Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

You really don't see any other factor that could account for the difference? 

The Riders being in the game was obviously a massive help, but, and hopefully people don't take this the wrong way, home teams being in the Grey Cup wasn't needed before, just seems to be a recent thing, which obviously started in 2011. The League has had issues selling out the last two Grey Cups, and sorry to say, but that is a concern for me. Although in fairness I will acknowledge that the price gauging has to stop, however even to that end, how much were people paying when the Jets made it to the Playoffs ?

home teams being in the Grey Cup wasn't needed before,

You lost me here.  The home team is a huge factor.  The 2011 Grey Cup was sold out because the Lions were in it.  I know because I saw about 30,000 fake fans show up for the game decked out in orange, who probably hadn't been to a game in years. The Cup last year wasn't sold out because the Lions weren't in it.  It wasn't "trendy" to be there so the fake fans didn't show up.

I was in Abbotsford a few weeks ago having lunch with a guy, and he has Seahawks and Canucks season tickets.  Almost everyone in the restaurant that he knew also were Seahawks season ticket holders.  When I asked him if he went to any Lions games he just laughed at me.  It's not "cool" to say you are going to the Lions game I guess.

You lost me here.  The home team is a huge factor.  The 2011 Grey Cup was sold out because the Lions were in it.  I know because I saw about 30,000 fake fans show up for the game decked out in orange, who probably hadn't been to a game in years. The Cup last year wasn't sold out because the Lions weren't in it.  It wasn't "trendy" to be there so the fake fans didn't show up.

I was in Abbotsford a few weeks ago having lunch with a guy, and he has Seahawks and Canucks season tickets.  Almost everyone in the restaurant that he knew also were Seahawks season ticket holders.  When I asked him if he went to any Lions games he just laughed at me.  It's not "cool" to say you are going to the Lions game I guess.

That was my point though, it wasn't needed before and I even brought up how it seemed to only start in 2011. 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 sold well without the home team involved. I wasn't knocking Winnipeg when I brought up the home team thing and I know it provides a boost, but somethings off with the CFL these days, seems to have started in 2013, when the ratings were on pace for record highs, then IIRC once the 3rd week of September hit, they took a tumble. BC is in big trouble IMO, all the work that Bobby Ackles did there disappeared pretty quickly after his death.

That was my point though, it wasn't needed before and I even brought up how it seemed to only start in 2011. 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 sold well without the home team involved. I wasn't knocking Winnipeg when I brought up the home team thing and I know it provides a boost, but somethings off with the CFL these days, seems to have started in 2013, when the ratings were on pace for record highs, then IIRC once the 3rd week of September hit, they took a tumble. BC is in big trouble IMO, all the work that Bobby Ackles did there disappeared pretty quickly after his death.

2007 - Riders / Bombers in Cup in TO

2008 - Montreal was playing at home

2009 - Riders in Cup in Calgary

2010 - Riders in Cup in Edmoton

2011 - BC was playing at home

These years were either the home team or Riders involved.  The Riders in Edmonton or Calgary for regular season games sees quite a spike in attendance.

Only in Winnipeg could there be a negative spin on the game selling out.

Barely managing to sell out with only 3,000 seats more than permanent capacity, plus having to subtract 5,000 seats from the original expansion plan and Nissan having to buy 2,000 seats, is nothing to be proud of.

BC didn't sell out last year, but at least there were over 50,000 people in attendance, with just under 48,000 paid.

Blah Blah Blah

What's your life like?   I just cant imagine being so negative all the time.  It must be hard on you and your family.  

Wow was that ever a ignorant comment.  Pretty bush of you BFFC

Ignorant?  I don't think so.  Maybe a little heavy handed but not ignorant.   I'm a positive outlook kind of person and it's done me well in my life and career.  I worked in corporate sales for 28 years and lead sales teams who always excelled.  I have no idea how many meetings I chaired in my career but it would have to be more than a thousand.   I had one rule in my meetings and it was that they would never become "*****" sessions.  If you wanted to sit there and complain then you could leave.  The good news was I never had to kick anyone out of a meeting.    If you had a problem, bring me a solution. No matter how farfetched it might have been.  But at least you brought me a solution and then it was up to the team to scale it back so that it was effective and workable.  I've been retired now at the age of 53 for a little over a year and I don't believe for a second I could have done it if it weren't for the way I looked at life and as such my career.     

I've tried my best to instill the same beliefs in my kids and so far I would have to say it looks like its working for them as well.  I've since gone back to work and its great.  I put in my 8 hours a day, I don't have to read a 100+ emails a day, answer my cellphone at midnight and I can just leave work at the end of the day and not worry about what's happening when I'm not there.    My point here is that I see many managers who try to be leaders but their ineffective because all they do is focus on the negative or complain about things in front of their employees.  So of course the employees are going to act just like their manager and it just leads to an ineffective work environment.  I keep my mouth shut because it's not my place to say anything. I'm just a peon now and enjoy every minute of it.   

Anyway I'm not here to preach but I just wanted to provide my reasons as to why I get frustrated by people who just can't say "nice job".     

Just drove back to Edmonton yesterday from Winnipeg. Even though we were only there for 36 hours we had a great time and are left with a very positive impression of Winnipeg. We walked around downtown quite a while on Sunday before the game and were amazed by the number of heritage buildings you have.

IGF is a fantastic stadium to watch a football game in. We sat in the fourth row of the upper deck around the 43 yard line. It is a terrific vantage point from there. It seems most of the Bomber faithful were cheering for the RedBlacks but had no problem with me cheering for the Esks. 

Met a lot of friendly people including John the guy I bought the tickets from off of kijiji.

Thanks to everyone in Winnipeg.

I'm sure a lot of it goes back to Edmonton being that team to hate with their Evil Empire schtick, but is there any other reason anyone was cheering for Ottawa?

I was cheering for Edmonton, mainly because they had some Manitoba boys (Eddie Steele, Donny O), their Bomber alumni were far more likeable than Ottawa's and I can't stand Jovon Johnson or Henry Burris.

Ever since Ottawa came back into the CFL 2 seasons ago, the level of play has been just crap. I never would have thought just ONE team could hurt the game so much. It's becoming harder & harder each year to watch the CFL. From a watered down product because of expansion, to the inferior play on the field to terrible broadcasts by TSN to overpriced tickets & concessions, it's just turning fans off across the country.

Regarding the placement of the stage, maybe Im in the minority but on TV at least, it looked way better than on the field.  It actually looked like a full concert stage and the lighting and video screens really enhanced it.  I'd be fine with that being the de facto set up for future Cups.  Made a lot of sense and looked tremendous.

Being to the last 4 I would rank them.

1. 100th

2. 103rd

3. 101st

4. 102nd

Wish I could have been there.  I went to last year's in BC but didn't really get a chance to participate much in the festivities.  I was at 2011's Cup in Vancouver, that was a blast, and of course it helped that the Bombers were in it, so a lot of Bomber fans were running around the streets and packing the Elephant and Castle.  What really makes these things isn't just the events, its the people AT the events.  It's truly a day (now several days with all of the events) in the year where Canadians from all over the country (and some Yanks too!) can get together and participate in something truly and uniquely Canadian.  Highly recommend people go if they have the chance (and the cash!), and truly sorry I couldn't make it out this year to the event in Winnipeg.

Did anyone get a chance to hang out with the Blue Bastard?  He's hilarious!

Spent most of the day Sunday with him - fan march, then tailgaiting, of course the game, then a brief post game party at the Pemby*.... he's a long time friend of a good friend of mine... he was pretty tame by Sunday, two consecutive days of heavy drinking will do that!

*The Pemby apparently has strippers now, it was weird, don't try to be something you're not Pemby, you're a dive sports bar, noyt some hight end drinking establishment with "Dancers"

I'm sure a lot of it goes back to Edmonton being that team to hate with their Evil Empire schtick, but is there any other reason anyone was cheering for Ottawa?

I was cheering for Edmonton, mainly because they had some Manitoba boys (Eddie Steele, Donny O), their Bomber alumni were far more likeable than Ottawa's and I can't stand Jovon Johnson or Henry Burris.

The media did their spin job to make it sound like Ottawa was the good story and a lot of people buy the crap that Burris peddles about being the happiest and best person on the planet. The loudest I cheered in that game was when that arrogant tool got smacked at mid field. **** Henry Burris.

1. 100th

2. 103rd

3. 101st

4. 102nd

Wish I could have been there.  I went to last year's in BC but didn't really get a chance to participate much in the festivities.  I was at 2011's Cup in Vancouver, that was a blast, and of course it helped that the Bombers were in it, so a lot of Bomber fans were running around the streets and packing the Elephant and Castle.  What really makes these things isn't just the events, its the people AT the events.  It's truly a day (now several days with all of the events) in the year where Canadians from all over the country (and some Yanks too!) can get together and participate in something truly and uniquely Canadian.  Highly recommend people go if they have the chance (and the cash!), and truly sorry I couldn't make it out this year to the event in Winnipeg.

Spent most of the day Sunday with him - fan march, then tailgaiting, of course the game, then a brief post game party at the Pemby*.... he's a long time friend of a good friend of mine... he was pretty tame by Sunday, two consecutive days of heavy drinking will do that!

*The Pemby apparently has strippers now, it was weird, don't try to be something you're not Pemby, you're a dive sports bar, noyt some hight end drinking establishment with "Dancers"

Whaaat???  Where the hell are you from?  I don't associate strippers with high end dance clubs, not in Wpg. anyways. They's common folks on and off stage.

1. 100th

2. 103rd

3. 101st

4. 102nd

Whaaat???  Where the hell are you from?  I don't associate strippers with high end dance clubs, not in Wpg. anyways. They's common folks on and off stage.

You're right about that one... but I couldn't think of a better way to describe it... it felt like they were trying too hard to be respectable... I guess I haven't been there in a few years...

Just drove back to Edmonton yesterday from Winnipeg. Even though we were only there for 36 hours we had a great time and are left with a very positive impression of Winnipeg. We walked around downtown quite a while on Sunday before the game and were amazed by the number of heritage buildings you have.

IGF is a fantastic stadium to watch a football game in. We sat in the fourth row of the upper deck around the 43 yard line. It is a terrific vantage point from there. It seems most of the Bomber faithful were cheering for the RedBlacks but had no problem with me cheering for the Esks. 

Met a lot of friendly people including John the guy I bought the tickets from off of kijiji.

Thanks to everyone in Winnipeg.

I'm glad you had a good time and were left with a positive impression. 

Congrats on the Esks win too. They deserved it.