U of Guelph courting Kyle Walters

gbill2004

Lawless was on TSN 1290 talking about Walter situation this morning.  He endorsed John Murphy, but said Murphy is a little rough around the edges, but if you could pair him with someone a little smoother, it'd be a great combo. 

Do you mean a smooth operator?

Brendan-Taman.jpg

or someone a little rough around the edges?

regina-sk-august-04-2015-saskatchewan-ro

It's the hat...It's the hat!

Just curious, how many people who want Murphy if Walters leaves have criticized the Bombers in the past for hiring GMs and HCs with no previous experience. 

I don't think Taman & Murphy would want to work together. Murphy was part of the group that forced him out of Winnipeg.

There's a plus for Murphy.

I wanted John Murphy in 2013... and I still want him as our GM now... like iso mentioned, he is already doing most GM duties in Calgary including negotiating contracts, cap management, and, of course, scouting...

Does anyone think Brendan Taman is refined? The guy looked more like a street creature at times with a 3 day beard & hair that looked it hadn't been washed in a week. Like he was homeless. Anyone old enough to remember former Winnipeg Jets 1.0 GM Mike Smith? His hair was always dishevelled & he looked like he slept in the suits he wore. 

I am guessing he is refined compared to some of the contributors here.  :)

Whatever happens we should be raiding Calgary coaching and management. They have been good for years. Somebody knows what they are doing. Not here.

I PVR'd the game as I needed to do some driving and I like watching not listening. I got home late and started watching the game. five minutes in it was clear I had wasted a lot of anticipation. The deliciious barley wine started tasting sour. My bomber shirt started feeling itchy. I watched the whole thing but I can't understand why. I felt like I was watching a slow motion car wreck. It was obvious that the game was done. Defense played well but special teams OMG. Between Nichols overthrows and receivers not catching it seemed that no coordinator pixie dust would turn that steaming mess into a chocolate cake. Not to say play calling wasn't something to be picked up on a stick because running behind tackles with a guy who is supposed to be fast isn't going to get the job done. 

OK I'll stop now. 

Murphy was the best candidate last time and if he would come here, you give him whatever he wants. Best young potential GM this league has seen in a long time. No way Calgary has the same success in recent years without him. The depth he has built is unparalleled.

An example of this being, losing two starters on O line, plus Bryant to Wpg, and O line continues to perform well. I think some of the backups to backups are in there now and then.

Murphy was the best candidate last time and if he would come here, you give him whatever he wants. Best young potential GM this league has seen in a long time. No way Calgary has the same success in recent years without him. The depth he has built is unparalleled.

I agree and hope he would come back but wonder if he would want to?   I can't quite recall all the reasons we got rid of him (was he also part of the video taping/spying incident?) but I wonder if there may be some bad feelings towards the Bombers from him?

Plus if Huf does want out of Calgary he may be in the perfect spot already to take over as GM

John Murphy was at least partially responsible for the SwaggerVille defence that made Joe Mack look not totally incompetent for an entire year. And that's not easy to do.

I guess before I endorsed him to the degree some others are willing to do id want to know everything he does in Calgary. American recruitment is only part of the job of being a true CFL GM. If he has people skill issues that's a real thing.

Want a stone cold guarantee of being a top 4 team by 2018. Hire Eric Tillman. It's a deal with the devil for sure and would require a lot of PR. But unless you're giving Murphy credit for EVERYTHING that's gone right in Calgary (and some of you are) then Tillman is the only proven candidate out there.

start flaming... Now.

John Murphy was at least partially responsible for the SwaggerVille defence that made Joe Mack look not totally incompetent for an entire year. And that's not easy to do.

I guess before I endorsed him to the degree some others are willing to do id want to know everything he does in Calgary. American recruitment is only part of the job of being a true CFL GM. If he has people skill issues that's a real thing.

Want a stone cold guarantee of being a top 4 team by 2018. Hire Eric Tillman. It's a deal with the devil for sure and would require a lot of PR. But unless you're giving Murphy credit for EVERYTHING that's gone right in Calgary (and some of you are) then Tillman is the only proven candidate out there.

start flaming... Now.

They hire Tillman and I'm really going to struggle to support that team. I don't think I can cheer for him

start flaming... Now.

it makes sense but you have to draw a line.  Tillman is a POS and that was before he took a liking to his kid's babysitter.

start flaming... Now.

it makes sense but you have to draw a line.  Tillman is a POS and that was before he took a liking to his kid's babysitter.

But you have high fives for Jagr for bedding a teenager?

Redheads of the world just can't catch a break.

Just curious, how many people who want Murphy if Walters leaves have criticized the Bombers in the past for hiring GMs and HCs with no previous experience. 

I don't think Taman & Murphy would want to work together. Murphy was part of the group that forced him out of Winnipeg.

He does have experience Jacquie, Read his bio. He's already doing the job that full time GMs do. He has since 2010.

And Hufnagel just sits there and twiddles his thumbs. I don't think so. I've read his bio and he's an assistant GM who has no experience running the show. Hufnagel makes the decisions, not Murphy.

He does have experience Jacquie, Read his bio. He's already doing the job that full time GMs do. He has since 2010.

And Hufnagel just sits there and twiddles his thumbs. I don't think so. I've read his bio and he's an assistant GM who has no experience running the show. Hufnagel makes the decisions, not Murphy.

Of course Huff makes the final decision. He's his boss but Murphy does all the work & comes to  him with his recommendations, You think Huff does the scouting? Even Lawless today on TSN 1290 acknowledged Murphy is an extraordinary recruiter. If you look at his bio at Stampeders.com, he negotiates contracts, he monitors the waiver wire, he preps the neg list, he's in charge of FA camps, manages the salary cap, he recruits FA players & helps prepare the CFL draft for Huff. Yeah, Murphy does nothing & contributes nothing to the Stampeders. He's just a lowly assistant gofer who fetches coffee & bagels for Hufnagel everyday.Washes Huff's SUV when it gets dirty.Maybe cuts his grass in summer & shovels his walk in winter. I even posted a link so someone like you can read it yet you still don't want to believe anything it says. What's the point in posting links like you demand when you don't believe what they say anyway? 

It's weird and yeah I get Murphy has been around for a while but basically to me he sounds like Joe mack ish... he's a good scout but not sure he's a guy I'd want with the final say on everything. Don't get me wrong Murphy would be my guy too or McEvoy in BC but... he's as unproven at the GM level as Walters and mack. No to Taman. Been there done that. Taman isn't the guy for the job but surely there's got to be someone other than Higgins out there with actual gm experience