Positives?

BBlink

I think for the most part the talent is in place and they're coming together as a team. This was by far the best results the D. has shown this year, despite the displeasure people have with Hurl.

Looking forward to next weeks game with EE and expect the Bombers to win comfortably.

You are underestimating the Esks. Given Stampeders injuries, I can see Edmonton finishing first in the West and even with Nichols as QB, Winnipeg will have their hands full. In fact, I'll be surprised if Winnipeg betters the Esks, which makes the blown opportunity against Calgary even more regrettable.

I don't think so, both of their victories have come over the RB's and with Nichols at the controls bad things are going to happen. If Willy plays consistently and the offence can put a decent number of points on the board I think they will top them. I'm certainly not expecting to see a continuation of the mistakes that they made tonight. I'm expecting a game of redemption.

I agree. Reality is we eliminate our own mistakes and we owned the stamps tonight. Not sure why some argue it but 16 of Calgarys 26 points came off mistakes. One on a blocked punt. One on a Stoudemire fumble. We win easily and Calgary looks awful without our mistakes.

The problem is that we are not limiting our mistakes so we aren't winning, let alone easily.

I think for the most part the talent is in place and they're coming together as a team. This was by far the best results the D. has shown this year, despite the displeasure people have with Hurl.

Looking forward to next weeks game with EE and expect the Bombers to win comfortably.

You are underestimating the Esks. Given Stampeders injuries, I can see Edmonton finishing first in the West and even with Nichols as QB, Winnipeg will have their hands full. In fact, I'll be surprised if Winnipeg betters the Esks, which makes the blown opportunity against Calgary even more regrettable.

I don't think so, both of their victories have come over the RB's and with Nichols at the controls bad things are going to happen. If Willy plays consistently and the offence can put a decent number of points on the board I think they will top them. I'm certainly not expecting to see a continuation of the mistakes that they made tonight. I'm expecting a game of redemption.

I agree. Reality is we eliminate our own mistakes and we owned the stamps tonight. Not sure why some argue it but 16 of Calgarys 26 points came off mistakes. One on a blocked punt. One on a Stoudemire fumble. We win easily and Calgary looks awful without our mistakes.

The problem is that we are not limiting our mistakes so we aren't winning, let alone easily.

In the Bombers two victories they've made very few mistakes, so it is possible.

Terrible special teams plays, really individual brain farts by two players, Hajrullahu and Stoudermire, put 15 points (2 TD's and a single) on the board for Calgary and knocked 2 points off the board for the Bombers.  

Offence and defense played well enough to win, and win handily.  That's a positive, which makes the negative plays that lost the game much more aggravating.

Positive...Riders are still 0 - 4.

All three facets of the team have contributed to losses this year but they've also contributed to the wins.  I still think we're losing the battle on defence , especially in the trenches and I lay that squarely on the front seven.  Walters fixed the O-line in one off season.  I hope he can work the same magic next off season.  

Positives:

Bass is definitely improving every week, I feel he will be a good one. Wonder how he'd look in the middle actually

Richards running over Bennet was nice to see.

Willy was solid all game, moved the ball consistently, barely any 2 and outs, less than the stamps had, outside of the INT, he had a very good game, Better than BLM that's for sure

Denmark,Adams and Moore all had solid games, Denmark and Adams in particular. 

Wheres JFG? he's invisible, saw Kohlert blocking quite a bit but JFG seemed invisible.

Cotton made chicken salad out of chicken crap at times, not enough touches for my liking but still a solid effort against a very good Calgary front 7

D seems to be getting better every week also, only gave up 312 yards or so to the Stamps, Held mitchell to what? 165, maybe 185 yards passing? The D played well enough to win. 

Just one other thing, sort of who's our guy really..

Calgary has Hughes,SASK has Chick, Montreal has Cash and Bowman, Edmonton has Sewall and etc.. Hamilton is stacked, Every team has that known Defensive Lineman, maybe 2.. Who is our guy? We don't have that guy do we? Dline and MLB are 2 areas that need to be improved, I feel those 2 areas get improved and we start to make some noises. Who's our big name guy on the Dline? we don't have one. Same with LB.. we don't have a Juwan simpson or bear woods or whoever else. we don't have an impact player like all other teams do. 

Positives:

Bass is definitely improving every week, I feel he will be a good one. Wonder how he'd look in the middle actually

Richards running over Bennet was nice to see.

Willy was solid all game, moved the ball consistently, barely any 2 and outs, less than the stamps had, outside of the INT, he had a very good game, Better than BLM that's for sure

Denmark,Adams and Moore all had solid games, Denmark and Adams in particular. 

Wheres JFG? he's invisible, saw Kohlert blocking quite a bit but JFG seemed invisible.

Cotton made chicken salad out of chicken crap at times, not enough touches for my liking but still a solid effort against a very good Calgary front 7

D seems to be getting better every week also, only gave up 312 yards or so to the Stamps, Held mitchell to what? 165, maybe 185 yards passing? The D played well enough to win. 

Just one other thing, sort of who's our guy really..

Calgary has Hughes,SASK has Chick, Montreal has Cash and Bowman, Edmonton has Sewall and etc.. Hamilton is stacked, Every team has that known Defensive Lineman, maybe 2.. Who is our guy? We don't have that guy do we? Dline and MLB are 2 areas that need to be improved, I feel those 2 areas get improved and we start to make some noises. Who's our big name guy on the Dline? we don't have one. Same with LB.. we don't have a Juwan simpson or bear woods or whoever else. we don't have an impact player like all other teams do. 

The Offense had 5 two and outs and 2 more three and outs. That's "not barely" as you would put it.  The offense generated little after the first 10 minutes of the game.  Cotton didn't touch the ball much in the second half due to poor gains on his three or four touches.  In fact, Cotton had two gains over 5 yards.  Tough to generate a running game with that kind of production.  Bombers had 27 passes and 17 rushes.  That's the typical ratio for a CFL game.

Just watched the game... AFTER reading this forum.  Was expecting a complete disaster but Bombers played a good game except for last two minutes of total collapse.

Positives

Richie Hall playing more man coverage, mixing it up - love it

DL is getting 'better' still not good

DBs hitting their stride

Our 3 receivers are money

Drew Willy is a great QB

Stoudamire will get a TD next game, callin' it

Negatives

Coaching lost us this game

Osh flubbed the timeout

Osh irrational use of the ratio

Tracey shold have sent Stoudamire in with specific instructions to get out of bounds

Almost seems like our own coaches burnt LH on that last kick

MB turtled after the half AGAIN.  This isn't going to change.  Ever.

When the going gets tough, MB abandons the run, calls max protect (with Cronk or Pontbriand) and calls Moore's number 80% of the time

Punch for punch with the champs. Let's go exorcise another demon next weekend...

Losing a game, albeit close but still losing, is exorcising a demon?  Hmmmmm, ok.

I think you are in the wrong thread bud. Not happy? there's plenty of threads today you can visit. We lost but many of the things that occurred are not our usual thing. With a minute to go we still had a chance so all is good. No reported serious injuries. Time to more on to next week.

The positives from the game are that it is now certain that the defensive front 7 needs serious upgrades.  There are no excuses when with Calgary's o-line injuries your front is not only getting no pressure, but getting absolutely dominated.

The group is mostly going to get a chance to turn it around though, because let's face it, who's out there to sign before NFL cuts?

That's okay though. It isn't as though we have 7 useless plugs up front. Now it's a situation where if these guys don't show they can be effective they're going to be searching for a job sooner rather than later.

It's sink or swim time for a lot of guys (not just on D, btw).  So yes, as far as positives go, at least as we get further into the season we're starting to separate the recurring problems from early season anomalies.

Plus as lackluster as Hurl has been as a non-factor at MLB, he is still an improvement from the negative suffered with Kuale in the middle. :unsure:

Terrible special teams plays, really individual brain farts by two players, Hajrullahu and Stoudermire, put 15 points (2 TD's and a single) on the board for Calgary and knocked 2 points off the board for the Bombers.  

Offence and defense played well enough to win, and win handily.  That's a positive, which makes the negative plays that lost the game much more aggravating.

This sums up my feelings to a tee.  I was probably angrier after this game than I was after the Hamilton game.  We had it and we gave it away.  On the bright side the mistakes made can be corrected and avoided moving forward.

Other positives....

When he wasn't bobbling kickoffs for singles, running backwards and fumbling the ball, and just running backwards for a huge poorly timed loss, I thought Stoudermire returned the ball well and was dangerous (to our advantage lol).  Hopefully he continues the good and gets rid of the bad.

We were able to stuff Cornish when it counted late in the 4th quarter.  Better late than never.

Forget the final two minutes and Willy played a decent game.  Still don't like how he handles pressure but ran the offense well enough to win.  Again just forget those final two minutes ever happened. 

Bass seems to get better every game, and Harlan/Collins/Westerman seemed to be decent on the Dline.  Noticed we got in Mitchell's face a few times, but with the Stamps patchwork Oline I would certainly hope we got some pressure.  Less said about run D the better.

Our secondary had a good game against some very talented receivers.  Mitchell didn't even crack 170 yards and was barely above 50% completion rate. Leading receiver was Rodgers with 4 catches, no one else had more than 2.  Not too shabby.

Maybe the coaches will now see that Hurl is just not suited for MLB and will try Briggs or go with an American.  Not a positive just wishful thinking on my part.

Lot of drama queens in here. Yeah they lost on a couple stupid plays, but the defense showed a lot of improvements in that game, Calgary got 2 of their TDs on turnovers and the offense did pretty well. Yeah they got bogged down at times, but the Stamps do still have a good defence themselves. Fact is the Bombers O out performed the Stamps O, just those special teams goofs that cost the game. A loss is a loss that is true and it sucks to lose a game that was there for the taking, but that game for an objective viewer should be seen as an overall positive for the team. Bass seemed to be all over the field and getting better, the DL got a lot more pressure than they had been. Cornish had some good runs but he also didn't run wild over anyone. The offense seemed to be able to move the ball most of the time. 

I guess basically what I'm saying is, get over the loss people, this wasn't a bad game at all. It was another step in what so far is a promising season. 

Lot of drama queens in here. Yeah they lost on a couple stupid plays, but the defense showed a lot of improvements in that game, Calgary got 2 of their TDs on turnovers and the offense did pretty well. Yeah they got bogged down at times, but the Stamps do still have a good defence themselves. Fact is the Bombers O out performed the Stamps O, just those special teams goofs that cost the game. A loss is a loss that is true and it sucks to lose a game that was there for the taking, but that game for an objective viewer should be seen as an overall positive for the team. Bass seemed to be all over the field and getting better, the DL got a lot more pressure than they had been. Cornish had some good runs but he also didn't run wild over anyone. The offense seemed to be able to move the ball most of the time. 

I guess basically what I'm saying is, get over the loss people, this wasn't a bad game at all. It was another step in what so far is a promising season. 

I think that's the biggest takeaway for me... Richie Hall was mixing in more man coverage and is clearly adjusting his defensive plan - really like that.  Surprisingly, he's our most creative coach right now.  Would like to see him send Bass or Randle on blitz a bit more but I think that will come.

If we had Wild in the middle, this would be a dominant team.

I think that's the biggest takeaway for me... Richie Hall was mixing in more man coverage and is clearly adjusting his defensive plan - really like that.  Surprisingly, he's our most creative coach right now.  Would like to see him send Bass or Randle on blitz a bit more but I think that will come.

Wild was not the solution to stopping the run, how soon we forget.

Wild consistently read plays, had closing speed and could get to the QB... its not his fault Etch didn't think the run game was important.

Wild consistently read plays, had closing speed and could get to the QB... its not his fault Etch didn't think the run game was important.

I'm not denying that Wild was a great player but he was out of position playing MLB.