Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

I don't really have a dog in the fight so I don't care. But the vast majority of people and experts come down on the side of "placebo".

Maybe they do. But the fact that Blue Cross covers it and the Mayo Clinic acknowledges that it can be effective says something. I waded into this because I know people who have definitely been helped by homeopathy. For example, chronic bronchitis for which they were given prescription after prescription by the medical system.

I don't really have a dog in the fight so I don't care. But the vast majority of people and experts come down on the side of "placebo".

Maybe they do. But the fact that Blue Cross covers it and the Mayo Clinic acknowledges that it can be effective says something. I waded into this because I know people who have definitely been helped by homeopathy. For example, chronic bronchitis for which they were given prescription after prescription by the medical system.

My grandfather thought he was sick.  Was given a placebo, unbeknownst to him, and was much improved.  Even if it's placebo effect, it can still be effective.  Im not sure I'd want a federal government making investment in it a pillar of their platform.  The health care industry could benefit from changes but more towards private delivery in my opinion.

Although personally, I avoid taking chemicals as much as possible and I believe in the power of non-traditional care.  My gf had a massage therapist she saw (who I now see as well) and she was one of those new-age spiritual people...very nice, very talented but she not only did traditional massage but other things too.  Name escapes me but spiritual techniques.  Long story short, we had a young dog that suffered a back injury, was paralyzed and needed surgery.  We got him the surgery and along with traditional rehab, took him to this person who did a technique that never actually touched our dog's body.  I was skeptical but I was sitting there as she "pulled" the bad energy out and saw various colours.  I was reluctant to admit it... but I saw it.  And it seemed to help our dog too.  So Im not a detractor. 

I think using wi-fi as an example, maybe 100 years from now we will all realise there were harmful effects.  But you're not putting the genie back in the bottle at this point.  I think a national leader cant be publicly expressing her happiness over not having wi-fi due to its harmful effects...I think thats a bit goofy.  The leader has to be a leader for all people.  I dont mind having people pushing the government to be thoughtful on issues like climate change and whatnot, but May isnt a politician, she's a lobbyist.

Have to lol at the dislike for Elizabeth May, and the cherry picking about what she does and doesn't think.

can't trust her cause she accepts homeopathy. That's it. every other thing she says, thinks, does, is irrelevant.

lack of logical thinking on this site is impressive.

Wanting federal money to support homeopathy is a big deal because it shows a willingness to waste public money on something with no benefit. The only effect it has is the placebo effect and there is no way quackery should be funded by the government. That the party policy supports this tells me that a vote for that party is wasted because it shows how poor their judgement is in a significant area. What else do they have these kinds of poor judgement on?

FYI blue cross covers homeopathy.  But I guess it's all a placebo effect just because you say it is.

No it's all the placebo effect because that's what all the scientific studies say it is. Yeah I am sure people can come up with examples of someone getting better after taking it.... but that's the placebo effect. There is no basis in science for homeopathy. It's no different than praying for someone to get better. Maybe it gives someone peace of mind of lets them think they're doing something but it is not a replacement for actual real medicine that has a strong scientific backing. 

Have to lol at the dislike for Elizabeth May, and the cherry picking about what she does and doesn't think.

can't trust her cause she accepts homeopathy. That's it. every other thing she says, thinks, does, is irrelevant.

Wanting federal money to support homeopathy is a big deal because it shows a willingness to waste public money on something with no benefit. The only effect it has is the placebo effect and there is no way quackery should be funded by the government. That the party policy supports this tells me that a vote for that party is wasted because it shows how poor their judgement is in a significant area. What else do they have these kinds of poor judgement on?

FYI blue cross covers homeopathy.  But I guess it's all a placebo effect just because you say it is.

No it's all the placebo effect because that's what all the scientific studies say it is. Yeah I am sure people can come up with examples of someone getting better after taking it.... but that's the placebo effect. There is no basis in science for homeopathy. It's no different than praying for someone to get better. Maybe it gives someone peace of mind of lets them think they're doing something but it is not a replacement for actual real medicine that has a strong scientific backing.

Dude you need to just stop.

Fwiw my benefits also cover Christian science practitioners

Many providers are going with a Health Spending Account where the extra benefits are not specified and you can basically spend your portion on whatever health care you want.  I work for a very large local company, bent over a computer all day and we dont even get massage or any sort of "health spending" so we cant even pick our own alternative care. 

Dude you need to just stop.

Why? Should we invest money in witch doctors too? Maybe the government gives out leeches to everyone to drain the bad blood out. Bullshit medicine is bullshit medicine. It's dangerous because there are people who actually believe in that. 

natural remedies OK I can get behind stuff like that but some things are quackery full stop. 

There is a hell of a lot of good in naturopathic medicine, and it needs to be looked at more and more. I'm not familiar with homeopathic methods, but I do know it falls under the "umbrella" of naturopathic medicine.

The word quackery is thrown around pretty easily by some and should be reserved for use by Daffy and the boys.

Bad medicine and bad medicine practices are still lurking in the background, and the whole system needs to be looked at.

perhaps this is the problem, perhaps people are lumping two different things together... naturopathic I got no problems with, there is merit to that because a lot of the beneficial elements of natural remedies are the things they capture for medicines, but homeopathy is something else entirely. 

Why? Should we invest money in witch doctors too? Maybe the government gives out leeches to everyone to drain the bad blood out. Bullshit medicine is bullshit medicine. It's dangerous because there are people who actually believe in that. 

natural remedies OK I can get behind stuff like that but some things are quackery full stop.

everyone just needs a good donkey-kickin'...or an "ear-nail"...

Liberals climbing is bad news for the NDP. 

It's so difficult to get a pulse of the nation, living in AB, because everyone here is just SO dyed-in-the-wool Blue, and anti-everything-else......it's interesting to me to see polling numbers and try to get an idea of what's happening out east.

Did you know the NDP just got caught in BC paying canvassers different wages? English speaker 17 and hour, Punjabi 13 and hour.

I think it will be a close election and as of now the NDP will win (which scares me). I think most people don't research issues though and really look into things. An example, it sounds nice to say tax the wealthy (cause people think thats not them) or help the middle class. However who is the wealthy and the middle class? Do you know that the median income for a two parent family is $84,000 but for a single parent its $40,000? Yet, I know lots of two parent families makes more than that who whine about helping families and yeah it's not the ones makes $40,000 or under they are worried about.

You're right.  Thats why the trend is that people grow more conservative as they age.  When you're young and have nothing or are just starting a family, having the government take care of you and give you everything sounds wonderful.  When you're older and make your own money you start thinking maybe you should be able to keep your money and look after yourself.

I've just started getting into investments for the first time, so the state of the economy is my only real campaign issue this go 'round. Whoever supplies the best financial plan for a steady economic future will likely get my vote.

I've just started getting into investments for the first time, so the state of the economy is my only real campaign issue this go 'round. Whoever supplies the best financial plan for a steady economic future will likely get my vote.

You'd be better off talking to a good investment advisor. They know their stuff and can relate to the market in a way that circumvents whichever Political party is in charge. Doesn't mean you have to ignore which party you feel most comfortable with.

Liberals climbing is bad news for the NDP. 

It's so difficult to get a pulse of the nation, living in AB, because everyone here is just SO dyed-in-the-wool Blue, and anti-everything-else......it's interesting to me to see polling numbers and try to get an idea of what's happening out east.

Well basically the way I see it is this: each party has their base that doesn't really change much, the swing comes from where the "**** Harper, get rid of him no matter who it is" segment of the population rests their vote. For a while it appeared like the NDP were getting all that support, but if the Liberals are starting to climb then it likely means some of that vote is shifting to them and if it continues it will be hard for the NDP to actually finish ahead of the conservatives. 

oh trust me...I have a great one managing my portfolio......but still. I don't want the NDP sending us into a  tailspin, either.

Interesting that you don't mention what the economy has been going through with the current Fed. Gov.

Governments don't have as much impact on the economy as people think. This current down turn was going to happen no matter who was in power. Markets are down all over the world, the price of oil is real low, these are things Canada really can't do much about. My concern with an NDP government is their willingness to treat corporations as their own personal piggy banks.

oh trust me...I have a great one managing my portfolio......but still. I don't want the NDP sending us into a  tailspin, either.

Interesting that you don't mention what the economy has been going through with the current Fed. Gov.

Yeah, stupid Harper and his plans hurting the entire world markets.  What Harper did to Greece is ridiculous.

What we need is a strong NDP government to come in, raise taxes, destroy jobs in Canada's energy sector and increase spending.  That will save the whole world. ;-)