Chris Greaves on the Move?

Atomic

I'm surprised Walters is even thinking about this considering how crappt our line has been since 2009

We don't really know if he is. That's the problem when they report these types of rumours - we don't know if it's Walters trying to make a trade or if other teams are calling Walters to see if he's available.

I'm surprised Walters is even thinking about this considering how crappt our line has been since 2009

We don't really know if he is. That's the problem when they report these types of rumours - we don't know if it's Walters trying to make a trade or if other teams are calling Walters to see if he's available.

exactly.. Walters isn't taman. he knows the value of Canadian content and the oline imo. he isn't going to screw up what progress he has made yet for a whim. if he makes a move, it will benefit us. I believe he wouldn't make a move unless it strengthened a position of weakness more needed then oline. (which i dont believe we have )

My first reaction was "WTF is Walters thinking?" but on second consideration, Greaves has been serviceable but not irreplaceable, so if we have a replacement who is as good or better as well as a good backup, lets trade for what we need. It seems to be coming down to what Goossen and Neufeld can bring to the table.

Either way you look at it, this is a great problem to have. Too many good Canadian o-linemen.

Its not too many its too many expensive Canadian Oline is the problem, signing Pickard at $200,000 per year seems to have thrown a bit a wrench into salary cap.

I sure hope he lives up to the salary. I am a big fan of Greaves and I hope the Bombers manage to keep him...

There is absolutely no way we trade Greaves. It would be monumentally stupid for Walters to do so. I don't think he is stupid, but I do think that Winnipeg Sun sportswriters trying to meet a deadline on a slow news day can be. This is pure fiction.

There is no substitute for experience. People continue to want to pencil in rookies as " potential starters" potential isn't proven. The list of potentials that were flops is endless. Pencer, Swiston et al. You can include Neufield in there as far as I'm concerned he is a band aid and therefore remains unproven "potential". Depth is critical especially in a league that is becoming tapped out on Nationals. Case in point Picard getting recycled for 200k.

There is no substitute for experience. People continue to want to pencil in rookies as " potential starters" potential isn't proven. The list of potentials that were flops is endless. Pencer, Swiston et al. You can include Neufield in there as far as I'm concerned he is a band aid and therefore remains unproven "potential". Depth is critical especially in a league that is becoming tapped out on Nationals. Case in point Picard getting recycled for 200k.

Exactly. Given everything we have heard from Walters, since he began his employment with us, about the value of the OL and it's depth this would seem a huge departure. I don't believe it for that reason. The only way I could possibly see Walters looking to trade Greaves is if Greaves asked for a trade, told the Bombers that there is no way he will re-sign, or got caught stealing Booster Juice. I think this trade rumor is a media creation.

This is created by the media forsure, as soon as we drafted a guard 2nd overall a bunch of teams most likely called about Patty and Chris. Walters did not pull the trigger. Penton probably got it from his buddy in Sask working with napkins

greaves is one of the weak links on the line, who knows , i do not think u would get alot for him in a trade , he is a a bottom half of the league in a starting right guard, but who knows, maybe with someone looking to take his job he steps up alittle,

we have not had this situation in a number of years where we have some good young o linemen, lets see how this plays out, but i do not see them trading any o lineman , maybe at cutdown date, but until then, too many things can happen in camp 

I don't think Penton made it up but I'd be very surprised if it came from the Winnipeg office.

The story probably is less "Winnipeg shopping Chris Greaves" and more "CFL teams shopping for Chris Greaves"

Teams seeing we have a glut (and I use the term loosely) of NI talent at the interior of the offensive line and are kicking the tires .. seeing if we might bite.  Can't imagine we'd get rid of Greaves .. he's been a steady, not spectacular fixture on the offensive line the last few seasons .. I wouldn't part with that easily (especially knowing how hard it is to replace and build that depth).

Something people are forgetting.... last season Greaves played between an injured January and a declining Morley... putting him between Bryant and Picard will make a huge difference...

I agree that Greaves is no all-star... but surround him with all-stars and he'll definitely help solidify the left side...

Might be a player out there who makes us better.  Might not be.  GMs should be talking every week.  Maybe Walters dialed the number.  Maybe he just picked up the phone.  So far, nothing to see here.  Maybe that changes.  Right before camp starts, GMs take stock of what they have and what they might need.  It's a good time to explore a deal.

As for Greaves, his best year was above average, but I don't see him ever being a CFL all star.  It's a spot that could stand to be upgraded, it just was never the spot where I would have started. Now we've made changes to almost every spot on our Oline, it's Greaves turn to be challenged for his job.  Chungh looks to be an upgrade, but it's a risk to count on him being ready to step in by week 1.  There are not a lot of plausible trades right now that involve Greaves that would make the Bombers better overall going in to camp, but there could be a few.  Walters will approach these conversations with an open mind, as he should.

Might be a player out there who makes us better.  Might not be.  GMs should be talking every week.  Maybe Walters dialed the number.  Maybe he just picked up the phone.  So far, nothing to see here.  Maybe that changes.  Right before camp starts, GMs take stock of what they have and what they might need.  It's a good time to explore a deal.

As for Greaves, his best year was above average, but I don't see him ever being a CFL all star.  It's a spot that could stand to be upgraded, it just was never the spot where I would have started. Now we've made changes to almost every spot on our Oline, it's Greaves turn to be challenged for his job.  Chungh looks to be an upgrade, but it's a risk to count on him being ready to step in by week 1.  There are not a lot of plausible trades right now that involve Greaves that would make the Bombers better overall going in to camp, but there could be a few.  Walters will approach these conversations with an open mind, as he should.

I agree. I think greaves is serviceable but an upgrade will be needed at some point now that we have depth and decent players in the pipeline.. If he can be moved for a piece that works, awesome otherwise keep him until someone surpasses him on the depth chart..

Fact of the matter is that the Bombers are not in a position to be giving away average players on the OL just yet. Picard is old, Neufeld is overrated (but loved by the GM I think for whatever reason) and Chung and Goosen are young. I think it would be a mistake to move Greaves without a big return coming back this season. Maybe if the youngsters step up you do it in the back half of the year or next season but right now it's too much of a gamble. 

I'd be very surprised if Picard's salary is carried beyond 2016 T.C.  They will get what they can out of him this year but I think his days are numbered and he will be replaced by Goosen to start next season.

Picard got released in Sask because he had an off season roster bonus due that they didn't want to pay. Likely a similar scenario will happen in Winnipeg next off season.works for the player. He either gets a chunk of cash early that likely secures his job or gets released early to seek employment elsewhere.

I feel like Picard is the epitome of a Grey Cup year acquisition.

Bridging the gap until Goossen is ready.

For sure he is a grade A stop gap. Whether that is for one season or two depends entirely on Goosen and the overall health of our OL. I think it is very safe to say that Picard was not brought in to be a long term solution.