Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Harpers demise started with airing of the he's just not ready ads 6 months ago

Agreed as it just made people angry. And it never stopped. Over & over. The Chinese guy who could barely speak English & old the blue haired guy pissed me off. I still voted Conservative as the candidates in my riding did nothing to make me vote for them. No door knocking & no campaign literature. Had the Liberal candidate did one thing I may have voted for him but he never earned my vote. Then again, Jason Kenney won by 20,000 votes so it was hopeless anyway. But still try godammit. 

I'm also in one of the 'safe con' ridings.  The Lib candidate didn't come around, but she did have a good website with pertinent info. Her background is broadcast journalism, which would be an asset to an MP, IMO. Very good candidate - she got my vote. In the end, cons retained the riding easily - by 10 000 votes.

The Libs in Calgary-Midnapore which is my riding had 50,000 people who cast ballots & even though the Lib candidate did virtually nothing for visibility in our riding still got nearly 13,000 votes so I think that speaks for the fact people still wanted change. I also think candidates who rely strictly on a flashy website to get their message across are lazy. It costs nothing to go out in the community shaking hands or door knocking handing out literature. . 

Looks like Justin's first act was to call Obama and tell him that Canada is pulling our six flying museum artifacts out of bombing missions in Iraq.  He gave no timelines as to when, and they were scheduled to be pulled out in five months anyway.  I am sure Obama got a good laugh about that one.  Anyway, Justin is keeping his promises.

Send in the Sea Kings.... They'll all crash anyway.

Agreed as it just made people angry. And it never stopped. Over & over. The Chinese guy who could barely speak English & old the blue haired guy pissed me off. I still voted Conservative as the candidates in my riding did nothing to make me vote for them. No door knocking & no campaign literature. Had the Liberal candidate did one thing I may have voted for him but he never earned my vote. Then again, Jason Kenney won by 20,000 votes so it was hopeless anyway. But still try godammit.

I'm also in one of the 'safe con' ridings. The Lib candidate didn't come around, but she did have a good website with pertinent info. Her background is broadcast journalism, which would be an asset to an MP, IMO. Very good candidate - she got my vote. In the end, cons retained the riding easily - by 10 000 votes.

The Libs in Calgary-Midnapore which is my riding had 50,000 people who cast ballots & even though the Lib candidate did virtually nothing for visibility in our riding still got nearly 13,000 votes so I think that speaks for the fact people still wanted change. I also think candidates who rely strictly on a flashy website to get their message across are lazy. It costs nothing to go out in the community shaking hands or door knocking handing out literature. .

To be honest, the assumption is that Hutterites will vote Conservative - with good reason. Not much incentive for a Liberal or NDP candidate to visit a Hutterite community

I'm also in one of the 'safe con' ridings. The Lib candidate didn't come around, but she did have a good website with pertinent info. Her background is broadcast journalism, which would be an asset to an MP, IMO. Very good candidate - she got my vote. In the end, cons retained the riding easily - by 10 000 votes.

To be honest, the assumption is that Hutterites will vote Conservative - with good reason. Not much incentive for a Liberal or NDP candidate to visit a Hutterite community

Okay, well your situation is unique. But in other ridings...

Very impressed with Justin's demeanour, he is not like his fiery dad at all.

He seems calm, kind, and decent.

went to the subway to meet people today, after becoming PM last night. 

like that a lot.

I find him smug and disingenuous.  Maybe it's his acting background but he always seems to be putting on a bad performance.  I thought his victory speech was very smug and while Harper and Mulcair were gracious in defeat, he took some veiled shots.  Maybe its just the way he is and he's being genuine.  But he doesnt come across that way to me at all.

And its not my bias talking as I thought Mulcair had done a good job of putting the Angry Tom stuff behind him and was pretty genuine in his speeches and I would never vote for him.  Trudeau reminds me a bit of of Obama except Obama is a much better public speaker.  But they both ran on "change" and little else.  A winning strategy no doubt.

Kelowna-Lake Country.

My riding is one of the safest Conservative ridings in the country. Has been conservative or Reform since 1968. Cons got 60% of the vote last time.

It went liberal.

Did your Liberal candidate work hard to make herself known or was it the "Red Wave" similar to the "Orange Crush" here in AB that got the NDP elected? An anti establishment vote saying people wanted change?

like that a lot.

I find him smug and disingenuous.  Maybe it's his acting background but he always seems to be putting on a bad performance.  I thought his victory speech was very smug and while Harper and Mulcair were gracious in defeat, he took some veiled shots.  Maybe its just the way he is and he's being genuine.  But he doesnt come across that way to me at all.

And its not my bias talking as I thought Mulcair had done a good job of putting the Angry Tom stuff behind him and was pretty genuine in his speeches and I would never vote for him.  Trudeau reminds me a bit of of Obama except Obama is a much better public speaker.  But they both ran on "change" and little else.  A winning strategy no doubt.

Angry Tom would have come back had he been elected PM, don't you kid yourself. He's my age & you just don't change at that point in your life with the snap of the fingers.

e has a temper & if elected he wouldn't have cared.

Im not sure polling would support that.  Unless you're suggesting those adds triggered a very small amount of backlash that grew over time.  Those ads ran for a long time and the polling didnt show a Liberal surge until much later.

The Cons were wise to the Liberals as their chief nemesis before the polls turned though, so you could be right.  People in this thread talked about how the Cons were going after the Liberals even when the NDP were surging.  They knew where the opposition was.

I think the result is twofold:  People buying into the "change" concept, which brought out a lot of younger voters, as it did in the US.  and people being wise enough to switch from NDP to Liberal to oust the Conservatives. 

like that a lot.

Angry Tom would have come back had he been elected PM, don't you kid yourself. He's my age & you just don't change at that point in your life with the snap of the fingers.

I dont disagree.  Im no Tom fan.  Just that I thought he did a good enough job of coming across statesmanlike and sincere.  Or sincere enough.  And I've always thought Harper delivers good speeches.  CTV briefly mentioned this while Harper was entering for his concession speech that he's very good with the media and it perplexes people why he is so standoffish with the,

But Trudeau?  Its like bad Shakespeare in the Park.  My opinion, but just seems like a guy putting on an act and not doing a very good job of it.

I'm in Calgary Shepard and it was the same thing, the Liberal and NDP candidates put up some signs but that's it. The Conservative candidate put in more effort than the other 3 parties combined and that's knowing that this riding was likely a lock for the Conservatives anyway. He even showed up at my door in the summer well before the election was even called, His team came by my door several times during the election... I had to vote for him because if he's going to put in that much effort in a lock riding I'd like to think he'd put in that kind of effort in Ottawa. The Liberal candidate though, I didn't even know what he looked like until I went to the Liberal website to find out anything about the guy. 

like that a lot.

I dont disagree.  Im no Tom fan.  Just that I thought he did a good enough job of coming across statesmanlike and sincere.  Or sincere enough.  And I've always thought Harper delivers good speeches.  CTV briefly mentioned this while Harper was entering for his concession speech that he's very good with the media and it perplexes people why he is so standoffish with the,

But Trudeau?  Its like bad Shakespeare in the Park.  My opinion, but just seems like a guy putting on an act and not doing a very good job of it.

Really, you're bashing Trudeau as coming across as not genuine?  You have watched Stephen Harper before right?  You have seen the "Netflix Tax" video?  I mean the guy is brutal.  He can barely speak in front of people without sounding like a monotone voice just droning on and on.

I didnt see any of the candidates in my area (Winnipeg South) but Im not home that often.  A ton of lawn signs though and I had a sign from Day 1 so I dont know if that makes the other candidates avoid coming to the door.  Then my gf plopped a Green Party sign next to my Conservative sign.

I found the signage this election to be rather obnoxious.  I live on a corner lot so they placed two small signs (one facing each street) but there were a ton of properties with several signs.  The Liberal signs were larger and would be wall-papered over fences and whatnot.

like that a lot.

Really, you're bashing Trudeau as coming across as not genuine?  You have watched Stephen Harper before right?  You have seen the "Netflix Tax" video?  I mean the guy is brutal.  He can barely speak in front of people without sounding like a monotone voice just droning on and on.

Im not bashing Trudeau.  Im giving my opinion.  Im not sure how Harper being poor on speeches impacts Trudeau being good.  is it possible for two people to both be bad?  Regardless, I find Harper fine on speeches and interviews (as I noted CTV analysts remarked the same thing) where as I find Trudeau to use cliches and platitudes and to come across disingenuous.

If you think he sounds sincere and genuine, then terrific for you.  Im not telling you your perception is incorrect.  Just expressing my opinion which is shared by others also.

Kelowna-Lake Country.

My riding is one of the safest Conservative ridings in the country. Has been conservative or Reform since 1968. Cons got 60% of the vote last time.

It went liberal.

Did your Liberal candidate work hard to make herself known or was it the "Red Wave" similar to the "Orange Crush" here in AB that got the NDP elected? An anti establishment vote saying people wanted change?

HE didn't seem to do a lot. I might be mistaken, but certainly didn't cross my path.

You have watched Stephen Harper before right?  You have seen the "Netflix Tax" video?  I mean the guy is brutal.  He can barely speak in front of people without sounding like a monotone voice just droning on and on.

The Netflix commercial almost seemed like a parody of himself. Took his robotic, monotone delivery to the next level.

Kelowna-Lake Country.

It went liberal.

actually, Kelowna went Liberal in the 1968 election thanks to Trudeaumania. Other than that one election,, it was always Conservative/Reform.  The Liberal candidate did a lot of work (I'm not in his riding) from what I saw, he had tons of signs up and claims that he knocked on thousands of doors, according to an interview I saw.  He also had the Club Penguin guys on his side, and they brought a lot of clout.  From what I saw and heard, he deserved the win.  I just think that just like in 1968, this is going to be a one-term Liberal riding.

What they say is more important than how they say it.  Or it should be. 

So why are you making an issue out of Trudeau's delivery?

I'm not.  Someone else mentioned his speech and I expressed my opinion.  Im sorry, are we only expressing certain opinions here?

Actually you're criticizing, not making an opinion.

He's saying all the right things so far. One of the biggest things, for me, was taking 15 minutes with the media yesterday and no questions were off limits. He wanted to make a point about how much more accessible and hands-off he was going to be with the media. Not muzzling them in any way. Maybe it changes down the road, but for now, that's a really smart way to separate yourself from the zombie robot before you.