If you were the GM...

northof60

Lawless seems to think Walters will back a brinks truck up to Heenan and offer him $250,000 as an opening offer.

What would that do for us moving forward

It would massively increase the number of holding penalties.....I'm pretty sure Heenan lead the Rider's in tackles last season ;)

Nationals national and more nationals.....don't spend a dime on internationals.....your scouting system is there to find them

Cuz imports are dime a dozen.. Blah blah blah.. Not every American can pick up the nuances of the CFL game.. How many wash out every year? Top tier american players are worth paying for because you know what your getting.. Bear woods would have been valuable, especially to us..

Nationals national and more nationals.....don't spend a dime on internationals.....your scouting system is there to find them

Cuz imports are dime a dozen.. Blah blah blah.. Not every American can pick up the nuances of the CFL game.. How many wash out every year? Top tier american players are worth paying for because you know what your getting.. Bear woods would have been valuable, especially to us..

You'd think these American free agents would at least wait to see what's out there. Bear Woods would have been coveted by a lot of teams. I can understand a Canadian resigning as a lot of them put down roots in CFL cities they play in. Get jobs & become a part of the community. But chances are in 10 years, a guy like Woods will be back in the US. So why not cash in while they still can?

You'd think these American free agents would at least wait to see what's out there. Bear Woods would have been coveted by a lot of teams. I can understand a Canadian resigning as a lot of them put down roots in CFL cities they play in. Get jobs & become a part of the community. But chances are in 10 years, a guy like Woods will be back in the US. So why not cash in while they still can?

Probably to get a signing bonus before December 31 rather than wait 2 months.  Or he's found a love interest.  But yeah, typically even a good import will only get a couple of chances to cash in during a CFL career.

Also, Montreal is an awesome city, a great combination of inexpensive and elegant. It doesn't have Vancouver / Toronto's cost of living, it's much nicer than Hamilton, and it doesn't have the relative isolation / hard-to-reachness of the west.

relative isolation / hard-to-reachness of the west....?????

Yeah, by relative isolation I mean that if you're in a Western city and you want to go to another city in any kind of reasonable timeframe, you've almost certainly got to fly, whereas if you're in Montreal, huge chunks of the populated North America are car trippable.

If you play in Winnipeg, you can drive to places like Thunder Bay, Fargo, Regina, and Saskatoon in a day. If you play in Montreal, you can easily drive to Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, New York City, or Quebec City in a day.

I'm not saying that this is super important to any particular football player, but when my family's considered moving back to a Canadian city, the isolation of the West is something we think about.

Also, Montreal is an awesome city, a great combination of inexpensive and elegant. It doesn't have Vancouver / Toronto's cost of living, it's much nicer than Hamilton, and it doesn't have the relative isolation / hard-to-reachness of the west.

What? If any society is isolated it's Quebec. They prefer it that way. 

you missed the point my friend.. Montreal is much closer major metropolitan centres then winnipeg, regina, edmonton or calgary are..

you missed the point my friend.. Montreal is much closer major metropolitan centres then winnipeg, regina, edmonton or calgary are..

SPuDs, Calgary, Edmonton & Vancouver are closer to Los Angeles, Hollywood, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, San Diego as well as other cities in the Western US than Montreal is. I think saying the West has relative isolation is totally wrong.

Yeah, by relative isolation I mean that if you're in a Western city and you want to go to another city in any kind of reasonable timeframe, you've almost certainly got to fly, whereas if you're in Montreal, huge chunks of the populated North America are car trippable.

If you play in Winnipeg, you can drive to places like Thunder Bay, Fargo, Regina, and Saskatoon in a day. If you play in Montreal, you can easily drive to Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, New York City, or Quebec City in a day.

I'm not saying that this is super important to any particular football player, but when my family's considered moving back to a Canadian city, the isolation of the West is something we think about.

I think isolation is a pretty harsh word. Not everyone worries about that or we'd have no pro teams in Winnipeg.

I think isolation is a pretty harsh word. Not everyone worries about that or we'd have no pro teams in Winnipeg.

I agree with you on that one. No matter what the sport. Pro athletes who are breaking in are happy to have a job. Pro Athletes who want to succeed go to winning teams. Pro Athletes who want glamour I can live without. Furthermore Glamour and CFL are not words to be used in the same sentence very often. 

I'm not saying that this is super important to any particular football player

Not everyone worries about that

Yes, you're right, that's pretty much what I said.

SPuDs, Calgary, Edmonton & Vancouver are closer to Los Angeles, Hollywood, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, San Diego as well as other cities in the Western US than Montreal is. I think saying the West has relative isolation is totally wrong.

Try this: draw a circle with a radius of about a day's drive -- say 800km -- centered on Edmonton or Calgary or Regina. Then draw the same radius around Montreal. See how many more cities and people are in the Montreal radius?

I've driven the country coast-to-coast and it's astonishing how wonderful the west is.

Pretty sure that if a US based player is offered a job in the CFL, his first question isn't, "Let's see, if I draw an 800 km circle around the city that wants to sign me, how many other cities and people does that cover?"  Your argument is weak (and that's being charitable) and I can't see any evidence that it would matter to the vast majority of people that want to play pro ball.  If an American kid is going to consider coming north to play, it's because he loves the game and wants a chance to show his stuff and maybe get a shot at the NFL.  He's not likely planning to settle down in Canada and start a family, so day trip opportunities are not going to be a consideration.