Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

I like the idea of cbc. A taxpayer funded news source that can report the news as they see fit with out any pressure from advertisers. Its nothing like that in reality though and it definitely shouldn't produce all these dramas and comedies that no one watches at the taxpayers expense.

As the Conservative's Minister of Propaganda, it's TUP's job to know these things.

Someone needs to be.  The majority of mainstream media is the official propaganda department for the NDP.

does that seem particularly realistic? why would the major media corporations that are themselves large corporations and their advertisers are all major corporations post a NDP agenda?

It's the way it is. Maybe not necessarily as far left as the NDP. Look at the U.S. where people deride Fox which is right leaning and incredibly popular because it's the one news station that is right leaning.

Most mainstream media is left.

or you're right leaning and anything to the center appears left to you.

I'm actually more center myself. I used to be far more center in years past. So I'm pretty realistic about coverage.

More center? Used to be far more centre? Like middle? Or far more middle? That kind of thing?

That's funny. Not far center funny, but funny.

I'm actually more center myself. I used to be far more center in years past. So I'm pretty realistic about coverage.

Yes you extol the virtues of the conservative party, the most central of all the parties. And the mainstream media is left leaning, but not just left of you, left of center, cause you're in the center. But they aren't so left leaning that they are exactly like the NDP, they are slightly right of the left, which oddly enough, isn't actually the center, cause that's where you are.

Going back several years, when polls were done of the parlimentary press gallery, the majority aligned themselves with the NDP so calling the media in the country left leaning isn't that crazy of a statement.

Consider this one, 2004, 2006 any Conservative candidate who said or had said anything crazy or controversial, tons of media coverage (rightly so), NDP in 2015, not to the same degree.

Going back several years, when polls were done of the parlimentary press gallery, the majority aligned themselves with the NDP so calling the media in the country left leaning isn't that crazy of a statement.

Consider this one, 2004, 2006 any Conservative candidate who said or had said anything crazy or controversial, tons of media coverage (rightly so), NDP in 2015, not to the same degree.

You're totally right

You're totally right

Can you find specific examples of things that were glossed over? I would say on aggregate its easier to find a controversial thing said by conservative party memeber as their social values don't mirror most Canadians. Last election ctv ran a story about how many times mulclair has remortgaged his home to suggest bad financial management. Not exactly ndp friendly.

Linda McQuaig on the passing of Hugo Chavez: "For those concerned with social justice, Chavez’s passing is a sad milestone. It will surely be a while before we’ll see such a feisty mix of Robin Hood, Che Guevara and Michael Bublé straddling the world stage."

Chavez shut down more than 30 TV and radio stations that were critical of him. Murder rate triples. Wide spread corruption etc.

I don't see a ton of media articles on her or pieces on tv and radio despite her having some pretty far left views. I did see a ton on the old guy at the Duffy trial though.

The NDP has said they'd rip of the Clarity Act and have members who have separtist ties. How many articles have you read on that?

Can you find specific examples of things that were glossed over? I would say on aggregate its easier to find a controversial thing said by conservative party memeber as their social values don't mirror most Canadians. Last election ctv ran a story about how many times mulclair has remortgaged his home to suggest bad financial management. Not exactly ndp friendly.

I'd like to know why more isn't being made about the $2.7 million that those 68 Quebec NDP MP's funneled out of the Parliamentary Office into Quebec. The NDP were caught dead to rights lying about the location of their employees, and were told by the governing body to pay it back, and yet they refuse. It's total bullshit. The NDP's callous disregard for taxpayer funds is just sickening. But yet, there's the media, totally ignoring it.

I'd like to know why more isn't being made about the $2.7 million that those 68 Quebec NDP MP's funneled out of the Parliamentary Office into Quebec. The NDP were caught dead to rights lying about the location of their employees, and were told by the governing body to pay it back, and yet they refuse. It's total bullshit. The NDP's callous disregard for taxpayer funds is just sickening. But yet, there's the media, totally ignoring it.

Its absolutely hilarious and the easiest example of media bias.  Harper gets asked aboyut the Duffy trial at every campaign stop.  We're tlaking $90,000 that Harper immediately ordered Dufty to pay back, booted him out and now we have a trial.  if anything, the Conservatives should be applauded for how they handled it.  The NDP refuse to pay back MILLIONS and no one asks them about it.  I suspect the Cons might be saving it for later in the campaign but Im surprised Harper doesnt reply to every Duffy question with a question about the NDP.

There is a Free press story going around, behind their pay wall so I havent read it, but what I glean is the federal NDP think highly of the provincial NDP's economic record?  Yikes.  There ya go, Manitobans.  If you wouldnt want Selinger as Prime Minister, dont vote for Mulcair's NDP.

Linda McQuaig on the passing of Hugo Chavez: "For those concerned with social justice, Chavez’s passing is a sad milestone. It will surely be a while before we’ll see such a feisty mix of Robin Hood, Che Guevara and Michael Bublé straddling the world stage."

Chavez shut down more than 30 TV and radio stations that were critical of him. Murder rate triples. Wide spread corruption etc.

I don't see a ton of media articles on her or pieces on tv and radio despite her having some pretty far left views. I did see a ton on the old guy at the Duffy trial though.

The NDP has said they'd rip of the Clarity Act and have members who have separtist ties. How many articles have you read on that?

I'm sick of people saying how great Chavez and Che were. They were murderers and corrupted a-holes.

Sad to see young people wearing Che shirts and even hammer/sickle shirts with no idea of what those people were responsible for.

Here you go...

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair was studiously, politely evasive when asked why Manitoba’s most prominent New Democrat was invisible when the federal campaigner was in town last week. Premier Greg Selinger took no spot on a podium, nor was he in the audience at the NDP’s rally Thursday night.

Mr. Mulcair told reporters he had seen the premier, but as for sharing the spotlight, well the federal NDP wants to focus on bringing its message forward, across the country, he stressed.

It’s not that the federal Opposition leader had nothing good to say about Canada’s least popular premier. In fact, "Greg and his government have done an amazing job, for example of keeping unemployment low," he told one interviewer.

That’s conspicuously faint praise from the man who has been heard to extol the fiscal prudence of past NDP premiers, including Manitoba’s Gary Doer.

There wasn’t a lot of that brotherly back-slapping this time around. The provincial NDP is struggling to get a little bit of love out of Manitobans, still sore about a surprise hike to the PST and the government’s inability to tame deficits that have added more than $8 billion onto the province’s debt since 2010.

That painted Mr. Mulcair into a bit of a corner, when his campaign touched ground in Winnipeg.

He couldn’t embrace the Selinger government and its economic performance.

But an overt attempt to distance his campaign from the policies of the provincial government would jeopardize the door-knocking campaign of federal NDPers who rely on the support of party volunteers.

Federally, Mr. Mulcair and the party have accused the Harper Conservatives of mismanaging Canada’s economy and finances, pointing most recently to the Parliamentary Budget Office’s projection of a deficit for 2015/16. Stephen Harper’s fiscal management plan doesn’t work and is hurting Canadians, the NDP insists.

For his part, Mr. Mulcair has played coy about whether an NDP government would run deficits to stimulate the economy that remains fragile (Canada is on the verge of being declared officially in recession, once again). It’s a legitimate fiscal policy, supported by some economists because of the damaging effects that can flow from restraint.

It’s also something Greg Selinger uses to defend his successive deficits and his administration’s refusal to commit to a hard and fast deadline for getting back to black.

These are early days, still, in the federal election campaign. It’s the honeymoon period when parties typically roll out pricey promises to catch the attention of the electorate while voting intentions are still relatively soft.

The parties are costing out their promises, but not their platforms. That usually comes after the halfway point of a campaign, but with this long campaign, who knows? For now, there’s some elbow room for temporary ambiguity on the fiscal policy. (While the Conservatives are holding fast to a balanced budge, Justin Trudeau’s Liberals have refused to commit on whether they would balance the budget until getting a good look at the books.)

The NDP, however, has to contend with a historical view it is the "tax-and-spend" party, to reshape itself into a more centrist alternative to the Tories, to win the support of those who could otherwise vote Liberal.

That is why Mr. Mulcair opted to go it alone on his public appearances in Manitoba. Grip-and-grin sessions with a premier with a proven spending problem would be bad political optics. The last thing the federal NDP wants is to make Manitobans, and Canadians, nervous.

"Greg and his government have done an amazing job".

How is that not THE headline on every newspaper, news broadcast, blog post, twitter, etc in Manitoba today?

If Im the Conservative (and liberal) candidates in Manitoba, thats my main talking point.  Do you want a federal NDP government that thinks Greg Selinger has done an amazing job?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/08/23/politicians-cant-figure-out-how-to-implement-universal-child-care

Promising Canadians a national “universal” child care program may make for good politics. But ask any politician to tell you how it would actually work — and who would pay for it — and you’ll get nothing but empty platitudes.

If a national child care system capped at $15 a day for everyone and anyone who wants it seems too good to be true, it’s because it is. It’s snake oil and it’s being peddled around the country by sneaky, deceptive politicians who hope to trick people into thinking they could ever get such a plan off the ground.

The most obvious impediment to a national “universal” child care system is that child care is a provincial jurisdiction. Provinces already run highly regulated and well-funded child care programs. The reason federal parties want to horn in on those is because child care is a motherhood and apple pie issue and politicians like the NDP’s Thomas Mulcair are looking for ways to capitalize on it politically.

The strings — like the $15 cap — would have to be negotiated with the provinces. The NDP is proposing to cover 60% of the cost of each new child care spot if the provinces adhere to whatever conditions are set.

In Manitoba, for example, parents pay a regulated price of $20.80 a day for a pre-school child in a licenced, regulated child care centre that receives provincial government funding.

Under the $15-a-day scheme, the province would have to agree to bring those prices down to $15. Obviously the provinces would demand compensation for that

In order to expand child care capacity so that everyone and anyone who wants a child care space could get one, the province would have to build more child care centres. Who’s going to pay for those? Would they be cost-shared with the feds?

Neither the NDP nor the Liberals, who proposed a national child care program 10 years ago, have answers to any of those questions. They just keep telling us the details would be “negotiated” with the provinces.

Under the NDP’s national plan, how long would people have to wait? A year? Three years? No one knows.

What’s being proposed is that every Canadian who wants a child care spot would be able to get one in a price-regulated, one-size-fits all national program. And that’s pure folly.