Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Well basically the way I see it is this: each party has their base that doesn't really change much, the swing comes from where the "**** Harper, get rid of him no matter who it is" segment of the population rests their vote. For a while it appeared like the NDP were getting all that support, but if the Liberals are starting to climb then it likely means some of that vote is shifting to them and if it continues it will be hard for the NDP to actually finish ahead of the conservatives. 

The Cons have already stacked that deck in the best way they could…a very long election period when the Cons have built up the largest war chest of any party.

And, of course, the taxpayer will also pay more , seeing as a longer campaign costs more. Oh, and the parties are also reimbursed for half the money they spend during the campaign. 

Must be nice to see the taxpayer pay half…for all the bickering and attacks.

oh trust me...I have a great one managing my portfolio......but still. I don't want the NDP sending us into a  tailspin, either.

Interesting that you don't mention what the economy has been going through with the current Fed. Gov.

Yeah, stupid Harper and his plans hurting the entire world markets.  What Harper did to Greece is ridiculous.

What we need is a strong NDP government to come in, raise taxes, destroy jobs in Canada's energy sector and increase spending.  That will save the whole world. ;-)

It's weird that even with the evidence what the Harper Gov. is spinning badly that the NDP are being mentioned, when their name has not been brought up. It's what we have. The Liberals, the NDP, and the Conservatives.

Again, I want to stipulate that I'm not endorsing anybody..just trying to make people aware that our Gov. needs to do better than what we have been presented with by the current party in charge.

oh trust me...I have a great one managing my portfolio......but still. I don't want the NDP sending us into a  tailspin, either.

Interesting that you don't mention what the economy has been going through with the current Fed. Gov.

Yeah, stupid Harper and his plans hurting the entire world markets.  What Harper did to Greece is ridiculous.

What we need is a strong NDP government to come in, raise taxes, destroy jobs in Canada's energy sector and increase spending.  That will save the whole world. ;-)

It's weird that even with the evidence what the Harper Gov. is spinning badly that the NDP are being mentioned, when their name has not been brought up. It's what we have. The Liberals, the NDP, and the Conservatives.

Again, I want to stipulate that I'm not endorsing anybody..just trying to make people aware that our Gov. needs to do better than what we have been presented with by the current party in charge.

They may do things to piss us off, but so did the Liberals before they got the boot and given the track record of all those provincial NDP governments I want no part of them in power federally so I hold my nose and vote for the Conservatives. Until the Liberals wake up and realize that there's more to the country than Ontario and trying to placate Quebec they're un-electable out here. 

Its unlikely to find a party that is "perfect".  The debate I often have with friends is, they will come up with one thing that bothers them about Harper and Ill rattle off several things about the opposition.  The point being, you have to find the party that over-all will be best for the country.  Certain issues have greater weight to us as individuals ofcourse but I cant imagine having any one party being absolutely perfect on all issues.

Economy is important and while the Conservatives arent perfect, I cant fathom a federal NDP government.  I mean, realistically, if Mulcair thinks the economy sucks right now under Harper, Harper's reply should be "yeah but imagine the economy with you in charge."  "It cant get much worse".  Oh yes it can.

Plus one of my biggest problems with the NDP is they are generally on the isolationist side of things not wanting to fully embrace global markets. Then there's the fact that they seem to want to meddle in provincial affairs from a federal level, that bothers me a lot.

This McQuaig faux pas has really opened a can of worms for the NDP, a can it didn't want to see open, but was inevitable.  The NDP are trying to please too many diametrically opposed interests, and in the end, they will end up pleasing no one.  First they have Quebec, who somehow wants Alberta shut down but still wants Alberta to send them giant welfare cheques every month, then you have the loony-tune leftists like Linda McQuaig who think money grows on trees and so it's fine to kill billions of dollars of economic activity to meet social engineering goals, and then you have the rest of Canada, who actually pays the freight.

Here's an exchange that an Albertan had with an NDP campaign worker last week.  This must make all Albertans feel awesome about the NDP:

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 3:06 pm I called the office of Linda McQuaig (NDP Candidate for Toronto Centre ) based on her recent comments about Oil Sands in Canada and specifically Alberta. The NDP Toronto Centre office at 416-657-2531 was the specific number that was called. The phone conversation was on speaker and minutes were taken by our Executive Assistant, Joseph Zwiek and is as follows:

Female Campaign Worker:

Hello, this is the Linda McQuaig Campaign Office, How may I help you? (Very polite and professional).

Craig Chandler:

Is Linda McQuaig available?

Female Campaign Worker:

No, I am sorry she is not available at the moment. Is there anything I could do to help?

Craig Chandler:

Well, I will explain who I am and my concerns. My name is Craig Chandler and I am the Executive Director of the Alberta Business & Taxpayer's Coalition (ABTC). The ABTC is Calgary's largest and Alberta's fastest growing business and taxpayer's organization and we have serious concerns about what Linda McQuaig has been espousing about Alberta and more specifically the Oil Sands.

Female Campaign Worker:

Sir, I can't help you, but, I will put you on the phone with someone who can. Just one moment.

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Female Campaign Worker:

Sir, just one moment Josh will be right with you.

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Josh:

(heard clearly in the background “I will end this conversation quickly”) Hello?

Craig Chandler:

Yes this is Craig Chandler and I am the Executive Director of the Alberta Business & Taxpayer's Coalition (ABTC). The ABTC
is Calgary's largest and Alberta's fastest growing business and taxpayer's organization and we have serious concerns about what Linda McQuaig has been espousing about Alberta and more specifically the Oil Sands.

Josh:

Oh I know what you are most likely referring to and that was never said.

Craig Chandler:

Josh her comment of “Alberta's oilsands may need to remain undeveloped in order for Canada to meet its climate change targets and there should not be a rush to extract from the oilsands....”

And "A lot of the oilsands oil may have to stay in the ground if we're going to meet our climate change targets" is very concerning.

Josh , I am also concerned about your leader and his double speak with saying different things in French and English Canada.

Josh:

This is not true, look at the CBC website, as they changed it for us.

Craig Chandler:

It was said and delivered via main stream media and social media. I can send you all the links if you wish. I am frustrated that you are not taking my concerns seriously. If your party does form government, you are supposed to represent all Canadians despite their choice on the ballot.

Josh:

Oh just like Stephen Harper represented everyone of us right? Oh but, be rest assured, we are taking your concerns seriously (Chuckling, rude and hostile).

Craig Chandler:

Josh , I am not managing any campaign in this election. I am contacting you as an Albertan with a legitimate concern. I may be personally voting Conservative, but, that is not what this communication is about in any way.

Josh:

Well there we go! (very hostile). As an Albertan your concerns are and will be irrelevant (Josh hung up).

This McQuaig faux pas has really opened a can of worms for the NDP, a can it didn't want to see open, but was inevitable.  The NDP are trying to please too many diametrically opposed interests, and in the end, they will end up pleasing no one.  First they have Quebec, who somehow wants Alberta shut down but still wants Alberta to send them giant welfare cheques every month, then you have the loony-tune leftists like Linda McQuaig who think money grows on trees and so it's fine to kill billions of dollars of economic activity to meet social engineering goals, and then you have the rest of Canada, who actually pays the freight.

Here's an exchange that an Albertan had with an NDP campaign worker last week.  This must make all Albertans feel awesome about the NDP:

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 3:06 pm I called the office of Linda McQuaig (NDP Candidate for Toronto Centre ) based on her recent comments about Oil Sands in Canada and specifically Alberta. The NDP Toronto Centre office at 416-657-2531 was the specific number that was called. The phone conversation was on speaker and minutes were taken by our Executive Assistant, Joseph Zwiek and is as follows:

Female Campaign Worker:

Hello, this is the Linda McQuaig Campaign Office, How may I help you? (Very polite and professional).

Craig Chandler:

Female Campaign Worker:

No, I am sorry she is not available at the moment. Is there anything I could do to help?

Craig Chandler:

Well, I will explain who I am and my concerns. My name is Craig Chandler and I am the Executive Director of the Alberta Business & Taxpayer's Coalition (ABTC). The ABTC is Calgary's largest and Alberta's fastest growing business and taxpayer's organization and we have serious concerns about what Linda McQuaig has been espousing about Alberta and more specifically the Oil Sands.

Female Campaign Worker:

Sir, I can't help you, but, I will put you on the phone with someone who can. Just one moment.

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Female Campaign Worker:

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Yes this is Craig Chandler and I am the Executive Director of the Alberta Business & Taxpayer's Coalition (ABTC). The ABTC

is Calgary's largest and Alberta's fastest growing business and taxpayer's organization and we have serious concerns about what Linda McQuaig has been espousing about Alberta and more specifically the Oil Sands.

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Josh her comment of “Alberta's oilsands may need to remain undeveloped in order for Canada to meet its climate change targets and there should not be a rush to extract from the oilsands....”

And "A lot of the oilsands oil may have to stay in the ground if we're going to meet our climate change targets" is very concerning.

Josh , I am also concerned about your leader and his double speak with saying different things in French and English Canada.

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

It was said and delivered via main stream media and social media. I can send you all the links if you wish. I am frustrated that you are not taking my concerns seriously. If your party does form government, you are supposed to represent all Canadians despite their choice on the ballot.

Josh:

Oh just like Stephen Harper represented everyone of us right? Oh but, be rest assured, we are taking your concerns seriously (Chuckling, rude and hostile).

Craig Chandler:

Josh , I am not managing any campaign in this election. I am contacting you as an Albertan with a legitimate concern. I may be personally voting Conservative, but, that is not what this communication is about in any way.

Josh:

Well there we go! (very hostile). As an Albertan your concerns are and will be irrelevant (Josh hung up).

Yikes.

A ton of arrogance in the NDP.  It isnt always the case but I find generally, right leaning people feel that they have an opinion and we should all discuss out opinions.  And left leaning people there are no opinions, only facts which they decide upon and everyone else who disagrees is wrong and/or irrelevant.  Like they really feel they need to rule over us to lead us out of our darkness of right-leaning positions.

Mulcair is very concerning with pandering to Quebec and the differing things he says in french versus english.  He came out and said Quebec can separate at 50+1% which the supreme court already ruled was not the case.  Didnt the NDP try to take Harper to task over disagreeing with the Court?  Here Mulcair just brushes it off in an issue that could lead the country into chaos.  It's alarming.

Well basically the way I see it is this: each party has their base that doesn't really change much, the swing comes from where the "**** Harper, get rid of him no matter who it is" segment of the population rests their vote. For a while it appeared like the NDP were getting all that support, but if the Liberals are starting to climb then it likely means some of that vote is shifting to them and if it continues it will be hard for the NDP to actually finish ahead of the conservatives. 

The Cons have already stacked that deck in the best way they could…a very long election period when the Cons have built up the largest war chest of any party.

And, of course, the taxpayer will also pay more , seeing as a longer campaign costs more. Oh, and the parties are also reimbursed for half the money they spend during the campaign. 

Must be nice to see the taxpayer pay half…for all the bickering and attacks.

I'll vote for the party most likely to do away with asinine rules like this.

Female Campaign Worker:

Craig Chandler:

Female Campaign Worker:

Craig Chandler:

Female Campaign Worker:

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Female Campaign Worker:

Craig Chandler:

Thank you.

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Josh:

Craig Chandler:

Josh:

Yikes.

A ton of arrogance in the NDP.  It isnt always the case but I find generally, right leaning people feel that they have an opinion and we should all discuss out opinions.  And left leaning people there are no opinions, only facts which they decide upon and everyone else who disagrees is wrong and/or irrelevant.  Like they really feel they need to rule over us to lead us out of our darkness of right-leaning positions.

Mulcair is very concerning with pandering to Quebec and the differing things he says in french versus english.  He came out and said Quebec can separate at 50+1% which the supreme court already ruled was not the case.  Didnt the NDP try to take Harper to task over disagreeing with the Court?  Here Mulcair just brushes it off in an issue that could lead the country into chaos.  It's alarming.

As a moderate (or centrist) Richard Jeni sums it up nicely for me...

I'd probably be considered a red conservative here in Canada, but a democrat in the current political climate in the U.S.  No one impresses me in our election so far but I lean more towards Harper I guess.  But it could be a little thing that settles it for people like me.  For instance this story really pissed me off...

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-sinking-of-the-canadian-navy/

I've just started getting into investments for the first time, so the state of the economy is my only real campaign issue this go 'round. Whoever supplies the best financial plan for a steady economic future will likely get my vote.

If the NDP is elected the investment advice will be easy - "get the hell out of Canadian stocks".

LOL - I've been getting this from every NDP person I know.  "we'll suck for sure, but the Conservatives suck too so at least you will be used to a government that sucks if we are elected".  Yeah, that's great logic.

I can't tell if you're being serious.

I've just started getting into investments for the first time, so the state of the economy is my only real campaign issue this go 'round. Whoever supplies the best financial plan for a steady economic future will likely get my vote.

If the NDP is elected the investment advice will be easy - "get the hell out of Canadian stocks".

Not necessarily. I'll still hold on to my Dollarama shares. Probably even buy more, since that's the only place people will be able to afford to shop!

LOL - I've been getting this from every NDP person I know.  "we'll suck for sure, but the Conservatives suck too so at least you will be used to a government that sucks if we are elected".  Yeah, that's great logic.

NDP supporters are telling you they know they'll suck?

If I may take a guess, I think you made up a conversation, attributed it to NDP supporters, and then used it to laugh at "their" logic.

A ton of arrogance in the NDP. It isnt always the case but I find generally, right leaning people feel that they have an opinion and we should all discuss out opinions. And left leaning people there are no opinions, only facts which they decide upon and everyone else who disagrees is wrong and/or irrelevant. Like they really feel they need to rule over us to lead us out of our darkness of right-leaning positions.

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Ofcourse I'm being serious. It's not the rule, as I said. There are arrogant ignorant conservatives and there are very intelligent pleasently New Democrats. But the majority of political statements I see, the left feels they are the torch bearers of right and wrong. The right feels there are two opinions but there's is better.

When Sun News wanted a TV network you had lefty's trying to convince the CRTC to disallow it on the grounds Canadians shouldn't hear or see a conservative perspective, free speech be damned.

People who are honestly afraid of the NDP ….  probably be disappointed if they form the government.

pretty unlikely that they will do anything substantial to rock the boat as it currently floats.

Never been in power, not going to do anything to piss too many people off , except some of their own long term party members.

People who are honestly afraid of the NDP …. probably be disappointed if they form the government.

pretty unlikely that they will do anything substantial to rock the boat as it currently floats.

Never been in power, not going to do anything to piss too many people off , except some of their own long term party members.

I generally agree that people who express a profound fear of any government is off base. It happened with the Cons too. But I don't think a majority NDP government would try to fly under the radar. I think they have a very strong sense that they need to "save" the world and will implement as many policies as possible.

And if they win a majority then you can't really blame them. That's the point of an election. If enough people want random "change" vote left then we get the government we deserve.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/the-closing-of-the-canadian-mind.html?smid=tw-share&_r=3

Article about Harper from The New York Times. Not very flattering...

Lol that's like quoting the Sun on a Trudeau article.  NYT openly leans to the left.

I don't know about the Sun comparison, but I realize they're left leaning. Regardless, I thought it was an interesting perspective from somebody outside of Canada. A look into the image we're presenting to the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/the-closing-of-the-canadian-mind.html?smid=tw-share&_r=3

Article about Harper from The New York Times. Not very flattering...

Lol that's like quoting the Sun on a Trudeau article.  NYT openly leans to the left.

I don't know about the Sun comparison, but I realize they're left leaning. Regardless, I thought it was an interesting perspective from somebody outside of Canada. A look into the image we're presenting to the world.

It's written by someone in Toronto.