Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

some of my observations

1) There sure are a lot of "grey cup people" wandering around downtown, most dressed head to toe in colours of a team that isn't playing. I can't see myself flying across the country to watch a grey cup the bombers aren't in and going to a bunch of events in bomber colours but maybe I'm no fun

2) saw a bunch of redblacks waiting in line for a table at BP. I would have thought professional athletes eat better than that but apparently not.

There are a bunch of people that go to Grey Cups every year. It's like a social club for them. They've made friends over the years &  the GC is when they all get together. A lot of older fans from websites now gone dating back to the late 90's like Total CFL. Some of these fans also travel to games all over the country during the season as well. I wish I had their bucks... 

If I had the money, I'd absolutely do this every year. An amazing time. Love talking with CFL fans and seeing all the cool jerseys. There's been some cool stuff!!

I know people who go to the GC every year. Take holidays & go. People  who go to the Grey Cup every year are similar to Brier fans who also go every year. They make friends & it's a real social event. They love the atmosphere of each event. Been to 2 Grey Cups & to the Brier in 1997. It was fun. 

Only in Winnipeg could there be a negative spin on the game selling out.

Barely managing to sell out with only 3,000 seats more than permanent capacity, plus having to subtract 5,000 seats from the original expansion plan and Nissan having to buy 2,000 seats, is nothing to be proud of.

BC didn't sell out last year, but at least there were over 50,000 people in attendance, with just under 48,000 paid.

Barely managing to sell out with only 3,000 seats more than permanent capacity, plus having to subtract 5,000 seats from the original expansion plan and Nissan having to buy 2,000 seats, is nothing to be proud of.

BC didn't sell out last year, but at least there were over 50,000 people in attendance, with just under 48,000 paid.

Blah Blah Blah

What's your life like?   I just cant imagine being so negative all the time.  It must be hard on you and your family.  

Be a long time before the Grey Cup is played here again.

I hope so, it's got to be a bit embarrassing for the League.

Blah Blah Blah

What's your life like?   I just cant imagine being so negative all the time.  It must be hard on you and your family.  

I'm a pretty positive person in general, not my fault that Winnipeg can only get 36,000 people to attend a Grey Cup. My family and I are doing happily well, thanks for asking.

I guess one could say .. only 50k in attendance in one of the most desirable locations in Canada at this time of year .. only 50k when they are drawing from almost 2.5 million people a population that's 4x that of Winnipeg .. but one wouldn't do that because there are infinitely better / more important things to ***** about.

Winnipeg sold out its Grey Cup. By all accounts the festival and events have been a success and positively received. We're going to have decent weather for what should be a great game .. in front of a packed house.

Are we. going to ***** about HOW we got there or simply enjoy the spectacle? I know what one I'll be doing.

I guess one could say .. only 50k in attendance in one of the most desirable locations in Canada at this time of year .. only 50k when they are drawing from almost 2.5 million people a population that's 4x that of Winnipeg .. but one wouldn't do that because there are infinitely better / more important things to ***** about.

Winnipeg sold out its Grey Cup. By all accounts the festival and events have been a success and positively received. We're going to have decent weather for what should be a great game .. in front of a packed house.

Are we. going to ***** about HOW we got there or simply enjoy the spectacle? I know what one I'll be doing.

Closer to 3 times, 3.4 actually. Also bear in mind BC just came off from having the Grey Cup in 2011, Winnipeg last held one in 2006.

The tickets were too pricey. They made the mistake of hosting the game before they had a decent team. However, they were blessed in the end by getting two teams who have rabid and hungry fans. So it all worked out in the end. It is too bad that they had to scale back the seating plans but in the end they will make good coin and that is good for this club.

"Be a long time before the Grey Cup is played here again".

"I hope so, it's got to be a bit embarrassing for the League".

I have been to only 2 Grey Cup festivals, 2011 in BC and this one. I will say this festival is far superior to 2011 and that is with my team playing in 2011. I have volunteered at this one and seen large crowds of happy people at the street festival (indoor and outdoor) and the Convention Centre. The "fan experience" at U of W was pretty great. I have really taken it in....concerts, interactive things, etc.

Lol, now I am pretty negative about Winnipeg, it being behind the times/unprogressive/blah blah blah, but anyone who calls this Grey Cup "embarrassing for the league " clearly doesn't get it but more acurately is probably just searching for yet another reason to crap on the Blue Bombers.

Fantastic festival. Great job Winnipeg!

Well, with reduced capacity & discounts after people paid full price of course there's negativity & skepticism. It seems like people weren't breaking down the doors to buy tickets at their full prices.

You mean a small league in a smaller market in a traditionally cold area had a hard time selling out (which it eventually did)

Shocking!

Bombers still gonna make a ton of cash off it. From all accounts from the festival stuff to the game it was a huge success. Get some issues at IGF figured out and make it so 40000 plus can go and it will be back again. Makes you wonder what capacity at Ottawa or Hamilton would be tho. Bet it's back here in 5 6 years

Well, with reduced capacity & discounts after people paid full price of course there's negativity & skepticism. It seems like people weren't breaking down the doors to buy tickets at their full prices.

You mean a small league in a smaller market in a traditionally cold area had a hard time selling out (which it eventually did)

Shocking!

We had 50,000 at the 91 GC, SPuDS. 

Bombers still gonna make a ton of cash off it. From all accounts from the festival stuff to the game it was a huge success. Get some issues at IGF figured out and make it so 40000 plus can go and it will be back again. Makes you wonder what capacity at Ottawa or Hamilton would be tho. Bet it's back here in 5 6 years

Both Hamilton & Ottawa have lots of room to expand their stadiums by 10-15,000 if they want. So about the same as us at least. 

Had a great time at the game today.

Pretty much any problem can be traced back to the Bomber team being so lousy recently. The Bombers, and by extension the CFL, seem to have the lowest amount of goodwill from casual sports fans that I've seen in the last 20 years or so. Well the Mike Kelly era was maybe worse by the end, but it was more of a direct hatred towards one person. When he was fired the fans jumped back on board amazingly fast. I don't feel like there's any quick fix available like that now. People that I talk to seem to genuinely have given up on the whole organization, and don't even bother hoping for firings or big signings because its assumed they'd backfire anyways.

My point is, I'm impressed any bomber fans at all showed up.

Has the CFL lost it's family oriented image with higher ticket prices & corporate events that most fans can't/won't attend? I do know at one time the CFL prided itself on regular fans affording to come to games.

Somewhat. I still enjoy the cfl but they are pushing the envelope when they expect me to pay 12 dollars a beer to watch guys who are working at rona or selling cars in the off season.

If I had young kids I'd probably take them to a goldeyes game.