would consider someone like Dave Dickenson, Tommy Condell, Marcus Brady & Jason Maas quality coaches. Some may consider Jacques Chapdelaine, George Cortez & Paul LaPolice quality coaches...

Would you agree that we are more than an OC away from having what it takes to make the playoffs or would landing a Chapdelaine be enough?

Chaps has a very complex offense. It's not a qb friendly offense as Jacques never played the position so he doesn't look at things the way a qb would as far as reads & progressions go. But he's had success. The thing of it is, it's a throw first offense & we saw this year with Messam that even if the run game was working, he'd go awy from it. Some fans like Jacques & some don't. He's much better OC than MB was. However, he lost 2 qbs running that offense & that was a major complaint about MB so that's something to consider when discussing Chapdelaine. 

Interesting. So he's an upgrade to MB but would he be enough to get this team into the playoffs, or do we need to go deeper into the coaching staff?

I think there's a lot to be said for having played the position. So much so that if it came down to two OCs and I had to pick one, I'd probably pick the former QB. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I agree. There are subtleties that only a former player (QB) would know and understand.

Yup, good points, and let's not forget that the player needs to be a good student.

Yup, good points, and let's not forget that the player needs to be a good student.

That could be why he couldn't make the changes during a game as he never played qb. 

Chappy would be ok but not my first choice. Ignores the run game too much. I don't like that and see that as a reason Harris may turn us down and I'd like to see Harris as our rb.

Now you've done it. Chapdelaine is assured to be here, and you will have no one to blame but yourself.

If I had that power, Reinbold would have been the coach and GM of the Riders since 1999 and Mike Kelly would be running the Stamps, while Jim Daley ran the Eskimos.

Chappy would be ok but not my first choice. Ignores the run game too much. I don't like that and see that as a reason Harris may turn us down and I'd like to see Harris as our rb.

Now you've done it. Chapdelaine is assured to be here, and you will have no one to blame but yourself.

If I had that power, Reinbold would have been the coach and GM of the Riders since 1999 and Mike Kelly would be running the Stamps, while Jim Daley ran the Eskimos.

and Joe Mack running the ALS

This obviously works on the same principle as talking out loud about your goalie getting a shut-out. It doesn't work on other teams, just on your own. And you will still be to blame.

To be fair, harris doesn't care how he gets the ball...hand off/pass....he only starts complaining when he doesn't get it. And he's a solid reciever out of the back field.

and Joe Mack running the ALS

Ha ha ha ha ... now that's funny.