Lawless Leaves Free Press, Joins TSN Full Time

gbill2004

gary lawless @garylawless 2m2 minutes ago

Happy to say I'm joining TSN full-time. Sad to say I'm leaving the Free Press. It's been a great place to work. Winnipeg remains my home #bn

Acclaimed Sports Journalist Gary Lawless Joins TSN on a Full-Time Basis

– HUSTLER AND LAWLESS, the weekday drive show on TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg, also expands to three hours, airing from 3-6 p.m. CT –
– Longtime sports columnist for the Winnipeg Free Press now contributes exclusively to TSN platforms –

September 23, 2015

WINNIPEG (September 23, 2015) – TSN announced today that acclaimed sports journalist Gary Lawless has signed an agreement to work with the network on a full-time basis, appearing exclusively on TSN platforms – including writing exclusively for TSN Digital properties.

Continuing to be based in Winnipeg, Lawless expands his weekday drive show on TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg, HUSTLER AND LAWLESS, to three hours. Beginning Monday, Oct. 5, the show airs from 3-6 p.m. CT.

Gary-Lawless-TSN.jpg

Gary Lawless expands HUSTLER AND LAWLESS, his weekday drive show on TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg, and contributes exclusively to TSN Digital platforms.

DOWNLOAD PHOTO: http://bit.ly/1L46sQU

Lawless will also appear regularly as a senior correspondent for TSN’s exclusive live coverage of the CFL, as a Jets Insider for TSN’s live regional coverage of the Winnipeg Jets, and will expand his broadcast presence, making frequent appearances on TIM HORTONS THAT’S HOCKEY and THE REPORTERS.

With the addition of Lawless, TSN expands its presence in the key Winnipeg market, which already includes TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg,

comprehensive coverage of the Winnipeg Jets and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and news coverage from Winnipeg Bureau Reporter Sara Orlesky.

“TSN is the standard in sports media in Canada. Its roster of on- and off-air people is both all-star and Hall of Fame calibre,” said Gary Lawless.

“The opportunity to join this team and take on new roles is invigorating. HUSTLER AND LAWLESS has taken a strong position in the Winnipeg sports scene and the chance to continue growing it while being a part of TSN’s TV and digital reach is a great next challenge. I have great affection for the Free Press and the people I’ve worked with there and am grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow while writing and reporting there for almost 20 years.”

“Gary is the definitive voice of Winnipeg sports, and we are thrilled to have him with us on TSN 1290 and all TSN platforms full-time,” said Chris Brooke, Program Director, TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg. “The expansion of HUSTLER AND LAWLESS and his new contributions to TSN’s digital platforms are a huge win for Winnipeg sports fans.”

Lawless joined the Winnipeg Free Press in 1999, covering pro hockey, baseball, and football before becoming the newspaper’s lead sports columnist.

I remember when Hustler & Lawless jumped to 1290.  It was before the Jets were even back if I recall (and definitely before TSN got the radio rights).  I was having a drink with a CJOB employee friend and he said everyone at CJOB thought they were nuts and the station told them they were betting on the wrong horse.

Turned out pretty good for both of them.

Despite the criticism, Gary works hard and has a ton of insight.  He's clearly the most connected guy in Winnipeg.  I know when there is a development or even a big win or loss with the Bombers or Jets, I seek out his twitter or H&L to get his take on things.

Good for him and good for Winnipeg to have the local guru deepening his national connections and presence.

Will be able to read his articles again now that they won't be behind the Free Press pay wall.

First thing I thought of too.  Maybe there is something to this Winnipeg Cheap thing after all...

I finally gave in and linked my credit card.  Its not bad.  I feel I've read everything I want to and Im only up to about $4.40.  You can also get a refund.  I think it was Mike on Crime that finally caused me to give in.

Must have been a heck of an offer financially.  Otherwise you'd think Freep would bend over to keep him.  But really isnt it a dream job for a regional sports reporter? 

Sucks about H&L going three hours as it works out perfectly for me to get in the car at 4pm.  I know they will replay the top stories but its fun getting their FIRST reaction to things right at 4.  Good for them though.

Sucks for us who drink in the sports media in this town.. The dank cesspool that weve come to know just got that much more murky.

Sigh.

Good on him tho to further his career onto the national stage. Tbh, print media is a dodo, just waiting to go extinct.

Sucks for us who drink in the sports media in this town.. The dank cesspool that weve come to know just got that much more murky.

Sigh.

Good on him tho to further his career onto the national stage. Tbh, print media is a dodo, just waiting to go extinct.

I don't understand SPuDS. He is just moving to another employer, he didn't die :D

Will be able to read his articles again now that they won't be behind the Free Press pay wall.

First thing I thought of too.  Maybe there is something to this Winnipeg Cheap thing after all...

Has nothing to do with Winnipeg... has to do with a dying media...

Good for Gary... now I can read the occasional article of his that I want to read...