Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Very impressed with Justin's demeanour, he is not like his fiery dad at all.

He seems calm, kind, and decent.

went to the subway to meet people today, after becoming PM last night. 

like that a lot.

I find him smug and disingenuous.  Maybe it's his acting background but he always seems to be putting on a bad performance.  I thought his victory speech was very smug and while Harper and Mulcair were gracious in defeat, he took some veiled shots.  Maybe its just the way he is and he's being genuine.  But he doesnt come across that way to me at all.

And its not my bias talking as I thought Mulcair had done a good job of putting the Angry Tom stuff behind him and was pretty genuine in his speeches and I would never vote for him.  Trudeau reminds me a bit of of Obama except Obama is a much better public speaker.  But they both ran on "change" and little else.  A winning strategy no doubt.

Angry Tom would have come back had he been elected PM, don't you kid yourself. He's my age & you just don't change at that point in your life with the snap of the fingers.

e has a temper & if elected he wouldn't have cared.

I dont disagree.  Im no Tom fan.  Just that I thought he did a good enough job of coming across statesmanlike and sincere.  Or sincere enough.  And I've always thought Harper delivers good speeches.  CTV briefly mentioned this while Harper was entering for his concession speech that he's very good with the media and it perplexes people why he is so standoffish with the,

But Trudeau?  Its like bad Shakespeare in the Park.  My opinion, but just seems like a guy putting on an act and not doing a very good job of it.

So, you think Trudeau is disingenuos but Mulcair not? You already said that you think the NDP did a good job of trying to change Mulcair's image from that of an angry old man to that of a caring & compassionate leader which isn't true. That's why in the past few weeks seeing his ad where Mulcair's talking softly, smiling & saying he's ready for change if we are came.  across as so phony. He looked uncomfortable talking & acting that way because that isn't him..

I voted Conservative in my riding & have always voted that way since the 74 election when I was 18, be it the Tories, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Cons. I've never voted for the Libs or NDP. Even though I was still drinking my blue kool aid Monday, I could see that Captain Steve-O was going down with his ship.The Cons election campaign strategy was an unmitigated disaster. Of all the ads shown by the 3 major parties, Trudeau came across the best. His "I'll tell you what I'm ready for" ad sounded the most sincere of all of the political ads combined that I saw IMO. It was hokey but Trudeau looked like he had a chip on his shoulder thanks to the incessant Cons attack ads of him.

Not happy the Cons are out but it is what it is. But My God man, quit the whining & just get on with your life. You constantly post about how much you hate Trudeau & give the man no credit at all. My advice? Run for public office then in 4 years for the Cons, try to make a difference & give your words some meaning. 

He's saying all the right things so far. One of the biggest things, for me, was taking 15 minutes with the media yesterday and no questions were off limits. He wanted to make a point about how much more accessible and hands-off he was going to be with the media. Not muzzling them in any way. Maybe it changes down the road, but for now, that's a really smart way to separate yourself from the zombie robot before you.

Very important.

You simply cannot set such a strict guidelines as Harper did to restrict media access and content. "Controlling the message"- still can be scary.

What they say is more important than how they say it.  Or it should be. 

So why are you making an issue out of Trudeau's delivery?

I'm not.  Someone else mentioned his speech and I expressed my opinion.  Im sorry, are we only expressing certain opinions here?

Actually you're criticizing, not making an opinion.

Splitting hairs.  If you find him sincere and genuine and I find him smug and disingenuous, is that not a difference of opinion?  Or do you simply believe you're right and Im wrong?  I can assure you I am not the only person that feels this way.

Being good or bad at public speaking is not a reflection on the content.  Being disingenuous certainly could be.

I'm not.  Someone else mentioned his speech and I expressed my opinion.  Im sorry, are we only expressing certain opinions here?

Speaking of being disingenuous, your "who, me?" act is getting old.

1. I think the Liberals rethink bringing in proportional representation after getting a majority with under 40% of the vote.

2. Brad Wall seemed like a good choice, too bad.

3. Is this new government illegitimate since they got under 40% of the vote as Harper did?

To be fair, in a three party (more) system .. a single party getting 40% of the vote is an incredible accomplishment and a solid mandate to be sure.

Hear! Hear!

like that a lot.

I find him smug and disingenuous.  Maybe it's his acting background but he always seems to be putting on a bad performance.  I thought his victory speech was very smug and while Harper and Mulcair were gracious in defeat, he took some veiled shots.  Maybe its just the way he is and he's being genuine.  But he doesnt come across that way to me at all.

And its not my bias talking as I thought Mulcair had done a good job of putting the Angry Tom stuff behind him and was pretty genuine in his speeches and I would never vote for him.  Trudeau reminds me a bit of of Obama except Obama is a much better public speaker.  But they both ran on "change" and little else.  A winning strategy no doubt.

Angry Tom would have come back had he been elected PM, don't you kid yourself. He's my age & you just don't change at that point in your life with the snap of the fingers.

I dont disagree.  Im no Tom fan.  Just that I thought he did a good enough job of coming across statesmanlike and sincere.  Or sincere enough.  And I've always thought Harper delivers good speeches.  CTV briefly mentioned this while Harper was entering for his concession speech that he's very good with the media and it perplexes people why he is so standoffish with the,

But Trudeau?  Its like bad Shakespeare in the Park.  My opinion, but just seems like a guy putting on an act and not doing a very good job of it.

So, you think Trudeau is disingenuos but Mulcair not? You already said that you think the NDP did a good job of trying to change Mulcair's image from that of an angry old man to that of a caring & compassionate leader which isn't true. That's why in the past few weeks seeing his ad where Mulcair's talking softly, smiling & saying he's ready for change if we are came.  across as so phony. He looked uncomfortable talking & acting that way because that isn't him..

I voted Conservative in my riding & have always voted that way since the 74 election when I was 18, be it the Tories, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Cons. Even though I was drinking my blue kool aid I could see that Captain Steve O going down with his ship.The Cons election campaign strategy was an unmitigated didaster. Of all the ads shown by the 3 major parties, Trudeau came across the best. His "I'll tell you what I'm ready for" ad sounded the most sincere of all of the political ads combined that I saw. It was hokey but Trudeau looked like he had a chip on his shoulder thanks to the incessant Cons attack ad of him.

Not happy the Cons are out but it is what it is. But My God man, quit the whining & just get on with your life. You constantly post about how much you hate Trudeau & give the man no credit at all. Run for public office then in 4 years for the Cons & give your words some meaning. Put your money where your mouth is. . 

Are you suggesting someone cannot have an opinion that is counter to the governments (or yours) unless they are willing to run for office?

Have you every been critical of the Bombers' coaches?  If so, have you considered becoming a pro football head coach?  If not, you cant criticize.

Who is whining?  Expressing opinion here is whining?  I never said one thing about the Cons losing the election.  Get on with my life?  Who are you to tell me that?  Get over yourself.  Im sorry you and I disagree (I guess) but posting here is neither me whining nor is it some evidence that my life is on hold because the Liberals won.

Please, assemble my posts where I have repeatedly stated how much I hate Trudeau.  Please do that.

And again, why is opinion of Trudeau related to opinion of Mulcair?  If I think Mulcair is a more genuine speaker, why cant I also think Trudeau is not?

Its called opinion.  Try expressing yours without needlessly attacking other posters.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  I love it!!!  Ive been told some people dislike me because of my strong posts.  Now Im disliked for being moderate.  What sort of people get so personally bent out of shape over message board discussions!  Ha!  The election is over boys, put away the claws!

Sure are a few people here with a bone to pick this morning.  My fan club grows!

Hear! Hear!

Explain what "who, me" means in this context (if you can).  I cant wait for this!

1. I think the Liberals rethink bringing in proportional representation after getting a majority with under 40% of the vote.

3. Is this new government illegitimate since they got under 40% of the vote as Harper did?

To be fair, in a three party (more) system .. a single party getting 40% of the vote is an incredible accomplishment and a solid mandate to be sure.

The government is only illegitimate if it gets under 40% of the vote but is conservative.  If it gets under 40% of the vote but is not conservative, then its an overwhelming expression of support by the entire country. 

Ready.  Set.  GO!

He's saying all the right things so far. One of the biggest things, for me, was taking 15 minutes with the media yesterday and no questions were off limits. He wanted to make a point about how much more accessible and hands-off he was going to be with the media. Not muzzling them in any way. Maybe it changes down the road, but for now, that's a really smart way to separate yourself from the zombie robot before you.

This made me laugh as I was totally expecting this.  Of course Trudeau can be "hands off" with the media, especially right now, because they are just going to lob him softballs and extol his virtues, which is the same exact treatment his daddy got.  You guys can bash me for this (and I know you will) but the media treats the Conservatives and the NDP/Liberals differently.  I've seen it with my own eyes (and please don't ask me for specific examples).  Trudeau can be a media darling because they'll give him tons of leeway, and aren't asking "gotcha" questions that they loved asking the Conservatives.  Now that being said, if the media does turn on him eventually (except for the CBC, who will be loyal and in love with JT until doomsday) then we'll see if he starts getting more Harperish in how he controls his message.  That will be interesting.

Ok one example - I just remembered this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/16/john-baird-cbc-journalist-reporter-gaza_n_5592756.html

Will Trudeau be asked a question this stupid by the CBC?  I highly doubt it.  And this is an example of the kind of crap the Conservatives had to deal with every day.  I don't agree with the controlling of the message, but I do see why it was done.

like that a lot.

I voted Conservative in my riding & have always voted that way since the 74 election when I was 18, be it the Tories, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Cons. Even though I was drinking my blue kool aid I could see that Captain Steve O going down with his ship.The Cons election campaign strategy was an unmitigated didaster. Of all the ads shown by the 3 major parties, Trudeau came across the best. His "I'll tell you what I'm ready for" ad sounded the most sincere of all of the political ads combined that I saw. It was hokey but Trudeau looked like he had a chip on his shoulder thanks to the incessant Cons attack ad of him.

Not happy the Cons are out but it is what it is. But My God man, quit the whining & just get on with your life. You constantly post about how much you hate Trudeau & give the man no credit at all. Run for public office then in 4 years for the Cons & give your words some meaning. Put your money where your mouth is. . 

Are you suggesting someone cannot have an opinion that is counter to the governments (or yours) unless they are willing to run for office?

Have you every been critical of the Bombers' coaches?  If so, have you considered becoming a pro football head coach?  If not, you cant criticize.

Who is whining?  Expressing opinion here is whining?  I never said one thing about the Cons losing the election.  Get on with my life?  Who are you to tell me that?  Get over yourself.  Im sorry you and I disagree (I guess) but posting here is neither me whining nor is it some evidence that my life is on hold because the Liberals won.

Please, assemble my posts where I have repeatedly stated how much I hate Trudeau.  Please do that.

And again, why is opinion of Trudeau related to opinion of Mulcair?  If I think Mulcair is a more genuine speaker, why cant I also think Trudeau is not?

Its called opinion.  Try expressing yours without needlessly attacking other posters.

Attacking? LOL!  That's all you do.  People who live in glass houses first of all shouldn't criticize others & secondly should not throw stones. 

like that a lot.

Attacking? LOL!  That's all you do.  People who live in glass houses first of all shouldn't criticize others & secondly should not throw stones. 

Please list examples.

Yes, I'm guilty as charged for the crime of having an opinion. For that I am being sentenced to death by hanging. There's the gallows. Throw the lever & drop the floor. Let me hang until dead. Yea, though I walk through the Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I fear no evil. Thy rod & thy staff, they comfort me. I'm entitled to one last dinner of choice, prime rib on the barbecue. Also a cigarette & whiskey on the rocks before my execution. I also have but one last simple request... I have a letter in my back pocket for my family. Please make sure they get it & tell them... I loved them..

The government is only illegitimate if it gets under 40% of the vote but is conservative.  If it gets under 40% of the vote but is not conservative, then its an overwhelming expression of support by the entire country. 

Ready.  Set.  GO!

Yeah, I've been having a blast cutting and pasting quotes from anti-Harperites on other forums I visit where they were screaming and gnashing their teeth after the 2011 election because it was so unfair that Harper was only elected with 39% of the popular vote, and "61% of Canadians didn't vote for him".  For some reason they all are silent after JT essentially did the same thing.  It's been hilarious. 

like that a lot.

Please list examples.

Yes, I'm guilty as charged for the crime of having an opinion. For that I am being sentenced to death by hanging. There's the gallows. Throw the lever & drop the floor. Let me hang until dead. Yea, though I walk through the Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I fear no evil. Thy rod & thy staff, they comfort me. I'm entitled to one last dinner of choice, prime rib on the barbecue. Also a cigarette & whiskey on the rocks before my execution. I also have but one last simple request... I have a letter in my back pocket for my family. Please make sure they get it & tell them... I loved them..

And...I lived to see another day. Maybe you should ask for clemency. And for the record, I wasn't attacking you. I was responding about what you said about Trudeau & Mulcair. You constantly say the same things over & over & over & it comes across as whining. That Harper & the Cons can do no wrong. Well, this past election they did a lot of things wrong. You  may not agree about the whining part but that's the perception of you I get. Guess the bottom line for you & me is if we can't stand the heat then don't post. 

Ready.  Set.  GO!

Yeah, I've been having a blast cutting and pasting quotes from anti-Harperites on other forums I visit where they were screaming and gnashing their teeth after the 2011 election because it was so unfair that Harper was only elected with 39% of the popular vote, and "61% of Canadians didn't vote for him".  For some reason they all are silent after JT essentially did the same thing.  It's been hilarious. 

Some of my favourite things this week have been the pro-NDP people declaring victory.  One person I spoke with wanted Harper out because he ran deficits.  Told me to stop telling her she was wrong when I pointed out the Liberal deficit platform.  Another wanted Harper gone because of Bill C-51.  Now she's celebrating.  hmmmm.

The "illegitimate" government thing was a crock when it was used on Harper.  Its a crock if used on Trudeau too but I cant help but agree the hypocrisy is hilarious.  And before people start going off on you (or me), they cant possibly contend that the "illegitimate" government narrative was not used constantly against the Harper government.  The point is very relevant.  This new "government for all Canadians" is a great distraction from that fact its not even a government for the majority of Canadians.  lol

Oh the spin:

Harper won 162 seats in a 308 seat parliament

Trudeau won 184 seats in a 338 seat parliament

In the current parliament - Harper wouldn't even have a majority

Yes, those extra "Conservative-friendly" ridings sure did serve the party well...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  I love it!!!  Ive been told some people dislike me because of my strong posts.  Now Im disliked for being moderate.  What sort of people get so personally bent out of shape over message board discussions!  Ha!  The election is over boys, put away the claws!

Sure are a few people here with a bone to pick this morning.  My fan club grows!

What a strange response. Disliked for being moderate? How did you come up with that theory?

My theory? You don't understand what disingenuous means, so you created your own definition that would allow your response to make sense.

like that a lot.

Please list examples.

And...I lived to see another day. Maybe you should ask for clemency. And for the record, I wasn't attacking you. I was responding about what you said about Trudeau & Mulcair. You constantly say the same things over & over & over & it comes across as whining. That Harper & the Cons can do no wrong. Well, this past election they did a lot of things wrong. You  may not agree about the whining part but that's the perception of you I get. Guess the bottom line for you & me is if we can't stand the heat then don't post. 

That's the difference though.  I can stand the heat.  And I dont go off attacking posters.  You said I was whining, told me to get a life and move on.  And let's be clear, that was responding to my post about Trudeau and Mulcair which was not me saying the same thing over and over since I believe today is the only time I mentioned my feeling that Trudeay was smug and disingenuous.

So yes, that was an attack on me, not a reasonable, polite counter point to my opinion. 

whine
(h)wīn/
verb

gigive or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.
"tt
complain in a feeble or petulant way.

Neither the first nor the second.  In fact, complaining about my post might fall into the second.  But I wont hold it against you.  I think you have the bad habit of seeing differing opinions and taking them personally or not being able to see the merit or at least understand the perspective of that opinion, which causes you to lash out.

When I was in Junior High, taking debate our teacher insisted we debate both sides saying we cant learn to argue our opinion if we cant successfully argue the opposing perception.  I think I see all sides a lot better than many here.  But I do have strong opinions.  But I do not attack people.  How many people in this thread have complained to a Mod about someone else?  Not me.  How many people in this thread have had posts deleted?  Not me, other than when I quoted someone who was deleted (mods can correct me if I am wrong on that point).

This is a community not a battle ground. 

If you're offering up an apology, Ill readily accept it.