Week 7 Edm@BC - Mont@Ott - Sask@Tor

Mr Dee

Haven't seen this kind of parity in the league in a long time!

Standings are

Cal 4-2

Edm 4-2

Wpg 3-3

BC 3-3

Ham 3-2

Ott 3-2

Tor 3-2

Mtl 2-3

Sask 0-6

One win separates first thru 7th in the league. After this weekend if the Bombers, Mtl and TO win it could very well be 

Wpg 4-3

Cal 4-2

Edm 4-2

Tor 4-2

BC 3-3

Ham 3-3

Ott 3-3

Mtl 3-3

Sask 0-7

Haven't seen this kind of parity in the league in a long time!

Standings are

Cal 4-2

Edm 4-2

Wpg 3-3

BC 3-3

Ham 3-2

Ott 3-2

Tor 3-2

Mtl 2-3

Sask 0-6

One win separates first thru 7th in the league. After this weekend if the Bombers, Mtl and TO win it could very well be 

Wpg 4-3

Cal 4-2

Edm 4-2

Tor 4-2

BC 3-3

Ham 3-3

Ott 3-3

Mtl 3-3

Sask 0-7

From your keyboard to Milt's ears......

Jones with another idiotic decision, gambles on 3rd and 4 instead of trying the 48 yd. FG.  Game over.

it's fun to see the coaches going for it in these situations, instead of the predictable plays.

Seen more fake kickoffs, fake punts, and so on this year, than usually happen in an entire season. sometimes it works… like Ticats the other day.

That was a great play.

I like this new attitude of the coaches.

Jones doesn't bother me at all. Seems to be a really good coach too.

Agreed, but there has to be situational consideration... kicking a 48-yarder to tie, in a dome, with a kicker who is 100% on the season should be a no-brainer...

what did chris jones do wrong?

Gambled on 3rd down rather than going for a 48 yard field goal with a kicker who is playing lights out.

thanks heel,

I meant to ask, why do people dislike Chris Jones personally? He seems ok to me. If it's that he appears arrogant, which one of these head coaches isn't? 

Being in control of a team of football players isn't for some weak kneed shy gentle namby pamby 

Gambled on 3rd down rather than going for a 48 yard field goal with a kicker who is playing lights out.

I meant to ask, why do people dislike Chris Jones personally? He seems ok to me. 

Just his thoughts and mentality on some things. 

His first year as head coach he refused the traditional handshake after a game with the opposing coach because he felt that it wasn't "genuine"

In his first year as the Esks head coach, Jones offended some with his refusal to shake hands. He said at the time that he felt it wasn’t genuine.

“If we win ... what can I say to help that guy?” Jones told the Journal in August 2014, when first asked about his handshake policy. “He’s only doing it because he has to. Or he thinks he has to.

“If they happen to win, they have nothing that they can say that I want to hear.”

Apparently he has relented and shakes hands this year because he didn't want to bring "negative' publicity to the club, but I'm sure he still thinks it is an empty gesture.  

I meant to ask, why do people dislike Chris Jones personally? He seems ok to me. 

His first year as head coach he refused the traditional handshake after a game with the opposing coach because he felt that it wasn't "genuine"

In his first year as the Esks head coach, Jones offended some with his refusal to shake hands. He said at the time that he felt it wasn’t genuine.

“If we win ... what can I say to help that guy?” Jones told the Journal in August 2014, when first asked about his handshake policy. “He’s only doing it because he has to. Or he thinks he has to.

“If they happen to win, they have nothing that they can say that I want to hear.”

Apparently he has relented and shakes hands this year because he didn't want to bring "negative' publicity to the club, but I'm sure he still thinks it is an empty gesture.  

He may feel it's an empty gesture and I can appreciate not wanting to hear 'consolation' after a loss .. that said .. it's about good sportsmanship and the one thing I've always admired about the sport of hockey is that post series handshake .. those guys beat each other up .. it can get ugly .. but at the end of a series there's that show of respect for the guys competing across from you.

I guess one could infer that Jones simply doesn't respect his opponents.

He may feel it's an empty gesture and I can appreciate not wanting to hear 'consolation' after a loss .. that said .. it's about good sportsmanship and the one thing I've always admired about the sport of hockey is that post series handshake .. those guys beat each other up .. it can get ugly .. but at the end of a series there's that show of respect for the guys competing across from you.

Hes a scumbag. Doesnt respect his opponents or opposition coaches. Thought it was well known that he targeted players when he was a DC in toronto and always was egotistical..

This is exactly it. The handshake isn't an empty gesture, it's a sportsmanship thing. You show your respect for your opponents and even though you're bitter rivals during the game you still show the respect for them afterwards because the battle ends when the final whistle goes. 

Arrogance and disrespect are things I can't tolerate in a coach. He's basically Mike Kelly except actually a good coach. 

Give me O'Shea anyday. There's a guy who respects everyone. 

"Pete Rozelle promoted a nonfraternization policy during his time as commissioner. He didn’t like the visual that postgame hugs presented to fans. He encouraged coaches to get their players off the field as quickly as possible after the game, lest fans begin to think the battle they had just witnessed wasn’t as real as they thought it was. Coaches from that era, such as Bud Grant, complied with Rozelle’s wishes.

“I never shook Halas’ hand or Lombardi’s hand after a game. That was my volition,” Grant, the former Vikings coach, said. “You were expected to play out there, to work up a certain lather against the other team. If you were in a fight and when the fight was over, if you lost and you could be happy, then I believe you didn’t get prepared for the fight. I don’t believe you can change colors that quickly. You can’t be a chameleon.”

Like so many coaches of his day, Grant would make contact with the opposing coach before the game, “but I’d tell him, ‘After the game, I'm not going to shake hands.’ 

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Point-counterpoint-Should-coaches-shake-hands-after-the-game/5d46e19b-f3bc-4b4d-a558-071556ab856d

"“George Allen never shook a coach's hand after the game. I know that,” former Packers GM Ron Wolf said."

Some people think a handshake is as good as a contract. Whoops, that's right, Jones doesn't like handshakes.

Jones had a contract with Calgary...until he decided he didn't, so he could go to Toronto..in the same position. Paltry fine for it too.

Didn't he also keep holding the team in the tunnel/locker room until after the anthem was played last year? Like what's that all about?

Goddamnitsomuch....went to bed at the end of the 3rd Q. Really didn't think BC had a chance to win this game. Sounds like it was a good'n...

Nah, you didn't miss much.  Other than Lulay's last drive he looked "Brohmish" and Nichols wasn't much better.  I don't think either of these QB's have a bright future.

The respective OCs for Lulay and Nichols better pull out those plays to the wide side of the field for both those QBs. Lulay and Nichols could barely get the ball over to the sidelines. I' d expect more teams to be looking for this in upcoming games. I know if I were a defensive back, I'd be looking for those very throws from them and salivating for the interception.