Lawless Leaves Free Press, Joins TSN Full Time

gbill2004

I hope they move Turner back to being lead sports columnist and not Wicek.  

Or maybe now that Ed T has a couple years making NHL contacts to go with his football cred they will feel he's ready to take the big byline.  I'd love to see that.  He has that rare ability to criticize the home team without enraging the fan base.  But then again I guess enraging the fan base is at least a little bit a part of the job.   

Scott Taylor is polishing his resume.

The Free Press can't directly hire someone for that columnist gig, it will be filled internally and an entry-level reporter gig might open up at the bottom. It's a union shop, all decisions are governed by seniority.

It will likely be either Wiecek or Tait that gets the columnist gig, I suspect. Randy Turner hasn't been a full time FP writer in several years. 

Great! TSN adds Lawless to their stellar staff. Right up there with Black, Schultz, and Lapo. Should make watching the games much easier. LOL!

TSN Radio is the main gig is it not? Unless he taking over for Sara O or the other local TSN person.

I believe the release said he would be part of CFL telecasts (he has done some in the past, I think he will become more of a regular), TSN 1290, TSN Jets, and he will be doing writing for the TSN website.

Orlesky is still Winnipeg based too, bomber and Jets games for her. Not much will change with Lawless really... He will be doing what he's been doing for some time now on TSN, it's just that he won't be writing for the free press anymore.

Still gonna have Lawless and order, still gonna see Lawless being the Winnipeg representative on TSN... 

TSN Radio is the main gig is it not? Unless he taking over for Sara O or the other local TSN person.

Intermissions aren't long enough to allow Lawless to ask the players questions.

hjahahah can you imagine?

"Okay, Lowry, let me ask you something, do you feel you were really uh, you know uh pushing the uh...well because let me tell you what I see out there, uh I see the guys, the players, they're out there, they're uh you know, they're skating and their pushing and uh look, this is the bottom line out there, guys pushing, really uh you know, really pushing the play and I see it like this and maybe this is just me and you can disagree or not but what I see in my uh from my, you know my cheap seats up above the 300's is you know, your line working, working uh hard out there and just pushing the play when you're on the ice and really just, uh you know giving it out there.  is that how you see it?"

"Yes"

"Thats all the time we have"

Intermissions aren't long enough to allow Lawless to ask the players questions.

hjahahah can you imagine?

"Okay, Lowry, let me ask you something, do you feel you were really uh, you know uh pushing the uh...well because let me tell you what I see out there, uh I see the guys, the players, they're out there, they're uh you know, they're skating and their pushing and uh look, this is the bottom line out there, guys pushing, really uh you know, really pushing the play and I see it like this and maybe this is just me and you can disagree or not but what I see in my uh from my, you know my cheap seats up above the 300's is you know, your line working, working uh hard out there and just pushing the play when you're on the ice and really just, uh you know giving it out there.  is that how you see it?"

"Yes"

"Thats all the time we have"

Pretty much bang on. Would also take lawless a while to get down to ice level ;) 

The Reporters is awful. Just a terrible show. Anything involving Bruce Arthur is a joke. What a pompous windbag.

I like Arthur - he's a good twitter follow too. Speaking of pompous windbags... isn't Steve Simmons a regular on The Reporters?   IMO, Simmons and Damien Cox are easily 2 of the least desirable sports media in the country. 

Rarely to never watch that show but...

Dave Hodge is annoying, Simmons is ultra annoying, dude knows it all, Damien Cox is just a fool, Arthur has knowledge but he's such a pompous little ass that i just can't stand him... Lawless should fit right in.

Who watches that show regularly tho? 

The Reporters is awful. Just a terrible show. Anything involving Bruce Arthur is a joke. What a pompous windbag.

I like Arthur - he's a good twitter follow too. Speaking of pompous windbags... isn't Steve Simmons a regular on The Reporters?   IMO, Simmons and Damien Cox are easily 2 of the least desirable sports media in the country. 

Arthur is just so pretentious, especially on Twitter.  I can't take it.  Certainly I agree about Simmons as well.  Cox is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Rarely to never watch that show but...

Dave Hodge is annoying, Simmons is ultra annoying, dude knows it all, Damien Cox is just a fool, Arthur has knowledge but he's such a pompous little ass that i just can't stand him... Lawless should fit right in.

Who watches that show regularly tho? 

People up early on Sunday mornings.  AKA psychopaths.

Arthur is just so pretentious, especially on Twitter.  I can't take it.  Certainly I agree about Simmons as well.  Cox is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Arthur's a smart guy, but definitely seems to think his position is always the moral high ground. Hodge seems outdated, and Simmons has kind of made a joke of himself at times. Really doesn't hide his dislike of certain athletes, Kessel in particular. His hotdog story about Kessel won't show up in many journalism textbooks.  I disagree with Farber on virtually everything, but don't have too much bad to say about him other than that. Having said all that, I pvr their show every weekend...

Damien Cox is terrible on tv, and has the worst twitter feed of any well known media personality in Canada. I don't agree with a lot of media guys, but he's the only one that I feel a real dislike for. I hate that's he's part of Sportsnet's NHL coverage.

I sure hope so. I hated seeing him as a panelist for the Jets/Ducks series. Hoping that was because it was Rogers' first playoffs and any tennis, Nascar or spelling bee correspondent needed to be utilized. 

Lawless is connected for sure, it's just his opinion pieces got pretty annoying to read. Seriously haven't read the free press in a long time, used to go to the bathroom and take the sports section with me, not anymore lol... not anymore. Now if i took it with me, i think the better use for it might be to wipe my ass with it. It's pretty much garbage.