Practice report September 18

gbill2004

Nick Moore is practicing with helmet on at start of practice.

Willy doing some mental reps behind the QBs. He's walking much better than when I saw him walking just last week at the Banjo Bowl.

Overheard Matt Nichols and JFG talking about which Winnipeg restaurant has the hottest waitresses.

Lots of ST work today.

Willy doing some mental reps behind the QBs. He's walking much better than when I saw him walking just last week at the Banjo Bowl.

Overheard Matt Nichols and JFG talking about which Winnipeg restaurant has the hottest waitresses.

And more importantly which Winnipeg Resturant is it ?

you would think that JFG would also be sharing his love of Paul Mitchell hair products.

that glorious pile of hair.. come on.. you know he uses horse mane and tail shampoo.. coupled with a whalebone brush.

(bonus points for getting reference :) )

Yeah, come on we all want this info too...

Yeah, come on we all want this info too...
Sorry guys I didn't hear the end of their convo.

Moore practiced and was wearing his helmet all practice, but then during the 10 minutes of scrimmage, he didn't participate.  He looked good earlier so I'd expect him to play this week, but the no scrimmage was a little puzzling. 

Stoudermire made a couple nice catches as a WR during scrimmage. 

Seemed like a light practice...lots of joking around. 

Westerman seems like a real pro.  During special teams drills, he was coaching up the DL guys on the sideline for those not involved in ST.  Justin Cole was working hard on the side too. 

Brohm and Nichols split scrimmage reps, they were the only 2 QBs to get reps today, but like I said they only scrimmaged for about 10 minutes. 

During scrimmage, Brohm completed a beauty deep ball to Chevon Walker.  Nichols completed a pass to Kohlert up the middle that should have been picked off, but Kohlert fought for the ball nicely. 

During QB/WR drills, Boyd looks to throw a really nice spiral with lots of power on it.  But I couldn't get much of read on him based on a few short throws. 

Moore practiced and was wearing his helmet all practice, but then during the 10 minutes of scrimmage, he didn't participate.  He looked good earlier so I'd expect him to play this week, but the no scrimmage was a little puzzling. 

Westerman seems like a real pro.  During special teams drills, he was coaching up the DL guys on the sideline for those not involved in ST.  Justin Cole was working hard on the side too. 

Brohm and Nichols split scrimmage reps, they were the only 2 QBs to get reps today, but like I said they only scrimmaged for about 10 minutes. 

During scrimmage, Brohm completed a beauty deep ball to Chevon Walker.  Nichols completed a pass to Kohlert up the middle that should have been picked off, but Kohlert fought for the ball nicely. 

During QB/WR drills, Boyd looks to throw a really nice spiral with lots of power on it.  But I couldn't get much of read on him based on a few short throws. 

Only 10 minutes of scrimmage and still giving Brohm reps.  WTF?

Because, like it or not, Brohm is the backup right now.  Realistically, there is no one else who could really step in if Nichols couldn't go in.  There's no way Boyd's going to be ready yet (or for a while) nor is the guy who's name escapes me, but was #4 on the depth chart.  Like it or not, for the next few games at the very least, it's Nichols - Brohm. 

As a coach, you don't give all the reps to one QB for a few reasons:

1.  You want to have some time to talk to him, without slowing practice down.

2.  You want to coach him up while observing (and critiquing) what the other guy is doing. (ie mental reps)

3.  You don't want to wear him out too badly.  Many coaches don't want a QB throwing more than 40 to 50 passes in a practice, including the indy or skelly sessions.  Same reason as why baseball teams rotate pitchers, they only have so many good throws in them.  (I know that a baseball pitch is more aggressive on the arm than a football pass, but it is the same theory)

Like it or not, Brohm is still the #2.  Personally I would have given Davis those #2 reps, as I don't see any future for Brohm.   I don't think Boyd would have a good enough handle on the offence to take reps at this stage.  The reps are also for the RB's, Receivers, and Linemen too, so you need to be efficient in your practices.

I've been involved with minor football teams that were down to one QB for whatever reason for a practice, and they would rotate in a coach to run some reps during scrimmage for the above reasons.

Are you sure you didn't mix up the names of the QB's?  Brohm with the near INT and Nichols with the nice deep ball sounds more realistic.  ^_^

The Bigger question is why only 10 Minutes on Scrimmage it doesn't seem enough to me especially for a struggling Offence with an New QB ???

That was more my point, in a 10 min. scrimmage Nichols is only in there for 5 minutes.  How does any QB establish timing with RB's and receivers in that amount of time? 

Do you think this was the only practice this week?